Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Weapon Abilities and Skill Increases

MasterSpatula
MasterSpatula
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey, so I'm trying to level some weapon skills as quickly as possible, and I'm finding the last 5 levels or so go at a serious snail's pace. Does anyone have any hard numbers on how much faster weapon skills will level with 3 abilities on your bar than they will with 2?
"A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle

Best Answer

• Cr4p0w3
    Cr4p0w3
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure about numbers but I assume as follows:

Weapons equiped = X% bonus XP
    1 skill equiped = 1X% bonus XP
    2 Skills equiped = 2X% bonus XP
    3 Skills equiped = 3X% bonus XP

If the above is true then with 2 skills and weapon you have 3X% Xp bonus, and with another skill equiped you will get 4X% bonus which will translate in a 33% increased XP gain

Edited by Cr4p0w3 on May 18, 2016 8:09PM
    Answer ✓
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or soft numbers? Rough guesses?
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    On ps-4 so no numbers but big rule what you want to gain the most xp have equipped when you turn in a quest for completion
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have any numbers on how much experience you gain for extra skills on your bar but I would recommend using as many as you can spare if you want to level it fast.

If you're questing to level then make your second bar full skills for that weapon and have a training weapon equipped on that bar. Also have at least one skill from that weapon line (even if not using that weapon) on your main bar.

The fastest way to level it would be grinding with a partner with as many XP buffs as you can stack.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All good information, but nothing I didn't know. I'm just trying to find that sweet spot of maximizing skill gain without completely sacrificing the utility of other abilities.
  • Kungfu
    Kungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    IMO if you can survive, sacrifice the utility. It's a short-term investment.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose. Considering in my entire night of gameplay last night, I managed to get both skills from just-48 to 60% of the way to 49, I may never complete this if I don't go up to 3 abilities on the bar. I was just hoping to learn what the actual difference turns out to be.
    Edited by MasterSpatula on May 17, 2016 7:53PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All good information, but nothing I didn't know. I'm just trying to find that sweet spot of maximizing skill gain without completely sacrificing the utility of other abilities.

Run the Training Trait on your weapons. While leveling, you don't need Precise or Sharpened or Nirnhorned. If you improve the weapon to Blue or Purple, you will really rack up the leveling on the weapon lines.

I have never had more than 2 weapon skills on my bars while leveling, and I have maxed 2 to 4 weapon lines before my characters hit L50. Really, you only need to get each weapon line you want to L38 to unlock the last skill. Yes, there was some public dungeon grinding along the way, but that has other benefits on top of everything else.
    Edited by Nestor on May 17, 2016 7:57PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did I make a mistake in assuming that "Players Helping Players" is what it says on the tin? Is this actually "New Player Help" by a different name?

I appreciate everyone's attempts to help me out, really I do, but I asked a very specific question about one very specific mechanic of the game.

Should I have taken this question to "General Discussion?" By posting here, did I automatically imply that I need to be told the most basic stuff?
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (I hope I didn't come off as insulting. I know people are legitimately trying to help and not trying to insult me, but when you tell someone who goes back to Early Release that Training trait help you level skills faster, it's hard for him not to feel like you must think he's a moron. I'm trying to get my fifth and sixth weapon skills up to 50, just for my own satisfaction, in Gold zones. I was just hoping for the numbers to see if the additional XP of a third ability on my bar was worth it to me.)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You asked for the fastest way to level a skill line, we told you. Hanging on to the concept of being as powerful as you can be while doing this is the choice you need to make. You already answered your own question by concluding that it will take longer unless you have more skills on the bar while grinding.

No, we did not think you were a moron. That is a insulting term to use for a new player who is trying to understand the game, but I digress. You also did not state, nor are we required to know by clairvoyance how long you have been playing the game. Or do you expect people to look at every forum profile for a join date before we post in a thread? Even then, longevity on a forum does not make for an experienced player.

You do need to understand that this thread serves all forum visitors looking for information on how to level a weapon skill the fastest. So, if you get a bunch of useful information and some of that information is useless to you or known to you, that is what you get. I think you are smart enough to sift the wheat from the chaff here.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Except I never asked that question. I asked if anyone could quantify the difference between three abilities on the bar and two abilities on the bar, and that's all I asked.

I certainly never stated that new players are morons, though I can kind of understand the confusion.

But your last paragraph makes a good point, that when I ask a question on the forums, I have to accept that I'm not the only one who's going to read or use the responses.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Except I never asked that question.

Yes, you did:
    "Hey, so I'm trying to level some weapon skills as quickly as possible"

Which is what people responded to. The actual number difference between 2 or 3 skills slotted is simply a sub-question of your main question.
    Which is: "How to level weapon skills as quickly as possible".

Either way, as someone who has everything maxed at 50 as well as maxed every class skill and every armor skill and every weapon skill and all ultimates and all their morphs, i can tell you that the posts above are spot on.
    bye1.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on May 18, 2016 8:32PM
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cr4p0w3 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about numbers but I assume as follows:

Weapons equiped = X% bonus XP
    1 skill equiped = 1X% bonus XP
    2 Skills equiped = 2X% bonus XP
    3 Skills equiped = 3X% bonus XP

If the above is true then with 2 skills and weapon you have 3X% Xp bonus, and with another skill equiped you will get 4X% bonus which will translate in a 33% increased XP gain

I misread your post at first, and thought those numbers seemed awfully low. Then I re-read it and thought they seemed awfully high. If you're right, it sounds very much worth it.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Except I never asked that question.

Yes, you did:
    "Hey, so I'm trying to level some weapon skills as quickly as possible"

Which is what people responded to. The actual number difference between 2 or 3 skills slotted is simply a sub-question of your main question.
    Which is: "How to level weapon skills as quickly as possible".

Either way, as someone who has everything maxed at 50 as well as maxed every class skill and every armor skill and every weapon skill and all ultimates and all their morphs, i can tell you that the posts above are spot on.
    bye1.gif

You should really learn what a question is. There was clearly only one question in the OP, which was indicated by the question mark (?) at the end.

BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA