Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

VR to CP, the future of crafting, and Potency runes

phaneub17_ESO
phaneub17_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I don't really know how to explain this, but I see a weird future in crafting when we convert to CP, not right away mind you. Much of what we have today will remain, but when the CP cap gets raised will they do it slowly or in big chunks? Will there be multiple tiers or one big tier? At least for VR even if they were to raise it to VR20 you still have to level through 17, 18, and 19 before getting to 20 with the associated leveled gear and crafting mats acquired along the way. With CP if you're already over the new raised Cap, you instantly skip over any tiers in between. Let's say the next cap from 160 gets raised to 200 and they created 4 new tiers at 170, 180, 190, and 200; most of the crafting items associated with 170-190 may become a scarce commodity as people above the cap basically skip over it and only those accounts who aren't there yet will be able to farm for them.

This might be a reason for the Potency rune change and why they decided to have Potency runes for sale at vendors, they may have foresaw this outcome when they plan on raising the cap. If you were skip over the minimum CP in order to acquire 170, 180, and 190 Potency runes; you may never see them in your game time when places where they be obtainable is automatically scaled to 200. Only those who are below the cap will ever be able to acquire them in the field, dungeons, or as rewards; those over the Cap players will only see Max Cap items every time they raise the CP cap. You're just going to have a lot of low quantity middle ground caps when the disparity of different CP caps come into play.
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they do a gear CP raise I expect it will be like the previous level cap raising where they raised the level and introduced one new material for all of the new levels. Will be interesting to see if they raise the crafting requirements i.e. blacksmithing of 60 ect.

After finally getting the new crafting bag I won't really need it anymore because of the removal of VRs all of my characters except for my mule will go over the gear cap so I will probably dump all of the low level materials.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • Serenityx
    Serenityx
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't a clue who thought it was okay to allow CP to be gained after the cap was reached. It doesn't seem like a good idea to let players level to "infinity" (figure of speech ofc-I know there is a massive XP curve once you get too many) and not use those levels.
    Ive also put a lot of thought into the "side effects" DB will bring. If I'm right about half of anything, the least I will say is its not going to be an easy economy for those just starting out, or even those who have played for several months but haven't ammased a good amount of wealth.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, right now, only the DLC areas have nodes that scale to your level/crafting level, so you can still farm the lower-tier mats in your faction and silver/gold zones.

Except, of course, for potency runes, which will be scaled once DB drops. Unless, of course, they've changed that. But, this change to how potencies are harvested across all zones, may be a harbinger of all nodes being scaled in future. I hope not, for serious crafters need to be able to harvest materials of all levels. But, only time will tell...