Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Finding specific recipes needed for writs? Impossible?

prax07
prax07
✭✭
Giving proviosing another reluctact try, and I'm finding it impossible. Just got a writ to make venison pasty and honey rye. I of course don't have those two recipes, and searching the myriad guild traders is the really impossiblevpart, like trying to find a micro needle in a haystack. Is tgere an easier way to find specific recioes? It's like ZOS doesn't want anyone to craft with how truely terrible it is to find specific items on vendors. How do you guys do it? About to throw in the towel on this and destroy every ingredient I've ever collected. On the xbox one, in case it matterrs. And no, not a member of a guild and no friends that play.
  • AGrz5585
    AGrz5585
    ✭✭✭
    I believe when thieves guild launched they added all provisioning recipes to the Brewer npcs in taverns
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AGrz5585 wrote: »
    I believe when thieves guild launched they added all provisioning recipes to the Brewer npcs in taverns
    Yes. All the green recipes needed for writs are now sold by NPC's.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • prax07
    prax07
    ✭✭
    I'm at a brewer right now and those aren't there, just ones I already have for nut brown ale and clarified wine. Screw it I'm done with crafting in this game, it shouldn't be this stressful.
  • Ritzey01
    Ritzey01
    ✭✭✭
    I believe it might be the chef NPC's that sell them.
  • AntMan100673
    AntMan100673
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, the brewers sell the drink recipes and the chefs sell the food recipes
    EU - EP - Dunmer - Dragonknight - Magicka DPS - CP160

GT: AntMan100673
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    They do sell some but having the same problem they don't have the one I need checked both chief and brewer
  • Ritzey01
    Ritzey01
    ✭✭✭
    May need to go to a higher level area then, because they sell all of them required for writs in the level appropriate zone.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can also check guild stores. Much cheaper than the NPCs.
  • kungmoo
    kungmoo
    ✭✭✭
    the recipes they sell is based off your provisioning skill, not the zone you go to
    Some men are alive simply because it is against the law to kill them. -Edward W. Howe
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I got most of my missing recipes through guild traders, just checked every trader as I found them. It would be nice if they came up with a search tool that covered all traders instead of you having to travel all over the place for them.

I think the higher level recipes are easier to come across - before I hit level 30 or 35 I hardly ever found a recipe. There are still a couple of low level writ recipes I did not have but all my chars provisioning writs now require vet level 15 food/drink and I had all of those recipes before I needed them for writs.

The other thing is that provisioning writs are the only ones your character does not have to make - only deliver them. So you can find a friend or guild member to make a supply for you.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Articulemort
    Articulemort
    ✭✭✭
    Finding recipes is actually quite easy. Just look in backpacks for the proper level zoned area. For instance, if you are making level 1 recipes, go to bleakrock if your in ebonheart pact, or whatever your factions starting area is. Level 2 recipes are in stonefalls, so on and so forth. To grind for them, find an area where a few backpacks are near a way shrine, search the backpacks then fast travel to the way shrine to refresh the backpacks and search again. Continue to you find the recipe you need. I will tell you certain recipes especially writ recipes can go for a lot of gold, if people know what they are.
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did some checking on this recently.
    1. All chefs and brewers sell writ recipes
    2. The vendors offer recipes for your current recipe improvement passive level and the one below it.
    3. The vendors stop at recipe improvement 5 (bug?)

My provisioning writ guide includes all the recipes you need for each faction and the location of the recipe vendors in the writ turn-in towns. Also, I have just recently started to include the prices of the recipes as well. Perhaps, it will help.

http://benevolentbowd.ca/esotu/eso-provisioning-writs/
    Edited by BenevolentBowd on May 10, 2016 6:38PM
    Megaservers: PC NA (sometimes) / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (mostly)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Shared My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    ESO Calendarmancer - Retired
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • CosmicSherpa
    Generally I've found all the recipes in the inn/bar nearest the location of where I got the writ. E,g I picked provisioning up in riften, went to both bars/inns/taverns in riften and they had the recipes. Same in stormhaven and belkarth and wrothgar.

I only just started on provisioning again after giving up as couldn't find recipes. Now I'm finding recipes everywhere.

Cosmic
    I'Zelda -VR 16 Dark Elf DragonKnight, Master Thief, Ebonheart Pact,(& 4 Other lower lvl characters lvl 7 to VR2)

Always looking willing comrades to conquer Craglorn as well as Wrothgar Daily Bosses, Undaunted Pledges, general dungeoning all while having a laugh in the process. Always around to help with questing or just to kill stuff for no real reason... Crafter of weapons and armour up to VR 16 (6 to 8 traits on most items (lacking nirnhoned trait))

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." Terry Pratchett

Asaro.enjin.com