The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Race Changes

Heroic_Defender
Heroic_Defender
✭✭✭
I've been hearing a lot about their being a possible in-game race change option from players online, is this true?
  • Heroic_Defender
    Heroic_Defender
    ✭✭✭
    I've been hearing a lot about their being a possible in-game race change option from players online, is this true?

If not, I would like to know so that way I can delete my Vet 16 Khajiit and start over as a Wood Elf, because I want to make a Wood Elf with a character name identical to my Xbox One gamer tag.
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If not, I would like to know so that way I can delete my Vet 16 Khajiit and start over as a Wood Elf, because I want to make a Wood Elf with a character name identical to my Xbox One gamer tag.

When DB DLC is released, one can buy 4 more char slots...
  • Heroic_Defender
    Heroic_Defender
    ✭✭✭
    k9mouse wrote: »

Not what I asked, never mind just going to delete my Vet 16 Khajiit
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ok, up to you. If I was in your shoes, I would wait and use an extra slot instead of "wasting" PURRRfectly good Khajiit and hours of work into him or her. It is your game, play as you please (within reason ;) )
  • Heroic_Defender
    Heroic_Defender
    ✭✭✭
    I was asking if what I've been hearing about their being a possible in-game race change option in the near future was true or not?
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someday in the forseeable future, there will be character recustomization feature coming to ESO. The race-change option has been mentioned as coming with or in the wake of it as well...

So, yes it is true from the best of our knowledge, although... "No ETA"

All we know at this time is that we will get more info sometime after they finish with all the Q2 DarkBrotherhood stuff from the "Year Ahead" announcement back in january... DLC and update plan section. So... keep your eyes peeled for announcements in two months or so I'd be guessing... somewhere around that time we might get more concrete info.

• Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Race change will come as bonus effect for equipping 5 pieces of the lore-breaker set.
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Muizer wrote: »
    Race change will come as bonus effect for equipping 5 pieces of the lore-breaker set.

Deals 10,000 unresistable damage to your immersion!
    PC/EU DC
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes they talked about doing it later this year I think so dont delete that V16 yet
    Beta tester November 2013
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Its a player driven rumor. Think about it. Why on Nirn would it be okay for your character to just suddenly become a different species? Continuity alone would scream in agony.
    Edited by ArchMikem on May 1, 2016 1:06AM
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

Its a player driven rumor. .

No it isnt, they talked about it on an ESO Live. They will allow race change but not class change.

• Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Its a player driven rumor. Think about it. Why on Nirn would it be okay for your character to just suddenly become a different species? Continuity alone would scream in agony.

In Greenshade, there is a quest involving an npc changing race.

And ZOS confirmed it is coming.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abeille wrote: »

But...but... How is that even immersive?
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

cs_1c2afd627bdb0fc8eb3dbe5a3436b83d.gif

I HATE that explanation, but I doubt we will get anything better than that :T

On that quest, it is a mushroom concoction. Ideally, it would be just some sort of illusion... But we know it will affect racial passives, so it can't be just an illusion.

We will have to accept it as just a game system and do not take it into consideration at all for immersion reasons.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:

Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry but this is a stupid arguement.
    If it breaks your Immersion, you dont have to use the feature. Someone else changing the race on their character doesnt effect you in the slightest.

If it lets someone be happier with a character they invested time and sometimes money into and continue to play that character, it is a good thing.

I have a character I would love to change the race on. It is V2 with max bags and max horse which takes 6 freaking months to do. I should not have to delete and re-roll that character just because I am unhappy with it as it is.
    Edited by Katahdin on May 1, 2016 1:35AM
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay then, i want to ask a legit question then.

Why would people care about their character's appearance, if they didnt care about the character itself to begin with. Surely if you cared that much, then youd want to keep your character's state of who they are after the initial creation?

I just dont see the need to give an option to people who go, "i want to be a nord. Oh, now i want to be an argonian. No, wait, now i want to be an altmer.".
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »

If it breaks your Immersion, dont do it. Someone else changing the race on their character doesnt effect you in the slightest.
    If it lets someone be happier with a character they invested time and sometimes money into and continue to play that character, it is a good thing.

I have a character I would love to change the race on. It is V2 with max bags and max horse which takes 6 freaking months to do. I should not have to delete and re-roll that character just because I am unhappy with it as it is.

Yep. And if your big fat Nord guy roleplayer friend shows up as a tiny Bosmer girl one day, which I doubt will happen often because it is not an option I see many roleplayers using, you have to deal with it like if that character was always like that - or it is an illusion.

Why would people care about their character's appearance, if they didnt care about the character itself to begin with. Surely if you cared that much, then youd want to keep your character's state of who they are after the initial creation?

I just dont see the need to give an option to people who go, "i want to be a nord. Oh, now i want to be an argonian. No, wait, now i want to be an altmer.".

They care for the racial passives.
    Edited by Abeille on May 1, 2016 1:56AM

Meet my characters:

• Dunkmeister
    Dunkmeister
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't they leave races as they are but remove the passives and change them to a buff similar to mundus stones? They could call it Blessing of the Dunmer, etc. Then players could visit the appropriate priest NPC for each race and apply the blessing of their choice which grants those passives.
    Dunkmeister - DK Firemage AD NA Server
    PVE Achievement Collector
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't they leave races as they are but remove the passives and change them to a buff similar to mundus stones? They could call it Blessing of the Dunmer, etc. Then players could visit the appropriate priest NPC for each race and apply the blessing of their choice which grants those passives.

Because that will break lore even more than changing race would.

You know if you actually cared for lore and such.

By lore high elves have good magic affinity.

By lore Woof elves and better sneaky/assassin type characters.

PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Dunkmeister
    Dunkmeister
    ✭✭✭

Because that will break lore even more than changing race would.

You know if you actually cared for lore and such.

By lore high elves have good magic affinity.

By lore Woof elves and better sneaky/assassin type characters.

Yeah. I'm not too bound by lore.

I just wish something could be done. My main is 2 years old with 17k achievement points and I don't want to remake him but sure wish I could change his race. It's a different game than it was two years ago.
    Dunkmeister - DK Firemage AD NA Server
    PVE Achievement Collector
  • Mordiez
    Mordiez
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't matter if its immersive or not. if your doing it, it obviously doesn't matter to you.
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Namechange via crownstore is first to come.
    Has been datamined by some russian guys. Also buyable motifs,pets and the 4 versions for the Wolfmount. ^^.

• TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has been said before, but... well... I am sorry to have to tell you this again, but the whole Elder Scrolls lore is FULL of race changes.

Chimer being changed into Dunmer.
    Altmer being changed into Orsimer.

A Dunmer using an alchemical potion to turn himself into an Argonian while trying for Khajiit and getting the mixture wrong in Greenshade.
    A few Nords and an unlucky Breton getting changed into Goblins by the "Emerald Chalice" in Rivenspire.
    A couple people getting changed into money, rat and dog form through alchemy in Sentinel (granted, not the kind of race change players want, but still...)

So...
    cs_1c2afd627bdb0fc8eb3dbe5a3436b83d.gif
    ...indeed. ;)

That I would consider a legit question.

Yes, some people care little about their character as -character- they see it only as collection of stats, and they want the most effective race, and they want race change because some passives rebalancing cost them a half percentage point of super-effectiveness, or rather, the build that worked super-well doesn't work so well anymore and they want a new FOTM. For them appereance is just a decoration, nothing more, and character backstory nonexistant. You can often tell them by names like "Supercanadian" or "noobslayerX" or "Urlackofskillz"... (Disclaimer - those are not names I have ever seen in this game, I just made them up here and now. Any Resemblance to Actual ESO Character Names, Playing or Banned, is Purely Coincidental!)

Some other people care about their character, but may occasionally feel a need to reinvent themselves to make a clean break with an roleplay that did not end well. Then they would like to keep all the time invested, the riding lessions, crafting research and alliance rank earned, but want a new race, a new name and a new appereance. And are willing to spend some crowns on it.

And of course those who care about their character and have no pressing reason will continue to play their less then super-effective combinations like Dunmer Nightblades, Orc Templars, Nord Sorcerors or Argonian Dragonknights... (yup, all some of mine...). If you don't like race change, noone is forcing you to use it! (Although, if they ever added new races... I might be tempted to turn my Bosmer Huntress into a Gobbo... ;) )
  • Pirsius
    Pirsius
    ✭✭✭
    From a lore standpoint, you did start the game as a soul. Who says a soul is bound to a specific race?

If Caldwell and Meridia can somehow revert time/make people seemingly forget who you are, just so you can play through other alliances; I'm sure there is some daedric trickery that can be performed that will facilitate race changes. After all, there have been weirder things happen in the Elder Scrolls Universe thanks to daedra.

Granted, I am perfectly content with my characters' races; so I am not sure if I would take part in the race changes. For those that do, maybe make it a one-time deal per character, or make the cost grow exponentially for each character race change.
  • Francescolg
    Francescolg
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any news on race change coming in the next patch as advertised?
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any news on race change coming in the next patch as advertised?
    Never was advertised as to be in the Q2 Dark Brotherhood, but always mentioned as coming After that one, sometime. As I mentioned in an earlier post.

In all likelyhood, it will come with or in the wake of the character recustomization feature, because if you change your race, chances are you would also like to change your looks rather then pray the sliders that made a good looking khajiit will work well for a decent faced altmer...

And we kinda know that one won't be coming until the second half of the year - early in it if we are lucky, late in it if not. And worse case... well, let's hope it doesn't come to that.
  • Ampnode
    Ampnode
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was a supporter for race chances. Now? There's no VRs in the next DLC, which means you can level an alt to "max" in a day. They have been saying it's coming whenever they finish the 'Barber Shop'.
    PC NA - CP640+

Characters:
    Amp - Magicka Nightblade
    Amp - Magicka Sorcerer
    Amp - Magicka Templar
    Amp - Stamina Dragonknight
    Amp - Stamina Templar
    Amp - Magicka Dragonknight
    Amp - Stamina Sorcerer
    Amp - Stamina Nightblade
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ampnode wrote: »
    Was a supporter for race chances. Now? There's no VRs in the next DLC, which means you can level an alt to "max" in a day. They have been saying it's coming whenever they finish the 'Barber Shop'.

I'd really like to know what you did with your life to level a character to Fifty in a single day's time, since I in fact have no life and it's taking me weeks.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And in Stormhave, an NPC turns into a crocodile. That doesn't make it something that's common.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • D0ntevenL1ft
    D0ntevenL1ft
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you delete your khajit today and they release race change tomorrow