The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Very specific problem - 64 bit client

Tinolyn
Tinolyn
✭✭✭
OK. Tried again, failed within 2 minutes, to use the 64 bit client.

Here's the thing. It always crashes on the SAME character when I'm switching between characters. I currently have 5 characters. The specific character it crashes on is the Dragonknight... my second character in the list.

I log on to another character, do some stuff, log off, switch to another character, etc. I do this for three characters. I get to the fourth character -- the DK -- and it crashes EVERY SINGLE TIME while loading. To the point that I cannot close the ESO64 exe file. My screen goes black. I can windows key + D to get to the taskbar, but right clicking close window just does nothing. The music is still playing. But I also cannot switch to task manager or to my desktop. It's like the video crashed. No, there is no error. I have to restart to be able to operate my computer again.

I have set up ESO64.exe the same as ESO.exe -- run as administrator, same compatibility, everything. My video settings in Nvidia profiles are the same for both .exe files. I have allowed both files (hell, the entire directory of zenimax online) as whitelisted through Avast. The firewall allows both ESO.exe and ESO64.exe through.

And yet this does not happen at all on ESO.exe. Only ESO64.exe.

I'd really like to use the 64 bit version. But I'd love to play it on all of my characters, not four of them only. Especially since it runs resources better (at least, until the crash). FPS is far better too.

My system:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Nvidia GTX 960 (2GB)
1 TB Hard Drive
8 GB RAM
AMD 8350 (8 cores) @ 4.0 GHz.

So. Can you help me figure out why I cannot switch to this character, and it forces me to reboot?
  • Tinolyn
    Tinolyn
    ✭✭✭
    Update:

It's something about the character switching and getting stuck at loading. I switch three characters,, load into the game, no problem. I get to the fourth character. The fourth character gets stuck at "requesting character load." It's an even chance if it freezes and I have to restart at this point, or if I can close it out with Win +D/right click and close the window.

Adding: NO addons installed.
    Edited by Tinolyn on April 30, 2016 7:41PM
  • KallistaBlackheart
    KallistaBlackheart
    ✭✭✭
    try deleting all your addons and your addon's saved variable files. the saved variable you can just move to another folder for now and move them back if needed.
  • Tinolyn
    Tinolyn
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry. No addons. Should have mentioned that.
  • Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a video card driver issue, screen goes black, I was having a similar issue when logging out of the game, black screen, couldn't do anything but reboot my system, Dled the newest Nivda drivers and it hasn't happened since, i don't know. I have a G force GTX 650, W10 new Rig etc.

One thing does bug me though, why does it say in my task manger "launcher 32 bit" and when game is running it still say 32 bit ? I have 64 bit W10....
  • Hookgrin
    Hookgrin
    ✭✭✭
    Two things I would try:

First, use the 32 bit client to log on to that character and strip them naked including weapons. Move them to a remote wayshrine in a less busy zone. Then log on to another character before closing out. Wait 2 minutes for the account server to close the connection to your account, then log on using the 64 bit client and see if it behaves any different. You can also try pushing as much of that characters inventory into the bank as you have room for.

Second, go into the Elder Scrolls Online folder in your documents folder (for Windows, don't know about Mac) open the live folder, open the SavedVariables folder. Locate the file ZO_ingame.lua, change the name by preceding it with OLD. Start the 64bit client and try loading your character. If it does not do any better close out, delete the recreated version of that file and restore the old one by changing the name back.

Basically your are trying to rule out that there is something about that character's data set in your account that is causing an initialization process to fail. Hopefully it is something you can influence and not some part that you can't.
    Reevster wrote: »
    One thing does bug me though, why does it say in my task manger "launcher 32 bit" and when game is running it still say 32 bit ? I have 64 bit W10....

The game does not yet automatically select the 64bit version due to it still being buggy and considered "in beta". You have to locate the eso64.exe and run that.
  • Tinolyn
    Tinolyn
    ✭✭✭
    Hookgrin wrote: »

Second, go into the Elder Scrolls Online folder in your documents folder (for Windows, don't know about Mac) open the live folder, open the SavedVariables folder. Locate the file ZO_ingame.lua, change the name by preceding it with OLD. Start the 64bit client and try loading your character. If it does not do any better close out, delete the recreated version of that file and restore the old one by changing the name back.

This seems to have helped, somewhat. Though now I have more of the issues everyone else has with the 64-bit client -- sounds looping, missing or that loud hissing noise. But over the weekend, I didn't crash and have to force reboot after doing this. So thank you for that!
  • Tinolyn
    Tinolyn
    ✭✭✭
    Spoke too soon. Of course it crashed on me again.

I give up. I'll just forget using this client until you actually take it out of alpha.