Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Tip: How to Use Microsoft Excel to Calculate and Track Researching

TheSpin
TheSpin
✭✭✭
I'm super geek for writing this, but this method saves a lot of time and is a super accurate way to handle researching, so who doesn't love that?

Here's what I've done:

Basic table stuff:

1. Make a table (or tables for multiple crafts) for each item/trait combination.
2. Have your main researcher and an alt/mule to hold non-researched gear.
3. Track researched items, items held in bank, and items held by the mule with their own identifyer. I use X for researched M for mule and B for bank (plus color codes).
4. Include a row for the total number of items researched and use a different cell color for each number to help you quickly identify which pieces of gear need to be researched next if you are trying to research them equally to make gear sets. (if I have 0 or 1 thing researched, the cell is unhighlighted, at 2 I color it grey, at 3 it's brown, at 4 it's gold, 5 green, 6 blue etc)

Formula for calculating research time

1. When you look at the timer for something you are researching, excel can calculate exactly when it will be finished. Here's the formula I use.

=NOW()+#days+#hours/24

for example, lets say something has 5 days and 10 hours left to research. I would type "=now()+5+10/24"

*note, you can include minutes, the easiest way for me is to round it to the nearest quarter hours (in the example above, if it was 10 hours and 30 minutes, I would simply use 10.5 rather than 10)

2. VERY IMPORTANT: After calculating using the formula above, you need to convert that number to a set value so it doesn't update it with the new "now" each time you open excel. To do this, I just copy the cell, and paste the cell as a value right on top of the cell I just copied.

3. Formatting Cells: I like to format the cells as 'day of the month' 'day of the week' and then 'time' (with a 24 hour clock)
Example: something will be done researching on Wednesday, May 4th at 7:30 am, I format the cell to display "4 Wed 07:30" This provides good information but also doesn't take up too much space.
To do this, you need to format it as a custom date format like this "d ddd hh:mm;@ "
Format all cells in the spreadsheet as explained above before you even start on the rest.

It takes a little time to setup, but it's way worth it to me.
If anybody actually wants to do this and you need additional instruction, I'll try to explain things in more detail if you tell me which part you don't understand.
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheSpin wrote: »
    I'm super geek for writing this, but this method saves a lot of time and is a super accurate way to handle researching, so who doesn't love that?
    Yes you are, I admire your passion and knowledge, but tbh I can handle all my 8 chars reasearching constantly without additional excel sheet, and if I'm late a day or two to start a new research, it really doesn't matter :).
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because I often craft gear I have a sheet set-up for people's requirements which then gives the total number of mats they'll need. I simply colour-code the cells according to the traffic light system.

It works well enough
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find these type of spread sheets are most useful for the first 3 or 4 traits, when hours matter if your trying to get to enough traits to make a 2 or 3 or 4 Trait set. After that, missing a day or so does not have a huge impact on the over all scheme.

Also, you need to take into consideration any Research Passives that shorted the time needed for Research, and if you have ESO Plus or something else that reduces the research time.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• TheSpin
    TheSpin
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I find these type of spread sheets are most useful for the first 3 or 4 traits, when hours matter if your trying to get to enough traits to make a 2 or 3 or 4 Trait set. After that, missing a day or so does not have a huge impact on the over all scheme.

Also, you need to take into consideration any Research Passives that shorted the time needed for Research, and if you have ESO Plus or something else that reduces the research time.

Yes, if you spend any skill points into research (or respec out of them) or change subscription status then you have to recalculate. Once the sheet is setup though, it's very easy to enter the formula again with the new data.