The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Sorcerer Pet Improvement Suggestions

Caeric
Caeric
✭✭✭
Section 1: Basics

Pets need health bars (see my post here)

Pets should scale based on sorcerer level and on choices made by the sorcerer in attribute, skill, and enhancements allocation (including armor set bonuses). For example, increasing sorcerer spell resistance increases pet spell resistance by some amount. Pets should also benefit from choices made in the assignment of champion points.

When any pet is summoned, basic pet controls appear (aggressive/passive, attack/return, unsummon, etc.) These can be hotkeyed.

Section 2: The Summons

Rename the skill line to Summoning

Present at least 3 sub-choices initially:
  • Daedric
  • Spectral
  • Nature

The current skills Daedric Curse, Bound Armor, and Conjured Ward will remain functionally the same, although the name and perhaps visuals will be different based on the chosen sub-line.

This sub-line choice is locked when chosen (and confirmed), but becomes unlocked at any respec. The three skills that are the same regardless of sub-line chosen will be considered learned upon respec if already learned via any other sub-line (there will be no need to build them back up to level IV upon respec). The pets could function similarly, or could be set to start at base level and have to be raised per standard skill progression.

Section 3: The Looks

The Daedric line would present the current pet summoning options as base models.

The Spectral line would present a 'warrior' spirit and a 'mage' spirit, the base model being of the same race as the sorcerer (perhaps ancestral spirits).

The Nature line would present as base models a spriggan and a lurcher.

In each line, either permit a choice in the 'skin' outright, via gaining skill levels (I-IV and then morphed I-IV), or require/encourage the sorcerer to quest for new pets to summon. The spectral line improvement would allow other races and armor/weapon choices. Each 'skin' or pet can be set via selections in the skill line window. Here is a Crown Store opportunity for you ZOS - new pets/'skins' could be available via store purchase.

For Nature based pets (spriggan and lurcher), the accent glow color will change based on the type of weapon used. A fire staff will result in a fire (red) spriggan and lurcher. An ice staff will result in white, lightning in blue, and healing in green. Pet summons from other skill sub-lines can be similarly trimmed if desired.

Section 4: The Skills

Summoning skills need be placed in only one skill slot, and the pet will remain even if the weapon is swapped. If the pet dies, the pet must be re-summoned via switching to that weapon skill bar (if necessary) and selecting the skill for the summon.

The basic nature of the pet (available attack/defense) will be determined by the weapon type of the bar on which it is placed. For example, if placed on skill bar 1 associated with a destruction staff, the basic nature of the pet will be tanking/damage. If placed on skill bar 2 associated with a healing staff, the basic nature of the pet will be defense/healing.

In the case of a destruction staff, the nature of the attacks will change based on the type of destruction staff much like the entire destruction staff skill line changes based on which type of staff is chosen (fire, ice, lightning).

Stamina based weapons will provide for stamina based pets and physical/disease/poison attacks. The skill will functionally be a stamina based skill. NOTE: This will change the resource used for the initial summons to stamina, but this could instead be set by a toggle in the skill window, by using whichever basic resource is higher (magicka vs. stamina), or some other method such as spell damage vs. weapon damage.

Each pet will have a variety of basic attacks: knockdowns, stuns, taunts, 'heavy' attacks, 'short' attacks, etc.

The special ability of the pet can be activated only when the weapon bar on which it appears is active. This ability functions separately from the type of weapon used and (as above for basic attacks) draws on the resource pool associated with the caster's build, either stamina or magicka. The familiar/clannfear, warrior spirit, and lurcher will have a special 'attack' ability. The twilight, mage spirit, and spriggan will have a special 'healing' ability.

Summoning skills cannot be placed on the overload bar.

Section 4: The Ultimate

The Ultimate summon will be immune to CC and mobile. Initial skins are:
  • Daedric: Storm Atronach
  • Spectral: Wisp Mother
  • Nature: Nereid

Disclaimer: Some of these ideas were my own, and some were based on posts in another thread.
Edited by Caeric on April 30, 2016 8:52PM
  • bloodenragedb14_ESO
    bloodenragedb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    except for the nature, i agree

my only problem with nature is that its largly non-canon, i dont remember any spells avaible to players in older games that allow summoning natural creatures

now, i think changing it to 'atronach' would be better, destruction mages just naturally want a summon immune to their power
    the frost atronach would be the tank, the fire the ranged dps, storm is obvious here

Necromancy really needs to be introduced to players, and im not speaking of raising a corpse, summoning spirits like you have suggested is a nice loophole in the mages guild guidelines, still a bit controversial, but close enough to be ingored, but not the whispmother as a ult, truth is no one is quite sure what the wispmothers are, and ot refer to them as a undead still may be inaccurate, if anything it shoudl be replaced with a Gloom Wraith, or a Wrathman.
    Perhaps bonemen and mistmen would be better for normal summons

the daedric line should not be stuck with such basic summons as we have now, as far as difficulty in lore, scamps clanfear and twilight are rather low on the totem pole, i want to see some daedroths and xivili, or maybe even a dremora, or dark seducer/golden saint

i can understand your and others need for a nature line, but as a student of canon, having played the other games, i dont see a way to justify it in my mind

summoning/conjuration is about breaking through the viel of oblivion, pulling and binding a oblivional creature to your will, nature summons would be a whole nother category of magic
  • Caeric
    Caeric
    ✭✭✭
    ... i dont remember any spells avaible to players in older games that allow summoning natural creatures

Fair enough, and thank you for the comments. As I am not a student of canon I can only draw upon what I know from the game.

I thought of nature due to the lurcher guardians used by the Bosmer in Greenshade (I think - there's a quest there about creating different types of lurchers).

The sub-lines were suggestions to change things up. I would be okay with any other sub-line choices inserted into the model.

The choices for the ultimate were just what popped into my head as I was typing - and in truth, based on the model there would be many eventual pets/skins so any other suggestions would fit without issue.
  • bloodenragedb14_ESO
    bloodenragedb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

in truth i believe necromancy, on its own, should be introduced as a universal skill line, there is some conflict due to the mages guild of this era having banned the practice, but then again so to has necromancy been banned in TES 4 and i think 3, yet the spells to summon such creatures were avaible to players regardless, so i dont think it is a strictly enforced rule of the guild in most cases.

It would, of course, need to be wholly different from the summoning skill line, but there is alot to work with in lore, so i really thing it should be thought about more seriously by the devs
  • Caeric
    Caeric
    ✭✭✭
    I see the Spectral line above as something totally separate from necromancy though - these are more helper spirits than bound spirits and animated corpses.

I suppose necromancy could be introduced as a separate skill line, much as new skill lines have been (and will be) introduced with new DLC. However, I wonder at what point, if ever, ZOS will release new classes. If they do, I can see them introducing Necromancer as a class, one line of which would be a pet based line.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna guess that before we see any new classes we will see gear that summons things.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • bloodenragedb14_ESO
    bloodenragedb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna guess that before we see any new classes we will see gear that summons things.

gods i hope not, i do not like gear based skill progression
  • Caeric
    Caeric
    ✭✭✭

I truly hope not as well.

As I haven't the background to pull from lore, I will say in a general sense that 'summoning' from an item would require a spirit (or spirits) be bound to that item. This would necessarily limit the scope of that item to something much less than the capabilities of a full necromancer class.

This would allow for something akin to the Spectral summoning sub-line outlined in my original post, but it would be much more beneficial in the long run for ZOS to implement a fully featured pet summoning system that can be drawn upon, eventually, by multiple classes. We've seen multiple NPCs summon all sorts of things.

In fact, the game already has glimpses of many other potential classes, both as mentioned above and via the occasional random duels that one wanders upon while traversing the world. I would much rather see some of these fleshed out and brought to life than to have additional 'item' skill lines.
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. I play pet sorc and would personally love more pets or greater damage that scales off magicka pool/spell damage. The purple pets look *** although I've somewhat grown attached to them over time....so many things they can make a decent pet....all that lore.

I'm playing my main as dark as I can go and would love some sort of necromancy line/skills.

(my favourite pet class ever was age of conan demonologist)
    Edited by greylox on May 2, 2016 12:37AM
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• Caeric
    Caeric
    ✭✭✭
    In addition to adding GUI elements and correcting some current issues, my hope is to allow a sorcerer the choice to be as 'dark' or a 'light' as they want, while still providing for essentially the same skills. This method provides for a great deal of personalization and flavor, while at the same time requiring no additional effort (or very little) on the part of ZOS as far as balancing goes.

It would be a much more interesting game experience to see sorcerers (and maybe eventually other pet classes) running around with all sorts of things - much how I would expect the actual world to be.