The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Bound Armor Texture - Get Rid of It Completely

FilteredRiddle
FilteredRiddle
✭✭✭✭
Currently the Sorcerer skill "Bound Armor" and its morphs casts an entire suit of heavy Daedric (or Xivkyn, for the Stamina morph) armor over the user. In a game which seems to value character individualism, this one skill makes all sorcerers who use it look like the exact same vanilla character. I think @Gyudan said it best, "I hate that the most effective way to play a sorcerer is to hide the armor selection I spent a long time designing and to put on this monstrosity instead." Frankly, it's stupid.

For reference, regardless of what your character looks like or is wearing, when you use the skill, you look like this:
2nasgi0.jpg
*The body gender and shape, is dependent upon your character. Props to @Ladiev for the image.

I'd like to see the armor removed entirely, and instead see something akin to every other skill ever. Even if you had the glowing Daedric face on your chest, or a bubble, or your outfit had sheen, or whatever else that isn't replacing your entire outfit, it would be better.
Xbox One NA
The Sentinels of Padomay
Obsidian Guard (Social with PvX Events)

Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now. Gamers don't sit around.
- Jane McGonigal
  • Paulington
    Paulington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree but nowadays I don't care since there are so many tools to hide it as long as you don't mind your face showing. It still makes the reasoning ZOS gave of "We want people to see you are using it to formulate strategies against you in PvP" (paraphrased) meaningless twaddle since you can so easily hide it anyway.

As cool a skill as it is, I wish they'd let us hide it or just replace the skill altogether.
  • Kammakazi
    Kammakazi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AGREE!!111!!!

I didn't spend days and coins trying to get that super sick motif for my new VR 16 Legendary set just so I could hide it with Bound Aegis or a costume.

• CaptainBeerDude
    CaptainBeerDude
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind it. If it was changed at all I would like to see mirror your equipped armour weight, but in the Daedric or Xivkyn style and bound colouring.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only way to get rid of it is with the Orsinium mask or cadwell's stupid pot. Put it on then hide helmet.

Not ideal, but it's a workaround of sorts.
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been using a costume to hide that abomination, as do a lot of people I know so thankfully I rarely see those visuals. It's a shame we have to do that though, and I don't understand why it needs to be seen anyway. I don't think I've ever seen anyone use it in pvp.
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mind-shriven skin hides it and still lets you see all of your actual gear...

I'd still like the option to simply turn the visual off, but in the meantime you at least hide it that way.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought it should be like tech armor from mass effect, adding glowing translucent armor plates over what you are wearing.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    I always thought it should be like tech armor from mass effect, adding glowing translucent armor plates over what you are wearing.
    That would be freaking sweet. And that's how I expected it to work too, until I finally leveled a Sorc high enough to get the skill... Don't get me wrong, I like the Daedric look of it, but I'd like it a lot better if it was a transulcent Daedric look over top of my actual gear.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Caeric
    Caeric
    ✭✭✭
    While I really like the idea of adding a glow or sheen to existing armor, the recent change to inner light makes me think that this is unlikely.

It would be nice to be able to choose from multiple looks and set that one look as our default, to include one choice in which it simply does not show.

At the very least, I would at least like the option to turn it off.
  • FilteredRiddle
    FilteredRiddle
    ✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    The mind-shriven skin hides it and still lets you see all of your actual gear...

I'd still like the option to simply turn the visual off, but in the meantime you at least hide it that way.
    As if I needed more excuses to farm Molag Bal haha.
    This is what I was expecting as well. Talk about disappointment.
    Xbox One NA
    The Sentinels of Padomay

Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now. Gamers don't sit around.
    - Jane McGonigal
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind if the effect were changed to a transparent blue or purple armor that hangs over your equipped armor, similar to the way ghosts appear in this game. You could still see your regular armor then you see a faded, transparent bound armor on top of it, maybe make it fade in and out giving it an ethereal look.
  • CaptainBeerDude
    CaptainBeerDude
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be amazing, I left it off my wish list because I thought it may increase server loads and lag. Would be super awesome though.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could've just had an aura of magicka surround the player, similar to Hardened Ward just different in look and color.

@phaneub17_ESO <-- Like what he said.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • KhajiitiLizard
    KhajiitiLizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's called bound armor not bound aura...
  • FilteredRiddle
    FilteredRiddle
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's called bound armor not bound aura...

Perhaps, but there are any number of ways they could have implemented 'armor' without entirely obscuring the personalization and character uniqueness that is ones armor set-up.

Rare colors? Too bad.
    Rare styles? Too bad.
    Monster set? Too bad.
    Unique combination of the above? Too bad.

An opaque overlay, a character sheen, an aura or bubble... all of these could avoid the issue.

Xbox One NA
    The Sentinels of Padomay

- Jane McGonigal
  • Oh_Skrivva
    Oh_Skrivva
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason after I initiate a fight. Half way through my costume goes away and bound armor is revealed again. When I check my costume in collections it says it's still equipped. Have to Un equip and equip costume to make it hide again but it's pointless now since it's gonna disappear again anyway if I engage in combat. Thought it was maybe a bug with certain costumes. Bought and tried over 9 types and nothing seems to stay. I've talked to my friends who have sorcs if it happens to them too. But no one I asked had this happen. Has anyone else encountered this as well? I don't know why ZOS is so adamant on not allowing us to hide it like mage light was. If they want to keep it like it is than a costume shouldn't be able to conceal it either.
    Costco member

Message brought to you by Cat Queefs Emporium
  • bloodenragedb14_ESO
    bloodenragedb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what it needs to be is some kinda ghostly outline of armor over your current armor, i think that would class it up a bit
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh_Skrivva wrote: »
    For some reason after I initiate a fight. Half way through my costume goes away and bound armor is revealed again. When I check my costume in collections it says it's still equipped. Have to Un equip and equip costume to make it hide again but it's pointless now since it's gonna disappear again anyway if I engage in combat. Thought it was maybe a bug with certain costumes. Bought and tried over 9 types and nothing seems to stay. I've talked to my friends who have sorcs if it happens to them too. But no one I asked had this happen. Has anyone else encountered this as well? I don't know why ZOS is so adamant on not allowing us to hide it like mage light was. If they want to keep it like it is than a costume shouldn't be able to conceal it either.

Don't give them any ideas! Costume concealment is the only thing that makes the skill bearable, all sorcerers shouldn't have to wear the same outfit when fighting. But I haven't had this issue with any costume I've worn, that's really strange.
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • Oh_Skrivva
    Oh_Skrivva
    ✭✭✭
    @ListerJMC yeah I shouldn't give them ideas. Maybe I'm just bitter and jelly that I can't conceal bound armor like the rest of yall :/
    Costco member

• ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ListerJMC yeah I shouldn't give them ideas. Maybe I'm just bitter and jelly that I can't conceal bound armor like the rest of yall :/

Yeah I'd be upset if that was me, I wish I had some advice but I've never come across that issue before. Maybe it's something weird to do with a certain armor style or race conflicting?
  • Oh_Skrivva
    Oh_Skrivva
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so, a friend who I ask has the same race I do and has the same style of gear I have armor wise except for the styles of our weapons. What's worst is the amount of crowns I spent to find any costume to hide this hideous bound armor.
    Costco member

• ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think so, a friend who I ask has the same race I do and has the same style of gear I have armor wise except for the styles of our weapons. What's worst is the amount of crowns I spent to find any costume to hide this hideous bound armor.

That's really sad, I have no idea what could possibly be causing that :/. Hopefully they'll just get rid of the visuals entirely so this won't be a problem.
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is from a Skyrim mod called "True Bound Armor", but unfortunately the file is now hidden on Nexus:

maxresdefault.jpg

Were you imagining something like this? I think it looks sweet and I would love to have our bound armor changed for something like that, if it is even possible.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Oh_Skrivva
    Oh_Skrivva
    ✭✭✭
    I would much prefer that version of bound armor ^. Actually makes you seem more like a mage. Having a cool mystical aura surrounding yourself.
    Costco member

• Reaper_5334
    Yea that skyrim mod look would be perfect.
  • Gonza
    Gonza
    ✭✭✭
    You can't fight against the lore traditions. Bound armor is obtained by summoning daedrics armor, so since when their armor is invisible?

Probably you have to wait another 1000-2000 years where in Skyrim the can make a new spell that doesnt summon an armor but not from daedras.
    Play for fun!
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I felt the same but switched to costumes as a work around, only annoying thing is if you accidently switch it off or don't turn it on after a zone change there is no tell! I heard Cadwells pot (helmet) is a workaround, put that on, then hide helmet to see your armour.

Incidentally I'm a magika user and love the stamina armour, shame you cant choose!! The Aegis helmet and shoulders look batty.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • FilteredRiddle
    FilteredRiddle
    ✭✭✭✭
    Abeille wrote: »
    This is from a Skyrim mod called "True Bound Armor", but unfortunately the file is now hidden on Nexus:

maxresdefault.jpg

Were you imagining something like this? I think it looks sweet and I would love to have our bound armor changed for something like that, if it is even possible.
    This would be perfect!

Xbox One NA
    The Sentinels of Padomay

- Jane McGonigal
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aaaah, getting tagged for no reason. Let me sleep.
    whatyearisit.jpg

*hides back in cave*
    Wololo.