Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Woodworking Inspiration Gain - Weapons better than Shields

Aelthwyn
Aelthwyn
✭✭✭✭
This evening while leveling up my Woodworking skill I noticed that the inspiration bar jumped Much more when deconstructing weapons as opposed to shields of the same level. Can others confirm this is normal? It looked like the shields were giving me about a third of the points that weapons were, which strikes me as rather odd.
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crafted or Loot?

There is no difference in IP return between any crafted items of wood of any material for the base item (White, no other upgrades). But Shields take a few more mats to craft so the best return for IP per mat is Bows or Staffs.

If looted items, unless they were all exactly the same color and value they could return different IP.
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    These were white intricate items - bows, staves, and shields, veteran 15 ruby ash, bought from a guild store. I also got a few veteran 14 nightwood staves and they also gave me more xp than the ruby ash shields. Or at least the inspiration bar moved significantly more, I was not stopping to check the actual numbers each time, I was just watching the bar increase, but it was definitely a notable difference in progression. The bar was definitely not moving consistently, so if the points were indeed the same then there is some kind of display bug going on it would seem. I should note I was not doing this overly fast, so I don’t think it could have been a matter of the bar trying to catch up.
    Edited by Aelthwyn on April 17, 2016 10:10PM
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the visual display of the bar is whatever it is, but if you use any addon that gives the exact numbers or actually subtract using the skill tab, you'll find the results I noted.

I have never run actual numbers against Intricate trait to see what they return. And we can't craft intricate so there's no way of knowing what values ZOS actually applies to any one item when they make it Intricate.

If you are on PC at least it would be worth getting and addon that shows exact numbers and then you can confirm what items to only buy to get the max return.
    Edited by SpAEkus on April 17, 2016 11:43PM