The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Altmer melee class? Is it possible?

CopyNinjaLu
I know it sounds like I'm not playing my strengths but I'm hoping there's an at least DECENT build. I've tried it once and it didn't really work too well. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried making a melee build with an Altmer (high elf) and succeeded. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
  • ClockworkArc
    ClockworkArc
    ✭✭✭
    Dragonknight!
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dragonknight!

On a Dk you would loose a lot of DPS compared to Dunmer, best class for an altmer-meelee build would be templar imo.
    I play my breton-templar as a meelee-build, altmer would give me even more DPS (~1...2% more).
    Noobplar
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magicka nb would be another good choice. Sure, if you only attack from stealth Bosmer might be better, but with the recent changes to magelight and other stealth detection Altmer also works well. (Talking purely about pvp, for pve you don't want to go melee on a nb)
  • thomas1970b16_ESO
    thomas1970b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Stamina based melee would not be optimal of course on an altmer. However a magicka based melee class for altmer is very good.
  • CopyNinjaLu
    Makes sense, @thomas1970b16_ESO how would I go about doing that? Any pointers like what class would work well with it? (Nightblade, DK, Templar or Sorc)
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer is the best race for a magicka templar in PvE. Templars are inherently melee, so this should be the number 1 choice for you.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Altmer is the best race for a magicka templar in PvE. Templars are inherently melee, so this should be the number 1 choice for you.

Overall or dps-wise? i was under the impression, dunmer-templars would do the highest dps, but have less sustain than altmer/breton.
    Noobplar
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destruent wrote: »

Overall or dps-wise? i was under the impression, dunmer-templars would do the highest dps, but have less sustain than altmer/breton.

Currently Dunmer is the highest damage race for Templar due to the fact that their only elemental damage is fire damage. I personally wouldn't do dunmer over Altmer because that would 10% regen goes a long way. DPS wise Dunmer is around 2.6% more damage than Altmer. Also I have a feeling that they will give Bretonsome magic damage bonus when they allow us to race change. I think that would eventually be the #1 templar class.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Currently Dunmer is the highest damage race for Templar due to the fact that their only elemental damage is fire damage. I personally wouldn't do dunmer over Altmer because that would 10% regen goes a long way. DPS wise Dunmer is around 2.6% more damage than Altmer. Also I have a feeling that they will give Bretonsome magic damage bonus when they allow us to race change. I think that would eventually be the #1 templar class.

Ah, ok...thx for clarification. I rly was in doubt about my own calculations :)
    This magic-dmg-bonus to bretons would be sooo nice, i don't rly want to change my race for min/maxing :(
    The bonus should be at ~5%+ to make it worth over altmer/dunmer imo. They can take away my extra-spellresist...i don't need it anyways ^^
    Noobplar
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This magic-dmg-bonus to bretons would be sooo nice, i don't rly want to change my race for min/maxing :(
    The bonus should be at ~5%+ to make it worth over altmer/dunmer imo. They can take away my extra-spellresist...i don't need it anyways ^^

Hehe true that, but TBH even if the bonus is 4% it would be worth it since your slinky fire damage comes from vamp bane/reflective lyrics light, WoE and staff damage. Combined these always deal under 30% of your damage, so 4% would be better than both dunmer and altmer.
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on what your definition of succeeded is.

Do you want to be on leaderboards or clear trials with a stong guild = probably not ideal

PVP = optimal builds don' t win every fight, there is quite a human element here, don't see why you couldn't

Regular PVE? You can clear the regular game content with any race/class/combo.
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    emily3989 wrote: »
    Depends on what your definition of succeeded is.

Do you want to be on leaderboards or clear trials with a stong guild = probably not ideal

PVP = optimal builds don' t win every fight, there is quite a human element here, don't see why you couldn't

Regular PVE? You can clear the regular game content with any race/class/combo.

If he is a templar he should have no issues getting leaderboards times as an altmer.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Hehe true that, but TBH even if the bonus is 4% it would be worth it since your slinky fire damage comes from vamp bane/reflective lyrics light, WoE and staff damage. Combined these always deal under 30% of your damage, so 4% would be better than both dunmer and altmer.

It's usually 40...45%(shooting star, woe, medium attacks, skoria, vamps bane) in ST-fights for my build. Whereas ~7% (purifying light) aren't affected by anything, but maybe they'll change it in a future patch. So it's rly close for me.
    Noobplar
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's usually 40...45%(shooting star, woe, medium attacks, skoria, vamps bane) in ST-fights for my build. Whereas ~7% (purifying light) aren't affected by anything, but maybe they'll change it in a future patch. So it's rly close for me.

Good point, I forgot shooting star, but 40%? That's crazy high, I guess it depends on build:)
    Edited by hedna123b14_ESO on April 14, 2016 12:52PM
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Good point, I forgot shooting star, but 40%? That's crazy high, I guess it depends on build:)

Just look at the DPS-screens in my templar build (see my signature). had to look at it myself...i didn't think its that high, too :D
    Noobplar
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just look at the DPS-screens in my templar build (see my signature). had to look at it myself...i didn't think its that high, too :D

Yeah for your build dunmer is sick! Hehe