Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Random Group Scaling

Chanman23
Chanman23
So, just came back to eso after 6 months, so the grouping tool is new. I did a dungeon yesterday with 2 guildies who were vr2 and i was lvl 11, and then we que up in random to get a 4th toon, who is vr4. I felt like i didnt contribute much to the group dps wise, and the dungeon took forever because of our low dps, but we eventually made it through. So my question is, if you do a random dungeon que as a lowbie toon, will it always be harder to finish? I was looking forward to the whole scaling thing to make the grouping tool more useful and to not have to spam zone chat for lfg, but if a lvl 11 scaled to vr16 just isnt very good, then it seems to be useless. Would it make a difference if there were 4 level ~15 toons and it scaled? Or would that just make the dungeon impossible to finish? Maybe i just understand the concept wring, idk. Any help or clarification on how the grouping tool works would be nice.

Best Answers

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scaling works best if you have decent gear, as that scales too. At L11, your not going to have decent gear. If it works like battle leveling, then you even want the gear to be Blue or Purple for best bang. Although, Blue and Purple at L11 is kind of a waste of tempers (as you out level it so quickly)

As for being Lvl11, the other issue is, you don't have any of the good skills unlocked yet, and that is why your DPS is low. Take solace in the fact that you made it through the dungeon. Considering how things were stacked against you, you did pretty good.

I would try to find some old school groups and do the dungeons, maybe from your guild. Run them at normal scale (which is to the group leader, set that before any of you go into the dungeon). Then do the scaled dungeons when you are in the 20's or 30's as you will have a good skill selection, and probably some good gear.

Edited by Nestor on April 13, 2016 10:45PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Answer ✓
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much this ^

The one thing I would add is that I've always kind of felt that below level 15 you really don't have the capability to be very effective in a group dungeon anyway. I'd argue that on top of a general lack of skill points and passives, the lack of being able to weapon swap significantly impacts your versatility.

Having said that, don't get discouraged from doing dungeons. Just be aware that until you get to higher levels it's going to be difficult. If possible, do what @Nestor suggests and get a group of folks together who are similar levels to you, and do the dungeon the old-fashioned way scaled to the group leader. This will definitely make it easier for you, and you'll have an easier time learning the ins-and-outs of dungeons.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)