The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How Important Are Addons?

Starkman
Starkman
Hey all,

Say, I'm wondering if the game can be played and enjoyed fully without addons, at least not a whole slew of them?
I'm trying to keep the load on my CPU / GPU down, so I'm just wondering what the play is like without any addons at all (as well as with just a few).

Thanks very much,

Starkman
Starkman
My PC? You mean, this thing, what's quickly becoming a low-end system!
  • Elsir
    Elsir
    ✭✭✭✭
    While I use addons, myself, I am absolutely certain that they aren't "important". That said, I believe ZOS deliberately left a few things to the imagination in regards to the user interface specifically for the purpose of allowing addons to expand on the existing features. Do you NEED these extra things though? No. But as far as "Information" addons go, compared to those who use them, yes you may be at a disadvantage. EG: An addon that shows on screen when a Cyrodiil keep is under attack without the need to open your map and look around for yourself wondering "Hmm, I wonder if something's being attacked right now".
    Anna (AKA: Elsir)
    Templar
  • Starkman
    Starkman
    Elsir,

Thanks for the input. I don't plan to do PvP at all, if I can help it -- save for maybe the purpose of acquiring something I need and can't get any other way (does that even exist in this game?). Otherwise, I will run a few addons that are truly valuable for bettering the overall experience of the game, but I'm just trying to keep it to a minimum.

Thanks again,

Starkman
    Starkman
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you can definitely play without any addons at all (as several people do, including everyone on consoles), but they do make things easier. Which ones you have is really up to you, if you're looking to keep it minimal I would definitely recommend considering what features you can't do without and then looking for addons that do that.

For me the absolute top of the list is a mini map. I have a horrible sense of direction and it's even worse in games, so if I didn't have a mini map I'd be stopping every minute or so to check the map. That's probably the most demanding one I have but I wouldn't be without it.

A lot of my others are very lightweight, 'invisible' things like Advanced Filters (which adds sub categories to your inventory, bank etc. to make it easier to find specific items), Azurah which lets you move the UI around and adds a few details, and Banker Shutup which does exactly what it says.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Starkman
    Starkman
    Danikat wrote: »
    For me the absolute top of the list is a mini map. I have a horrible sense of direction and it's even worse in games, so if I didn't have a mini map I'd be stopping every minute or so to check the map. That's probably the most demanding one I have but I wouldn't be without it.

Danikat, your mother and mine must be related generations back or something. I can soooo relate to a bad sense of direction. (I thought, though, that the game came with a mini map...hmm. Regardless...)

Well, I'll be playing a full healer, so anything that will help that out will be a priority...AFTER the minimap!

Thanks!
    Starkman
  • dpencil
    dpencil
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I enjoy the game much more with addons than I would otherwise. It's like a whole other part of the game to fiddle with customization. I use FTC, S'rendarr, Minimap, Skyshards, Lorebooks, Craftstore, Itemsaver, Awesome Guild Store, Master Merchant (probably the heaviest one of the bunch, loadwise), just to name a few of the most important ones. Harven's Harvest map is also another good one that can be a bit heavy, but very useful. I really only use it for chests/troves/lockboxes.

My advise would be to get Minion and try out a few addons and see how your PC responds. It may be able to handle them better than you fear. I run a bunch of addons and don't suffer any ill effects, and my rig is several years old and was not best in class when I built it either.
  • Starkman
    Starkman
    Well, thanks, dpencil. I'll give some a try.

Thanks,

Starkman
    Starkman
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Starkman

If you are planning on doing any armor or weapon crafting and researching the traits, I would highly recommend an addon like Research Assistant as it will let you know if you need that piece of gear, if you already have an equivalent piece, and it will even cross check with what you have in the bank.

It's either that or pen and paper excel chart (which is what I used fore the first few months) :(
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starkman wrote: »
    Hey all,

Say, I'm wondering if the game can be played and enjoyed fully without addons, at least not a whole slew of them?
    I'm trying to keep the load on my CPU / GPU down, so I'm just wondering what the play is like without any addons at all (as well as with just a few).

Thanks very much,

Starkman

I played this game all through Beta and for the first 5 or 6 months with no addons at all. Over time I have put some on the game, more for quality of life than anything else. I don't think the game needs any addons, but some are so useful that the game is better with them. Craft Store, Awesome Guild Store, Luminary Transporter, Slightly Improved Experience Bar and Advanced UI (with most features turned off) are 5 that come to mind. Master Merchant is a good mod too, but that can hit your system performance hard during log in, but after that, it's pretty unobtrusive.

Destinations, Lorebooks, Skyshards and Lost Treasure are all useful mods, but can and probably should be turned off most of the time until you want to make sure you have cleared a zone.
    Edited by Nestor on April 12, 2016 6:52PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add-ons are really, really important. I run about 15. Let me make a few suggestions to get you started. These are listed in the order that I value them:

Skyshards
    Advanced Filters
    Destinations
    Lorebooks

The add-ons I've listed would be of benefit to almost any player regardless of their play style and preferences. You should seriously consider them.

Edited by Giraffon on April 12, 2016 6:59PM
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • Starkman
    Starkman
    Great! Thanks so much for the input.
    Starkman
  • Mcwoods55
    Mcwoods55
    ✭✭✭
    Starkman wrote: »
    Hey all,

Thanks very much,

Starkman

well seeing how us on consoles don't get them and we still enjoy the game I'd say they are not a necessity... Some of them I wish we did have!
  • Starkman
    Starkman
    Mcwoods55 wrote: »
    well seeing how us on consoles don't get them and we still enjoy the game I'd say they are not a necessity... Some of them I wish we did have!

Yeah, I was just talking to a friend of mine who does everything on his PS4; how it is that addons haven't been integrated into the games; probably opens up the system, which Sony doesn't want to do, and the addons would probably have to be part of the initial developing. Who knows.

But yeah, console players just move long like it's all good. They ALL, however, work on the same playing field, and often times levels the playing field across the board.
    Starkman
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a lot of addons. Probably 30 or more. Most of them I could live without if I lost them all tomorrow. There are a few I'd lose that would actually make the game more stressful to play due to my playstyle. I NEED a minimap. I personally can't function without it. I'd be opening my map every 3 seconds. Mailr and Master Merchant both provide what I consider basic core game functions that really should be in the base game already. Losing them would cause me to waste a lot of time on basic functionality. I also consider some sort of dps tracker a must have.
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Important enough for me to have not done the PC transfer to console. I try and think about running the game with no addons...and I just get lost.

I guess a big reason they're so important to me is because I believe a lot of add-ons should have been in the base UI from the beginning.

676 CP
    Zyle - LVL50 Stamina Nightblade - Former Emp AS - VMA Clear (Flawless)
    Joven - LVL50 Hybrid Templar
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
    Radac - LVL50 Magicka Sorcerer
    Vanikath - LVL50 Magicka DK
  • MishMash
    MishMash
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only add on that "I" must use is the Greyminds Quick slot Bar. I had trouble accessing my quick slots while in battle and this add on truly helped!
    PC NA DC 4eva! I try my very best. If it is not good enough for you too bad! Playing off and on since April 2014 CP2009.
  • Starkman
    Starkman
    I NEED a minimap. I personally can't function without it. I'd be opening my map every 3 seconds.

Ha! You can't even imagine how much I agree with you. I mean, I REEEEALLY feel your pain!
    Starkman
  • Starkman
    Starkman
    MishMash wrote: »
    The only add on that "I" must use is the Greyminds Quick slot Bar. I had trouble accessing my quick slots while in battle and this add on truly helped!

Yeah, for 100% sure on that! The Quick Bar in ESO is an utter nightmare. Some developer should have been shot, fired and buried in space for that one!
    Starkman