Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Shalidor and His Death

Totalitarian
Totalitarian
✭✭✭✭✭
When doing the Mages Guild questline, I noticed that Shalidor said that whenever Tamriel faces threats that have a possibility to destroy Nirn, Shalidor, due to powerful spells placed on his place of death, comes back from Aetherius.

Does this mean that during future Elder Scrolls games, such as Oblivion or Skyrim, where life on Nirn is threatened, that Shalidor comes back from Aetherius?
PC NA CP 531+
Aedric Fury Sits Around Doing Nothing
Sola Auroron Magicka Templar
Lunaria Chimeri Magicka Dragonknight
The Chosen of the Storm Stamina Sorcerer
Ward-Scales Magicka Nightblade
Sanctius Luxen Stamina Templar
Nerwaye Auroron Magicka Sorcerer
Warden Vyrkyl Stamina Dragonknight
The Ninth Adventurer Stamina Nightblade
Magna-Sola Magicka Templar
The Celestial Lady Magicka Templar
Read their adventures!
The Celestial Lady
  • namelessperson
    The funny thing is, I don't remember Shalidor ever even being mentioned in Oblivion, so, no answer there. But, when doing the College of Winterhold quests in Skyrim, the Staff of Magnus was housed in Shalidor's tomb, Labyrinthian, so, there may be a grain of truth there. As if Shalidor had set up the Staff to help the worthy in a future time of need.
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When doing the Mages Guild questline, I noticed that Shalidor said that whenever Tamriel faces threats that have a possibility to destroy Nirn, Shalidor, due to powerful spells placed on his place of death, comes back from Aetherius.

Does this mean that during future Elder Scrolls games, such as Oblivion or Skyrim, where life on Nirn is threatened, that Shalidor comes back from Aetherius?

I just ran through the first quest in the mages guild last night on an alt, and I could have sworn that he cast the spells on his resting place to trigger whenever his legacy is threatened, not all of Nirn (although threats against Nirn as a whole would obviously threaten his legacy as well). That's why he wants to retake Eyevea (to protect mages / magic) as opposed to fight Molag Bal directly.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • catalyst10e
    catalyst10e
    ✭✭✭✭
    The funny thing is, I don't remember Shalidor ever even being mentioned in Oblivion, so, no answer there. But, when doing the College of Winterhold quests in Skyrim, the Staff of Magnus was housed in Shalidor's tomb, Labyrinthian, so, there may be a grain of truth there. As if Shalidor had set up the Staff to help the worthy in a future time of need.

He was technically mentioned in Arena, Daggerfall, and Morrowind with a Spell being named "Shalidor's Mirror" that cast reflect. I wanna say it was in morrowind he was also first mentioned being the "first" arch mage but my memory is fuzzy on those details.
    "Why settle for just stabbing your foes when you can roast them alive in a gout of arcane fire?"
    [| DC Breton Sorcerer || NA PS4 || PSN: Catalyst10e |]
    [| DC Dunmer Dragon Knight |]
  • namelessperson
    @catalyst10e Ah ok. I didn't play any of the games before Oblivion, so I was hoping someone like you who had might come along, haha. But were there any quests in those games that specifically had to do with him and his legacy? Or just little snippet references like you said??
  • catalyst10e
    catalyst10e
    ✭✭✭✭
    @catalyst10e Ah ok. I didn't play any of the games before Oblivion, so I was hoping someone like you who had might come along, haha. But were there any quests in those games that specifically had to do with him and his legacy? Or just little snippet references like you said??

No quests specifically ( or none come to mind) mostly snippets of information about him in various lore books like "Tamrielic Lore" which mentions his battle with the Dwemer (and their use of Spellbreaker) His character was largely just "a powerful mage" till TES V Skyrim where they seemed to really flush out his character.
    Edited by catalyst10e on April 8, 2016 7:20PM
    "Why settle for just stabbing your foes when you can roast them alive in a gout of arcane fire?"
    [| DC Breton Sorcerer || NA PS4 || PSN: Catalyst10e |]
    [| DC Dunmer Dragon Knight |]