Imperial Cyrod Questions

BlackWormDisciple
Hey again guys. Hopefully you're all doing well this evening.

So, I figured I would ask a few questions regarding the Imperials here - and if anyone who happens to roleplay a Colovian or Nibenese Imperial could chime in and offer their advice and answers, I'd appreciate the input and look forward to reading your answers.

First question I have to ask is more about the aesthetic of Imperials in ESO. How light can an Imperial character look in-game? Would the top left ( postimg.org/image/vkavyoz9r/ ) or bottom left ( postimg.org/image/66nzvtfab/ ) skin tone be the best option to have a fair-looking Imperial character (not sure if using the best gamma level, but it's slightly right of the center)? I know typically they're seen with tan or olive-skin, but lore-wise the Imperial people are the most diverse of all the races of Man both culturally and physically, ranging from light to dark skin, a variety of hair and eye colors, etc. Oblivion and Skyrim both have had plenty of fairer skinned Imperials as well as the olive and tan Cyrods. And, odd as this will sound, I like the look of paler characters if they're mages or sorcerers - afterall, you don't see a lot of sunlight if you're experimenting, studying, or doing research in all arcane matters - plus, Abnur Tharn is sort of an inspiration to go with an Imperial Sorcerer, yet he (and Clivia Tharn) look quite fairer than other members of the Nibenese Tharn family. Can someone tell me how fair an Imperial looks in-game? It's hard to go by the character creation menu honestly - even if you find just the right gamma level setting-wise.

Question two focuses more on how to properly roleplay an Imperial character's cultural identity - Nibenese or Colovian. I know the Nibenese are the mercantile, magocratic heart of the Imperial Cyrod people - taking on Elven and a bit of Akaviri influence while the Colovians are the sons and daughters of the Legion who take pride in seafaring and martial ability - embracing the more Nordic culture and philosophy, but how should one go about roleplaying if they are Nibenese or Colovian, if it all? I'm well aware that individual personality is always the top priority, but the Imperial people are a collection of two main groups that, if I remember correctly, are prideful about which one they happen to be a part of (again, think Abnur Tharn for an example).

Third question I have is more about what side you all view is the most 'appropriate' of the three factions an Imperial would likely side with. Among the three warring factions - the Covenant, Pact, and Dominion, which would seem the most likely an Imperial - regardless of their cultural identity - would join? What if it was a Nibenese Cyrod? Or a Colovian? In all honesty, the Dominion seems like the least likely choice considering Ayrenn's stance on having the races of men on the Ruby Throne - while the Pact and Covenant both seem equally reasonable. Does anyone with a Cyrod in the Dominion have an example of how to justify them being among the Altmer, Bosmer, and Khajiit?

Fourth Question - how would other Colovians view a Colovian Cyrod Mage, and how would Nibenese Cyrods view a Nibenese Warrior or Legionnaire? Would they react a bit negatively, would they have differing reactions from a typical Colovian/Nibenese point of view, etc?

And finally, I know that Imperials who align themselves with any of the three factions are fleeing their native province because of the Daedra, necromancy, and the Planemeld, but how would Imperials feel towards the summoning and use of Daedra either by their allies or a fellow Imperial of the faction they've joined? I ask this because the Imperials as a whole have their religion focus on the Eight Divines - although the Nibenese have differing religious views compared to their Colovian cousins and the Imperial City is called the 'city of a thousand cults', but how would a typical Imperial feel about the idea of having Daedric beings summoned nearby - even if they're providing assistance in battle?
Edited by BlackWormDisciple on April 4, 2016 9:40PM
  • BlackWormDisciple
    I decided there was another question I felt was worth asking here, so I made an edit to the original post and added it before the final question.

Anyone?
  • BlackWormDisciple
    Anyone at all?
  • Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe the Panama Papers is a really cool movie
  • Zoikos
    Zoikos
    ✭✭
    The skin color of your character is solely based on your opinion and what you feel best suits you. Like you said the Imperial vary greatly in skin tone from a light skin to dark olive or even like they have some redguard. So like I said, your choice and I am not entirely sure if lorebooks explain the color of either one. Though I could be a start to help you a bit more.

Your second question has the same answer as the first. Which one interests you more and suits you more. I do apologize if my answers are not the most helpful. Role-playing is about being you and or your character and the creativity. Just make sure you do not do anything that is lore breaking.

To be honest for your third question, I think Daggerfall Covenant. If you read their background story of how they formed and their plans. Sounds very similar to how the imperials ran the empire.

You could check lore for the fourth question, but it could be like any race. They don't like those that break from tradition. Then again, Imperials are a more race friendly then the others. They try to have "equality" for the other races of tamerial.

Fifth question is a bit indifferent and I can not answer exactly, but I will explain my views. Deadra are not really accepted by the other races except Orcs who worship malacath, but are against summoning Deadra I think. Then there are Dark Elves who worship a few Deadra and have at times summoned lesser ones and atronachs. Though with the war that is happening, the alliance's seem to not care as long as it is for their victory and not used against them. If you notice, they would seem to do anything for control of the ruby throne. Even if it is against their beliefs or faiths.

Hoped this helped.
    Edited by Zoikos on April 6, 2016 11:34PM
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as which side an imperial would choose, DC is the best option. Dominon looks down upon men, pact has the least ca re for the empire. DC isn't much better than the pact, but hold imperial values the most of any faction. However, all 3 can be justified depending on the character. I could expand while at my actual pc.

Niben vs Colovian is less distinct that it seems. both value evwrything that the other does, the difference is simply scale. They are highly mixed cultures.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And on the daedra queation, lesser daedric servanta of a mage are almost always seen differently. Most don't have issues with it, especially mages.
  • BlackWormDisciple
    As far as which side an imperial would choose, DC is the best option. Dominon looks down upon men, pact has the least ca re for the empire. DC isn't much better than the pact, but hold imperial values the most of any faction. However, all 3 can be justified depending on the character. I could expand while at my actual pc.

Niben vs Colovian is less distinct that it seems. both value evwrything that the other does, the difference is simply scale. They are highly mixed cultures.
    And on the daedra queation, lesser daedric servanta of a mage are almost always seen differently. Most don't have issues with it, especially mages.

Thank you for the response, notime. I figured DC would be the most appropriate choice of faction for Imperials fleeing from Cyrodiil - unless they're the sort who just want to stop the Planemeld only, then go back to Cyrodiil to try and deal with things there in their own province.

Also, are you certain about there being less of a difference between Nibenese and Colovians in this case? I know Oblivion didn't do the best job at showing a difference between the two, but as I said in the original post, the Nibenese seem like the sort who would respect trade, diplomacy, and magic more than physical force, prowess, sailing, or military power, and vice versa for the Colovians. I mean, sure, there are exceptions, but even then I'd imagine their cultures would ingrain some sort of respect for what they, as a whole, seem to take pride in and value.
  • BlackWormDisciple
    Anyone else care to chime in, give their opinion?

Maybe on having a fair looking Imperial too? ;P I know, it's a weird question, but I've seen some people posting screenshots of Imperials that look light. Not sure if they were edited, or there's something I'm missing, but it never hurts to check.
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DC is definitely the alliance to go for, IMO, assuming your character has a free choice. I have an Imperial in the Covenant and it just feels "right" for him in terms of fighting to rebuild the Empire of men. That said I also have one in EP, who ended up there not of her own choosing but because she was sold as a slave by the Dunmer. So you can make anything work with creative enough backstory.

I think you're pretty spot on with the Nibenese / Colovian thing. When I think Nibenese I think Abnur Tharn and when I think Colovian I picture military types like General Lavinia.

• Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will also add that just because a group is known for certain traits doesn't mean everybody embodies them, as such I am sure there are crafty politicians among the Colovians and dedicated warriors among the Nibenese and everything in between. People are individuals, after all. Sure you could embrace the stereotype but you don't have to.

As for pale Imperials, I have one. :) She is actually of Colovian descent although she is a scholarly mage type (with maybe a bit of that belligerent Colovian attitude when angered :tongue: ) They are a diverse bunch as you pointed out, even though many of them are darker skinned, not all are. (Likewise not all Italian/Latin people that Imperials are inspired by are dark skinned either. ;) )

Untitled-2.jpg
    Edited by Ghanima_Atreides on April 8, 2016 9:19AM
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • Zoikos
    Zoikos
    ✭✭
    tamrielvault.com/group/lore/forum/topics/the-imperial-divide-colovian-and-nibenese

Found this interesting and helpful on the differences between the two.
  • BlackWormDisciple
    I will also add that just because a group is known for certain traits doesn't mean everybody embodies them, as such I am sure there are crafty politicians among the Colovians and dedicated warriors among the Nibenese and everything in between. People are individuals, after all. Sure you could embrace the stereotype but you don't have to.

As for pale Imperials, I have one. :) She is actually of Colovian descent although she is a scholarly mage type (with maybe a bit of that belligerent Colovian attitude when angered :tongue: ) They are a diverse bunch as you pointed out, even though many of them are darker skinned, not all are. (Likewise not all Italian/Latin people that Imperials are inspired by are dark skinned either. ;) )

Untitled-2.jpg

Not bad! Also, is that the top or bottom left skin tone? I'm still not sure which would make a lighter/paler looking Imperial - although they still don't seem to be the same level of paleness as Abnur Tharn, that magnificent, sarcastic Nibenese Battlemage...
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I...couldn't tell you precisely which skin tone it is, since I made her back when the game first launched. :tongue: But it's one of those. And NPCs have access to things players don't, unfortunately (see also: black Altmer hair and red mohawks for Khajiit).

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • BlackWormDisciple
    I...couldn't tell you precisely which skin tone it is, since I made her back when the game first launched. :tongue: But it's one of those. And NPCs have access to things players don't, unfortunately (see also: black Altmer hair and red mohawks for Khajiit).

*nods* Indeed. Unfortunately, I'm well aware of that fact - although I hope that those NPC exclusive features will some day soon become available to players.

And it's all good. XD
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope so too! Especially the new hairstyles from the Thieves Guild.

Also, having taken a closer look today, I believe the bottom left tone is slightly paler.

• BlackWormDisciple
    I hope so too! Especially the new hairstyles from the Thieves Guild.

Also, having taken a closer look today, I believe the bottom left tone is slightly paler.

That's what I've been thinking as well - it just has a slightly paler look to it compared to the top one. Although, I'd still love for Abnur's skin tone to be available in the near future for Imperials - as well as a change to the Altmer hair colors to where there aren't 8 to 10 shades of blonde and white and only one type of brown. :tongue:
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the response, notime. I figured DC would be the most appropriate choice of faction for Imperials fleeing from Cyrodiil - unless they're the sort who just want to stop the Planemeld only, then go back to Cyrodiil to try and deal with things there in their own province.

Also, are you certain about there being less of a difference between Nibenese and Colovians in this case? I know Oblivion didn't do the best job at showing a difference between the two, but as I said in the original post, the Nibenese seem like the sort who would respect trade, diplomacy, and magic more than physical force, prowess, sailing, or military power, and vice versa for the Colovians. I mean, sure, there are exceptions, but even then I'd imagine their cultures would ingrain some sort of respect for what they, as a whole, seem to take pride in and value.

The races are distinct for the purpose of lore and stat mechanics, but when you start getting to where races are intermixed or int he environment of another race, aspects that are cultural and not biological are not going to be so distinct.
    Traditional and/or noble families would be more likely to stick to their heritage, but evens a colovian could have a family heritage of mercantilism or politics.

In regard to Colovian vs Nibenese, it is likely to be far less distinct in the first place because it is very unlikely the culture have not mixed and interbred for centuries. While the cultures are distinct to as we are told, there is too much logic to suggest mixing. There is also little in-game (including non-ESO sp titles) totally segregating Colovians and Nibenese other than casual distinctions made between imperials. Between imperials it is a form of banter but also a means for casual discrimination between the two.

A simple culture lessons: If nothing says don't breed with it, you will tend to breed with it. If you live close to it, you are more likely to associate with it.