The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Blacksmithing - leveling up. Help!

electriicw0lf
I finally got to level 9 in black smithing. What is the best and cheapest way to level up in black smithing?

Best Answers

• x_Nathan_F
    x_Nathan_F
    ✭✭✭
    One of the best ways for me was going down the sewers with a group, putting on auto loot and deconstructing everything you pick up.
    The best type of gear? Well I believe the higher the level the weapon the better.
    Answer ✓
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you guys for the input! I've mostly been stealing items and collecting items and deconstructing them so far. What gear is the best to deconstruct?

Just so you know, items you steal mostly give bupkiss for Inspiration when you decon them. Inspiration is Crafting Experience. You can get full Inspiration for an item only after you launder it and it has a value other than 0 after laundering. Note, those 0 value items can be improved to Green before decon, and you get full inspiration on that item. Nice if you have a bunch of Green Tempers laying around, not nice if you don't. For the most part, the stuff you steal is better served being fenced for gold to buy items to decon from Guild Kiosks.

A great source of loot farming for decon fodder are public dungeons, even slightly below your level. Lots of mobs so lots of loot. Plus your getting Experience, Gold and Glyphs to decon along with other loot to decon for the other crafts.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Answer ✓
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deconstruct everything you are not researching.

You can even buy higher lvl gear at guild store for cheap and decon it if you got the money and are focused on crafting mostly.

If you simply want to craft while you lvl, decon everything.
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My VET-6 is lvl 45 BS right now, and I have never crafted anything, just deconstructing junk along the way.
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
  • electriicw0lf
    Thank you guys for the input! I've mostly been stealing items and collecting items and deconstructing them so far. What gear is the best to deconstruct?
  • electriicw0lf
    What sewers?
  • x_Nathan_F
    x_Nathan_F
    ✭✭✭
    The imperial sewers the dlc in cyrodill
  • electriicw0lf
    Thanks nathan I am going to go to the sewers today! And thanks nester I never knew any of that. I'd always just decon stolen items and it's taking me forever to level up. I will try that thank you!!
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have the materials to spare, get a crafting buddy. Craft an item, trade them for your buddies' crafted stuff, deconstruct, repeat. That can provide a bit of a boost if you're willing to sacrifice the materials for it.
          In verity.
  • electriicw0lf
    I don't really have any friends that play ESO so I can't do that :(
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really have any friends that play ESO so I can't do that :(

You don't need a crafting buddy. I have leveled 6 Alts to 50 in Blacksmithing and never traded any items with anyone to do so.

I did try the make some stuff for someone to decon thing once, after about 6 Face to Faces to exchange 36 items, I gave back the mats and told them this was a waste of time and go find a public dungeon for loot. And, this was back a year and a half ago when other player made items could give more inspiration. Now, I don't think there is any real difference between player made and loot, for sure not with enchanting.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• electriicw0lf
    Yeah I've been looting dungeons a lot lately. Also buying very cheap wepons off my guild.