The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Bringing 2H Weapons in Line

DocFrost72
DocFrost72
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Just an idea, since it seems relatively easy to implement and I see no immediate downsides, I'd like to ask what the community thinks of the following;

Weapons that do not allow for use of the off-hand slot (2H weapons, bows, staves) give two set traits, as though the unusable offhand slot were also giving a trait.

As an example, using 3 pieces of Hunding's rage on your armor and using dual wield gives you a total of 5 pieces of the set, but using the same armor pieces and one greatsword currently gives only a total of 4. My suggestion would be to allow someone using a greatsword and three armor pieces to have 5 total set items, in order to help even the playing field a bit with dual wield and the other weapons (Since the difference in damage alone can be massive, and don't get me started on dual wield magicka builds...)

Apologies if this has already been addressed, checked and didn't see anything.
Edited by DocFrost72 on March 28, 2016 2:40PM
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They already compensate for this. Weapon traits on 2H weapons are twice as strong as 1H weapons.
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And weapon damage is higher as well. You really want sorcs running around with an extra piece of a set and an inferno staff? Lol
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They already compensate for this. Weapon traits on 2H weapons are twice as strong as 1H weapons.

You are absolutely correct, weapon traits are doubled. A precise one handed sword gives 3.5 crit chance at gold, and a greatsword gives 7. However, if you are using two swords (implied by dual wield), then there is no difference, IIRC. I could be wrong. This was more towards set bonuses.
    Hutch679 wrote: »
    And weapon damage is higher as well. You really want sorcs running around with an extra piece of a set and an inferno staff? Lol

Weapon damage with one one handed sword is lower than one two handed sword, absolutely correct. What I am saying, however, is that dual wield gives more weapon damage with the two weapons equipped than any 2H weapon does. Meaning that a sorc with dual wield actually has more weapon and spell damage outright than a sorc with a staff. The comment was not so much asking for a buff to the overall damage, but a trait.

As to your other point, I think that if a sorc with a destro wanted to gain an extra trait set, he could use dual wield. That gives him more spell power and more trait items than using a staff.
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your argument(s) seem to be focusing on the unjust benefit that Magicka builds which are DWing get from an additional set piece bonus, so I'll offer this:

Any Magicka build running Destro will be able to weave at any range, whereas one running DW will only be able to weave when they're up in your face and even then, the damage will be poor.

So the additional 3% Crit, 900 max magicka (= 90 additional TT damage), 168 Spell Damage etc from the additional set piece bonus increasing their DPS will either be offset somewhat or completely negated by lower overall DPS due to the lack of optimal weaving.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your argument(s) seem to be focusing on the unjust benefit that Magicka builds which are DWing get from an additional set piece bonus, so I'll offer this:

Any Magicka build running Destro will be able to weave at any range, whereas one running DW will only be able to weave when they're up in your face and even then, the damage will be poor.

So the additional 3% Crit, 900 max magicka (= 90 additional TT damage), 168 Spell Damage etc from the additional set piece bonus increasing their DPS will either be offset somewhat or completely negated by lower overall DPS due to the lack of optimal weaving.

While the post is focused on simply dual wield (and to a far lesser extent sword and shield) having the advantage of an extra set ability, you raise a good point. For magicka builds, staves offer extra light and heavy attack damage with maxed CP, offsetting some of the advantage, this offset is not present in the relationship of, say, a 2H sword versus two swords, concerning stamina builds.

It is a very minor thing to balance or focus on, and I understand that. There are also way larger issues in the game, but i feel like this is something we can discuss. There is also a lack of testing on my end (which I will fix later).
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was on the loo at the time I wrote this so forgot to add a point between 2h and DW :smile:

If we ignore those who use 2h (buff bar) and DW (damage bar) as they're not affected by any disparity and focus solely on those who use 2h and DW as their damage dealing bars without the other respectively on their buff bar..

Then I'd argue that the 20% increased damage and healing from Rally for 20 seconds offsets the disadvantage of a lack of additional bonus gained from DWing.

So for me, it's kind of [accidentally] balanced in that respect. Although I would like to see a correct balancing across them all, especially with Bows.
  • GreenGhostMan
    GreenGhostMan
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe allow 2H weapons to have two traits only if they are half strength. This would make it equal with DW, as you can have two different traits in one set up. Getting a 2nd full strength trait on 2H would just be unfair, as many others have mentioned above.
    Alozar [] AD [] vet7 High Elf Templar
    Dronus Agni [] AD [] 9 Redguard DK
    Vaden Luxor [] AD [] 4 Redguard Templar
  • vontariel
    vontariel
    ✭✭✭
    OP asked about 2h weapons only count as one for set bonus count. I am fully for that idea, because it'd bring 2h in-line in terms of set crafting.
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I support this idea OP

Bow, Staves, 2h weapons.

Added suggestion:
    Heck give us the opportunity to "recraft jewellery and change the sets for those also"

This would mean:

7 armour, 3 jewellery and 2 weapons.

This creates a VERY nice customizable scenario because many people only want to run one 5 set and then 3 set 4 set or 5 set 2 set,2 set, 2 set, finally a 4 set, 4 set 2 set ( for the adventurous and crazy folk out there...). Last but not least the boring 5 set 5 set 2 set folk.

I am all for greater freedom OP +1

EDIT for typo in 1st line
    Edited by Duiwel on March 29, 2016 9:33AM
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."