The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Disenchanting Items

TyreceGaines
TyreceGaines
Soul Shriven
Hello all,

I'm wondering how to "disenchant" items to learn their enchantments like in Skyrim. For example, I have some weapons that deal fire damage or that provide healing, etc. In Skyrim all you had to do was disenchant an item and you learned that enchantment and were able to apply it to other items. Is there a system like that in ESO? If so, how or where do I do it?

Thank you
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No sorry, it's not possible to do it that way.

You'll have to find runestones (you can find these by deconstructing glyphs at an enchanting table or by harvesting them out in the world) and make glyphs with them to discover what they do.

There's a guide here: tamrieljournal.com/crafting-and-professions/enchanting/
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • TyreceGaines
    TyreceGaines
    Soul Shriven
    Gotcha. So what do you suggest I do with weapons? Just sell them or is there something better to do with them?
  • fatemoe
    fatemoe
    Deconstruct to get blacksmith skill exp and material.

Sell those who with +280% value trait item only.
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell, research traits or deconstruct for XP in that craft. It all depends on your goals.

If you need enchants and you're not currently levelling enchanting (which I advise to do as early as possible by just deconstructing excess glyphs) then you can buy them from the enchanter at the relevant zone-player level.
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotcha. So what do you suggest I do with weapons? Just sell them or is there something better to do with them?

Well like these guys have said, if you have no use for the weapon I'd either research its trait or deconstruct it at a crafting station (maybe sell it if it's "ornate" and you're strapped for cash as this cannot be researched; and definitely deconstruct it if it's "intricate" as this can't be researched either and gives you bonus experience towards your crafting skills). The same goes for armor.

Researching its trait (e.g. sturdy, weighted, etc.) works more like Skyrim than learning enchantments. The item is destroyed in the process, but once the research is complete (unlike Skyrim you'll have to wait a certain period of time before conducting more research) you'll be able to craft whatever piece of armor/weaponry you researched with the trait. Traits will give your armor/weapons special bonuses you'll want later on. An additional bonus is that the more traits you know, the more types of armor sets you can craft so I'd start researching as early on in the game as you can.

Deconstructing will give you experience towards clothing/blacksmithing/woodworking depending on what you're deconstructing. The higher your craft skill, the more points you can put into making research times quicker, crafting higher level gear, and upgrading gear to higher quality levels.

PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."