Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mag DK Armor Discussion

Moglijuana
Moglijuana
✭✭✭✭✭
So, I've been enjoying this new update a bunch on my main, even with reflective scales still being broken. However, I still am messing around with different armor set ups and haven't really come to a definite decision on what I want to play with. Currently I run 5light/1m/1h. 5Kagrenacs/2Skoria/3 Willpower/2 Magnus. I'm still needing 3 more pieces of impen but I am definitely pretty tanky at the moment. I find my damage output is pretty good, even with only 2kish spell damage but I feel like in some scenario's a full set of heavy armor would be better.

I've seen some builds that have around the same stats that I do, but they are in heavy armor. What is the difference between 5L and 5H in that case? Does the spell penetration/reduced cost from the light armor tree outweigh the extra armor and healing bonuses from heavy armor? Even if the spell damage/recovery is the same for each set up? I'm currently sitting at 390 CPs so I know my recovery will be better later on, but still...

I find myself in tons of situations where I am outnumbered, because I play mostly solo/small scale, and am curious to know if a heavy set would be more beneficial in those cases. Or should I just finish my full light set of impenetrable gear and be done with it? Any help is appreciated =).
Edited by Moglijuana on March 28, 2016 2:19PM
Ps4 - PSN:jdmaya
Dårth Måul (AD- Dunmer Mag DK) Legate
Latest Vid:https://youtu.be/WZp_IdyrL6Q
  • Jormasaurus
    Stick with light. The damage with heavy is pathetic due to the lack of spell penetration and crit. You might be able to tank for longer with heavy but your damage sure as hell won't be sufficent enough to 1vX.
    PS4 EU @Jormasaurus
    PC EU @YRMAE
  • lynog85
    lynog85
    ✭✭✭
    Stick with light. The damage with heavy is pathetic due to the lack of spell penetration and crit. You might be able to tank for longer with heavy but your damage sure as hell won't be sufficent enough to 1vX.

Sup bro
  • Moglijuana
    Moglijuana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    True True. I guess I'll finish up my full light impen gear tonight and see what's up. Thanks guys.
  • Jormasaurus

lynog85 wrote: »

Sup bro

Hi ^_^
    PS4 EU @Jormasaurus
    PC EU @YRMAE
  • CMurder435
    CMurder435
    ✭✭
    @Jormasaurus

So I see that you like the light armor setups more this patch haha..hey bud :)

@Moglijuana

I still find I can do decent damage in heavy and I've not had the opportunity to really test light armor setups since dlc dropped on ps4 but Jormasaurus is a Good dk so I'd take his word if you don't want to waste materials crafting heavy sets. Imo, test as many different setups as possible and find out what fits your play style as a magicka dk. Good luck bro
  • Jormasaurus
    CMurder435 wrote: »
    @Jormasaurus

So I see that you like the light armor setups more this patch haha..hey bud :)

@Moglijuana

I still find I can do decent damage in heavy and I've not had the opportunity to really test light armor setups since dlc dropped on ps4 but Jormasaurus is a Good dk so I'd take his word if you don't want to waste materials crafting heavy sets. Imo, test as many different setups as possible and find out what fits your play style as a magicka dk. Good luck bro

Although I made my opinion on heavy pretty clear, I'd still advice trying a heavy setup if you have spare mats available. It definitely works, I even played with it for over 2 months, but I just think light is more effective after giving it a chance at last. :)
    PS4 EU @Jormasaurus
    PC EU @YRMAE
  • Moglijuana
    Moglijuana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh, I'm just going to stick with light. I actually dropped using a resto staff last night and tried s&sh/destro and was doing surprisingly well last night only using Deep Breath, Igneous and Coagulating to sustain myself. Worked better than I thought B) . Thanks all!
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm 5L/2H until I get the undaunted bonus. But definitely go light armor. Heavy is no the best for pvp unless you're a pure stamina tank. Even then medium might be better for pvp to be honest. You sacrifice wayyyyy too much not using light armor. I'm sitting at 2700 critical resistance on my magicka Dk in light and I have no problem killing things without getting wrecked. I run 5 julianos/4 magnus 3 willpower, destro/resto.
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hutch679 wrote: »
    I'm 5L/2H until I get the undaunted bonus. But definitely go light armor. Heavy is no the best for pvp unless you're a pure stamina tank. Even then medium might be better for pvp to be honest. You sacrifice wayyyyy too much not using light armor. I'm sitting at 2700 critical resistance on my magicka Dk in light and I have no problem killing things without getting wrecked. I run 5 julianos/4 magnus 3 willpower, destro/resto.

When I say 4 magnus I'm referring to helm, shoulder, destro then resto staff not the actual 4 piece bonus. Sorry for any confusion.

• Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You'd also lose sustain in heavy.

Light is the way to go.

Could swap your sword and board to torug's for extra damage.
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »

Light is the way to go.

I used torugs and seducer for a while but I switched to 3 piece magnus when I changed to destro the sustain is just much better. And if you run sword and shield then better to use the 4 piece magnus. If you run torugs and 2 piece seducer you lose out on the 3 piece bonus and the 4 piece bonus of magnus gives spell damage anyway.
  • Moglijuana
    Moglijuana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hutch679 wrote: »
    Brrrofski wrote: »

Light is the way to go.

I used torugs and seducer for a while but I switched to 3 piece magnus when I changed to destro the sustain is just much better. And if you run sword and shield then better to use the 4 piece magnus. If you run torugs and 2 piece seducer you lose out on the 3 piece bonus and the 4 piece bonus of magnus gives spell damage anyway.

Yup, Magnus is better than torugs imo for my DK. I only use two pieces of it bc of skoria, but the max magicka is more useful for me than the SD from torugs.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you recommend bar setup for PVP for 1H and Shield and Inferno Staff? I'm constantly switching stuff around and haven't found a perfect combo yet.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Moglijuana
    Moglijuana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you recommend bar setup for PVP for 1H and Shield and Inferno Staff? I'm constantly switching stuff around and haven't found a perfect combo yet.

I've been playing around with one recently and it does pretty well.
    S & SH - Deep Breath, Burning Talons, Igneous Shield, Coagulating, Flame Lash Ult: Devouring Swarm
    Destro - Inner Light, Volatile Armor, Molten Armaments, Invigorating Drain, Crushing Shock Ult: Shooting Star

Because I am relying on Dragons Blood and Deep Breath as my main heals, you MUST run immovable potions or you will die lol. But it's been really fun so far. Inner Light is my flex ability as I mainly use my destro bar for ult gen and ranged pressure. Once Scales is fixed I'm probably going to drop crushing shock and put it there.
    Edited by Moglijuana on March 29, 2016 7:13PM
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer an offense bar and a defense bar. I run destro resto, however, the set I would use if I did destro/sword and shield would be...

-Destro-
    Flame Lash
    Burning talons
    Invigorating drain
    Molten Armaments
    Dragonfire scale
    U- shooting star

-S&B-
    Deep breath
    Coagulating blood
    Burning embers
    Dragonfire scale
    Proxy det
    U- devouring swarm

This is all opinion and personal style based. Personally I'd never run destro & sword/shield though. Destro/resto is my bread and butter. Fire Mageknight.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you both for the suggestions. I am a vamp so I'll try Swarm, I have been slotting Shooting Star for more mag, but I'll play around with it.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You wanna make sure to use a vamp skill on at least one bar for the magicka recovery
  • DKsUnite
    DKsUnite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much the damage difference is 300-500 extra whip damage. Factor in crits and you lose so much damage it's silly to go heavy. Now that's for 1vX. If you want to tank you should go heavy. By taking I mean in like group play.
    Vyr Cor | Magicka Dragonknight | DC
    Vir Cor | Stamina Dragonknight | DC

Latest Videos:
    Magicka Dragonknight: Vyr Cor | "A Dragon's Fury" | Magicka Dragonknight PvP
    Stamina Dragonknight: Vir Cor | "Heathen" | Stamina Dragonknight PvP

Youtube: CorGaming
  • Jormasaurus
    DKsUnite wrote: »
    Pretty much the damage difference is 300-500 extra whip damage. Factor in crits and you lose so much damage it's silly to go heavy. Now that's for 1vX. If you want to tank you should go heavy. By taking I mean in like group play.

And possibly even more with the resource management gained from using light armor which allows the use of a more damage oriented setup. The difference is just so huge that I almost couldn't believe it at first. No more slapping sorcs with a 2k flame noodle. :D
    Edited by Jormasaurus on March 29, 2016 9:33PM
    PS4 EU @Jormasaurus
    PC EU @YRMAE