Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Failure to (re)Install Launcher after Error 210 - PatchManifestError_DownloadFail

LostGamer
LostGamer
✭✭✭
Previous History: on March07, I got the Crash on Launch. ZOS blamed video cards – ok, the HD4850 pair was not DirectX 11. Replaced them with a single HD6450 which is DirectX 11. No more crash on launch – now it became Error 210 – PatchManifestError_DownloadFail! ZOS declined to help with this problem because the HD6450 is “not good enough”. Already tried all these suggestions: Known Technical Issues & Troubleshooting (PC)
http://launcher.bethesda.net/Bethesda.net_Launcher/Bethesda.net_Launcher.patchmanifest cannot be downloaded - unable to connect to site. Some-one else kindly downloaded the patch file so I could put it in the correct directory & trying patching. Still failed. One of the recommendations was to completely uninstall and re-install. What a mistake! However, what’s done is done.

I now have a brand new video card: Asus Strix Radeon R9 390X w/ 8GB. I downloaded and installed DirectX 11.1 and the latest AMD Crimson graphics software/drivers. I have also updated BIOS, firmware, & drivers across the system.

After uninstalling the game via the Launcher or the uninstall\Uninstall The Elder Scrolls Online.exe, and verifying that the computer is clean, the Install_ESO.exe was downloaded again and run as administrator. (Rinse and repeat, several times)

I believe the Install_ESO.exe *never* completely finishes installing the Launcher software. The game is being installed to E:\ESO, run as Administrator. Both the install program and the Launcher have been given explicit firewall access, as well as anti-virus exceptions. There is 1TB of free space on that hard drive and 90GB fee on the Boot SSD. DirectX 11 & Visual C++ are already installed – it makes no difference whether one is checked, both, or neither. The install meter froze at 99% for several minutes, then all of a sudden the program window just disappears! It is no longer on the taskbar, there is a new icon on the desktop for the Launcher software, it is not obviously doing anything; however, the Install program has left a process running: Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe *32 (Description: Zenimax Online Studios Launcher) without an associated active application. So what does this program think it is supposed to be doing?? Because after all this, the Launcher cannot be started (Host_SingleInstance) until that left over process is killed or the system rebooted. The process is trying to do *something* because the memory usage is slowly increasing (~4k/2 sec). Now there is an icon on the small task drop-down – clicking on it will sometimes bring up the Launcher application, at which time the app finally appears in the Task Manager applications list and on the system task bar, stuck at Loading… indefinitely (certainly for over an hour which is the longest I could let it sit & do nothing).

Since the software is stuck at Loading… there is no Game Consultant option (or exe in the Launcher folder). There is an “Uninstall The Elder Scrolls Online.exe” in the uninstall folder which is how I remove the software for multiple retries.

My laptop never had a problem updating, repairing, etc. It cannot run the game, but it could install it. My desktop won’t. Why not?
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Processor: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 12MB Six Core (12 threads)
System RAM: 32GB
Hard Disk Space: 1TB free space on HDD where ESO is installed.
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 390X Direct X 11.0 compliant video card with 8GB RAM
Sound: Asus Sabertooth X79 Realtek ALC892 8-channel HD CODEC, DirectX 11 support
Internet: Wired Internet Broadband Connection
  • LostGamer
    LostGamer
    ✭✭✭
    Sheesh! Found the problem, no thanks to ZOS Customer Support. I post this in case anyone else runs into this problem...

They mucked with the Windows hosts file – adding the line 54.243.115.56 launcher.bethesda.net to the end of the file.
    Once I removed that, everything installed smoothly. ARRRGH!!

People should leave that file alone when they do not know what they are doing!!