The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Character stuck in orsinium - crashes every time I load him

Serenityx
Serenityx
✭✭✭
4 times now. 4 times I've loaded my character and crashed.

1st crash: started when I went inside cold snap clothiers and noticed a bit of screen tear along with frame drops and then crash.
2nd time: Reload ESO attempt to log in to same character, loading icon on screen lags and freezes up a bit and then crashes within 10 seconds of loading.
3rd time: thought it must be related to being inside the cold snap clothiers, so once I loaded I immediately noticed the frame drops and got the heck out of the shop - frames drop followed by crash
4TH ATTEMPT: same loading screen lag, character loaded outside of the clothier shop. I notice frame drops again, I make a run for the way shrine but frame drops and crash before I can walk 10 feet to the shrine.

I stopped here and tried to load my other character, who happened to be in orsinium as well. Notice the same lag in the loading screen and frames immediately start dropping once this character loads. I recalled to deshaan before the game could crash. After this I loaded the initial character again and noticed all the same side effects lag/frame drops etc but was able to recall to deshaan as well.

TL;DR for other players read this:

I was on my fourth attempt when making this post so I no longer need support, but I want to make it known that I crashed 4 consecutive times in orsinium within 10-15 seconds of exiting load screen. It has got to do with something about having two characters in orsinium because the game doesn't crash 4 times like that and then doesn't crash as soon as I only have one character in orsinium.

So, consider this a warning to any other players, try not to have two characters in orsinium at the same time and maybe even avoid the cold snap clothiers shop. I really thought I was SOL on loading my character because games don't crash 4 times without something really being screwed up...
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't crash but I do notice really long load times on any character I have that is in Wrothgar, or transfers to Wrothgar.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Serenityx
    Serenityx
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't spent enough time in wrothgar to notice it being worse than base game..just wanted to warn others I'm almost certain it was because I had two characters in orsinium at the same time or something to do with the cold snap clothiers shop. Either way I'm avoiding orsinium for a while. Not gonna risk having a character stuck like that again
  • Czeri
    Czeri
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had the same thing happen today in the same spot. I was inching my way towards the wayshrine during the few seconds between crashes until I finally reached it and escaped as far as I could. Now I'm afraid to ever go back...
  • Serenityx
    Serenityx
    ✭✭✭
    I had to recall by going to map->Press y->press->RB-> scrolled to deshaan and clicked a way shrine as quick as I could.
    Czeri wrote: »
    I had the same thing happen today in the same spot. I was inching my way towards the wayshrine during the few seconds between crashes until I finally reached it and escaped as far as I could. Now I'm afraid to ever go back...

Glad you made it out.. How many times did you crash and did you have two character in orsinium or just the one?
  • Czeri
    Czeri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just one character, but it was my main, so it really scared me. I crashed four or five times in total.

Mind you, I don't have a problem with the rest of Wrothgar, or even the rest of the city, so I'm thinking the crashes might be connected to the multiple instances of the bank/clothing station area the game has to have for the players. The reconstruction of Orsinium is a great idea, it is fun to see it change as you progress, and then see the statues added as you run into and pay the solicitor, but clearly it might have been too ambitious for the Xbox. Especially since it's such a popular spot - you've got loads of people going to the bank or to the crafting station, so showing them all the version of the city relevant to their progress just might be frying something.
  • ThatAlaskanDude
    ThatAlaskanDude
    ✭✭✭
    I had this very same problem. Only way to deal with it is to run from Orsinium and bear with the crashes until it doesn't crash anymore.
  • Czeri
    Czeri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Update- I've submitted a ticket, got the canned response of contact us in 96 hours or we'll consider the issue solved, replied that I still need help, and earlier today my console suddenly started updating itself while I was playing, Once the update finished, Wrothgar no longer crashes on me! I did the invitation to Orsinium quest and everything! Thank you update elves :-)
  • KaleidoscopeEyz
    KaleidoscopeEyz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Make a run for the way shrine. Once you get out of Orsinium it should stop. It may take you 5 reloads to make it to the way shrine though.
  • Robotworgen92
    I just found this problem as well, game crashes 1-3 seconds after loading my character. A dozen tries later, I found this post. I wish I knew about this sooner. Well, I suppose I could play a different character for a while. (Drags feet while mumbling angrily)
  • Methadone_Man
    Methadone_Man
    ✭✭✭
    My game crashes on many occasions inside the main city of Wrothgar. I got caught in a crash loop as well. I deleted my local save game data and reset the cache (MAC address thingy) and that seemed to help.
    Gamertag is Methadone Man
  • Smitch_59
    Smitch_59
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My game crashes at least once a day when I go to Wrothgar to turn in my provisioning writ. When I reload, it often crashes again within 5 seconds.
    By Azura, by Azura, by Azura!