Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Friendly Discussion to understand RP?

Curtdogg47
Curtdogg47
✭✭✭✭
I would like to understand your style of play? How that differs from a PVE player who is basically Role Playing as they go through the game? How does RP work in a MMO? And lastly should I encounter a group of you doing your thing how should I interact with you or should I simply leave you be and move on? Mostly I am curious about your community.

• MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how RP'ers feel, but I have definitely run into them before and if something interesting is going on I try to stay out of the way (stand back a bit) and just watch :) No one has given me grief for doing so, I think they don't mind as long as you're not trolling them and such. So I guess I'd like to know what some of them have to say as well.

Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a lot of people would like to watch. I wouldn't participate as English is not my first language (well, maybe I can roleplay a breton raised by traditional orcs or something, so he's not that good with words), but I would like to see.

Maybe they should announce their events more often, make some sort of a theater :)
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My RP in this game tends to lean more towards personal experience, revelation and story development of a character created and scoped on paper beforehand. This can sometimes limit my interaction with other players, and particularly so if I want to play a more solitary type of build, but there are still opportunities for a bit of interplay or cooperative questing. It can be a bit difficult on PS4 compared to PC, but it's not impossible.

I do enjoy watching others RP, and I too prefer to stand to one side and, better still, watch from a distance. I don't want to make a nuisance of myself! I don't mind people interacting with me, but I think when someone waves and walks off, that should be sufficient cue for you to do the same.

To be honest, I don't know how RP in MMOs is supposed to work, or whether there is a certain way to RP. Being respectful and considerate of others is probably the most important thing you can do, and there are useful guides out there. There are undoubtedly many others who are far more experienced than I who may share their thoughts, but I hope this helps.
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • Curtdogg47
    Curtdogg47
    ✭✭✭✭
    paganach wrote: »
    My RP in this game tends to lean more towards personal experience, revelation and story development of a character created and scoped on paper beforehand. This can sometimes limit my interaction with other players, and particularly so if I want to play a more solitary type of build, but there are still opportunities for a bit of interplay or cooperative questing. It can be a bit difficult on PS4 compared to PC, but it's not impossible.

I do enjoy watching others RP, and I too prefer to stand to one side and, better still, watch from a distance. I don't want to make a nuisance of myself! I don't mind people interacting with me, but I think when someone waves and walks off, that should be sufficient cue for you to do the same.

To be honest, I don't know how RP in MMOs is supposed to work, or whether there is a certain way to RP. Being respectful and considerate of others is probably the most important thing you can do, and there are useful guides out there. There are undoubtedly many others who are far more experienced than I who may share their thoughts, but I hope this helps.

Very interesting, thank you for sharing how you play.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it interesting when the RP'rs are not grouped and I can listen in with chat (Say mode).

I remember one time a group of about 10 RP's in the Vile Manse (this place is made for RPing BTW) standing around having a serious discussion about something. I tried to get them to group with me to run the dungeon in the cellar until I realized what they were doing.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    10jsr9.jpg
  • Curtdogg47
    Curtdogg47
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also is there any events on Xbox NA for people to come see what the RP thing is like?
  • Kova
    Kova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Curtdogg47 wrote: »
    I would like to understand your style of play? How that differs from a PVE player who is basically Role Playing as they go through the game? How does RP work in a MMO? And lastly should I encounter a group of you doing your thing how should I interact with you or should I simply leave you be and move on? Mostly I am curious about your community.

The most important thing to realize about the community is that we are just as much pvers and pvpers as we are Roleplayers. You'd probably never realize you were around us until the emote text pops up.

There are two types of RP, for the most part:

Tavern Style- This is just as it sounds. A bunch of characters attending a regular location to socialize like one would at a bar. This is probably what you're seeing when you think of RP. It's something most Rpers do in between stroy arcs.

Story Arcs- This usually requires a lot of Lore unless the roleplay is separate from the MMOs universe. (Something I don't personally like too much.) It involves alts being involved and usually has an underlying story to push the RP in a certain direction. It's hard to pull of without it seeming like "RP on rails." i.e. Nothing someone does matters to the end goal. This style of RP takes the longest.

Everything in between contributes to one or the other from what I've seen.

Depending on the players RP can either be really immersive and rewarding, or cringe inducing displays of ego.

EP Sorc: Aydinn
    AD Stamplar: Verdant`Knight
    DC Stamblade: Apple`Punch
    EP Stam Sorc: Kós
    AD DragonKnight: Transmigrant
    EP NIghtblade: Aydinn
  • Curtdogg47
    Curtdogg47
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kova wrote: »

The most important thing to realize about the community is that we are just as much pvers and pvpers as we are Roleplayers. You'd probably never realize you were around us until the emote text pops up.

There are two types of RP, for the most part:

Tavern Style- This is just as it sounds. A bunch of characters attending a regular location to socialize like one would at a bar. This is probably what you're seeing when you think of RP. It's something most Rpers do in between stroy arcs.

Story Arcs- This usually requires a lot of Lore unless the roleplay is separate from the MMOs universe. (Something I don't personally like too much.) It involves alts being involved and usually has an underlying story to push the RP in a certain direction. It's hard to pull of without it seeming like "RP on rails." i.e. Nothing someone does matters to the end goal. This style of RP takes the longest.

Everything in between contributes to one or the other from what I've seen.

Depending on the players RP can either be really immersive and rewarding, or cringe inducing displays of ego.

Thank you for sharing. I just really enjoy ESO and talking about it and learning about how other play styles and groups enjoy the game.
  • Grayphilosophy
    Grayphilosophy
    ✭✭✭

Personally I like to use roleplay as an extra layer to the normal gameplay. I'll run around doing PVE and PVP while keeping in mind "what would the character do?". If I'm doing one of those multiple choice quests, I'll lean towards whichever decision would make more sense for my character, rather than what I'd do myself. Probably not terribly uncommon, but still.

Other than that, there is of course the social or tavern roleplay like Kova mentioned. Point of this is pretty much just to play the role of your character and act as it would, using the /say and /emote channels to communicate and describe your actions respectively. Think of it like improv theathre, where everyone involved are simultaneously actors and audience. It's an interesting way to interact for entertainments sake.

What I love the most is to actually just play through the game's content with other roleplayers while being In Character (IC for short). Hooray for adventure RP \o/

As for interacting with people already engaged in RP, I'd say unless it looks like they're doing some kind of important or semi-scripted story event, feel free to join them if you're curious about it. If in doubt, don't be afraid to ask.
    Just make sure your character has a reason to interact with them. Maybe you'll find a group of people having a good time at a tavern, grab a seat at a nearby table and observe. Again, if you want to try and join in then don't be afraid to ask :)
    Edited by Grayphilosophy on March 15, 2016 1:19PM
  • Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭
    TBH I am more afraid of RPng than PvP, considering how f%&#$" up some people's minds are
  • Grayphilosophy
    Grayphilosophy
    ✭✭✭
    Prabooo wrote: »
    TBH I am more afraid of RPng than PvP, considering how f%&#$" up some people's minds are

Afraid? How so?
  • Turkeysammich
    Turkeysammich
    ✭✭✭
    Prabooo wrote: »

lol If I were to RP, my character would be crazy as heck and say random crap all the time, the other's wouldn't know what to do, they'd have a whole paragraph planned out, the BAM, forget most of it and leave it unfinished thanks to me.

I wouldn't mind at least RPing as a thief, without "nay" "come hither" or other Shakespearean junk, though. Last RPers I ran by using that, gave away the whole story to ESO in one lengthy paragraph.
  • Hawkeye0099
    Does anyone here have an ep role-playing guild? That isn't military style. Me and a few friends are looking to join. I don't have time to start one. Ep xbox1 na
  • Grayphilosophy
    Grayphilosophy
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone here have an ep role-playing guild? That isn't military style. Me and a few friends are looking to join. I don't have time to start one. Ep xbox1 na

NA or EU?
  • Hawkeye0099

NA or EU?

NA sir. Doesn't have to be ep
  • Grayphilosophy
    Grayphilosophy
    ✭✭✭

NA or EU?

Aha, don't think I can help you then m'afraid. I play on EU :<

However! you could always try looking around on teso-rp.com :D
  • jarnkoldur
    jarnkoldur
    ✭✭✭
    Roelplaying: Addressing the concern of 'not locating any instances of roleplaying.'

Due to an apparent lack of roleplay within the PS4 NA server, I, seeking to roleplay, was made to create a guild. Perhaps it is due to a certain distrust and misunderstanding of roleplay and it's nuances in general, yet I realize only a minute percentage of an MMORPG's population engages in roleplaying and this fact often makes it discouraging to seek roleplaying. Add to the fact that the consoles do not facilitate text-chat and the endeavor becomes far more unsurmountable. Thus the endeavor was going to be difficult from the start, I realized this,but I wanted to experience the joy of roleplaying and storytelling within my ESO experience.

As the now overdone and played out wisdom from the film Field of Dreams imparts, "if you build it they will come."

It has been over a month now and the Order of Vagrant Hounds on the PS4 NA server continues to grow. To roleplayers, principally those on the console servers, one has to be realistic - as the effort might be naught but undertaken in vain, yet, in stating that one still has to: roll up your sleeves, endure a bit of humiliation from the generally despotic public, and push forth the effort to recruit and establish a roleplaying community. In the end nothing may come of it, but that is also realizing that something can.

"And when the truth finally dawns, it shall dawn in fire!"
  • Hawkeye0099
    jarnkoldur wrote: »
    Roelplaying: Addressing the concern of 'not locating any instances of roleplaying.'

Due to an apparent lack of roleplay within the PS4 NA server, I, seeking to roleplay, was made to create a guild. Perhaps it is due to a certain distrust and misunderstanding of roleplay and it's nuances in general, yet I realize only a minute percentage of an MMORPG's population engages in roleplaying and this fact often makes it discouraging to seek roleplaying. Add to the fact that the consoles do not facilitate text-chat and the endeavor becomes far more unsurmountable. Thus the endeavor was going to be difficult from the start, I realized this,but I wanted to experience the joy of roleplaying and storytelling within my ESO experience.

As the now overdone and played out wisdom from the film Field of Dreams imparts, "if you build it they will come."

It has been over a month now and the Order of Vagrant Hounds on the PS4 NA server continues to grow. To roleplayers, principally those on the console servers, one has to be realistic - as the effort might be naught but undertaken in vain, yet, in stating that one still has to: roll up your sleeves, endure a bit of humiliation from the generally despotic public, and push forth the effort to recruit and establish a roleplaying community. In the end nothing may come of it, but that is also realizing that something can.

Inspiration
  • Hawkeye0099

NA or EU?

Aha, don't think I can help you then m'afraid. I play on EU :<

However! you could always try looking around on teso-rp.com :D

I think I have an eu. I might switch to check it out
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    [q]I think I have an eu. I might switch to check it out[/quote]

EU = Europe
    NA=North American

And above seems to be part of my problem. EU seems to have great rp'ers if the boards are any indication. I cannot seem to find any really active RP guilds in NA. I would prefer something that is not dedicated to a theme, just a guild that allows rp'er to come together.

"Krist the Lionheart? No. Lionheart was my dog" -Krist
    "Darling, if looks were everything, I would be king of the world" -Luke
    "That place, between day and night, that purple color just before dark, that is where you will find me"- Hughe
  • Hawkeye0099
    Krist wrote: »
    [q]I think I have an eu. I might switch to check it out

EU = Europe
    NA=North American

And above seems to be part of my problem. EU seems to have great rp'ers if the boards are any indication. I cannot seem to find any really active RP guilds in NA. I would prefer something that is not dedicated to a theme, just a guild that allows rp'er to come together.

[/quote]

I think the problem could be similar to my situation. When xbox first came out, I couldn't get on na so I made a few rp characters for eu since I always planed on grinding away with my friends on NA. It could be the culture of NA as well, being more cod based and judgemental.
    What alliance are you in? Maybe we can start one ourselves.
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    What alliance are you in? Maybe we can start one ourselves.

I play DC and EP but my play has been sporadic of late, as happens with me sometimes, partially due to work, partially due to me being interested in something else like a book or something...or alot of fishing lately. I plan to get back into it this weekend though, so if you have anyone on those servers be glad to join an rp guild. I do not wish to run one though, but happy to be a help. :)

I have thought of forming a guild where rp'ers can join from other guilds so that there can be interaction between guilds, without the leaders feeling someone is trying to steal their people or that they have to contribute much to it outside of letting folks know where the rp is.
    I am not even sure if there are that many out there anymore. I seldom run across it.

Anyway, send me a PM if you get anything going. I check the boards almost daily.
    "Krist the Lionheart? No. Lionheart was my dog" -Krist
    "Darling, if looks were everything, I would be king of the world" -Luke
    "That place, between day and night, that purple color just before dark, that is where you will find me"- Hughe