The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

v16 magicka sorc, need advice (updated)

Saint314Louis1985
Saint314Louis1985
✭✭✭
so im almost to v16 on my sorc. im trying to plan out my gear and wanted to grab a few opinions if possible. any help would be appreciated.

my build is magicka sorc 6 light 1 heavy with destro/resto staves. i do not want to use duel wield.

i am contemplating using:

5pc julianos - 4pc light armor and both staves
1 pc molag kena shoulders (heavy)
2 pc torug pact - 2 pc light armor
3pc willpower - jewelry

I was thinking about sustain, and wondering if i would be lacking. I have almost 400CP. Been contemplating what glyphs i should use on my jewelry. I am thinking I should go with 1 recovery or reduce cost glyph and 2 spell damage glyphs.

My questions are:

1) Will my build have enough sustain for PVP as is? My goal is around 1500 regen. I wouldnt want to go much lower if possible.
2) Would i be better off taking out molag kena shoulder and torag pact set and finding something with max magicka/recovery 2/3pc bonuses? this would allow me to use 3 spell dmg glyphs on my jewelry. dont spell dmg glyphs give more than the extra dmg for the armor set bonuses?
3) What trait should i put on my destro stave?
4) What trait should I put on my resto staff?
5) Which mundus should i go for? I would like to stick with the thief but am open to trying something new. Should i keep my gear as is and go all spell damage glyphs on jewelry, then go atronach for extra regen? i would be going down to 40% crit from 50%. Is that a noticeable difference?

Any advice?
Edited by Saint314Louis1985 on March 14, 2016 1:41PM
  • byCrux
    byCrux
    ✭✭
    If you just want 1500 recov then yeah that build would be good, just make sure you get all gold vet 16 mag glyphs on the armor. On console I run nirnhoned staves but I don't see a difference in damage, and I use the atronach boon for magicka recovery and then I put the rest of my gear into damage, with one recovery glyph on my jewelry. With 1500 recovery you might not have as good sustain as you might want tho. Having a lot of magicka will help you, but I would shoot for around 2k recovery.
    Xbox NA
  • Borgenaattori
    Hi check this build.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/249885/dps-sorcerer-high-damage-group-build#latest

You dont need much recovery with this, because when macig is low, you use some overload light attacks and gather macig meanwhile. before bosses you have to gather ultimate a lot, so you can nuke them down. In pvp this is good, but enemies from hidden and nb:s with shield braker time to times put you down, but with this build you can kill anything with pure hits.
    With this build your damage is awesome anywhere in tamriel.
  • Borgenaattori
    spell power vr spell crit? My opinion is that spell crit build is way better than spell power when we talk about sorc because Overload wich is best ulti in eso.
  • Saint314Louis1985
    Saint314Louis1985
    ✭✭✭
    Hi check this build.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/249885/dps-sorcerer-high-damage-group-build#latest

You dont need much recovery with this, because when macig is low, you use some overload light attacks and gather macig meanwhile. before bosses you have to gather ultimate a lot, so you can nuke them down. In pvp this is good, but enemies from hidden and nb:s with shield braker time to times put you down, but with this build you can kill anything with pure hits.

hmm thats pretty much the armor sets i came up with lol (i swear i didnt cheat off you).

im unsure why your crit % is so high though mine stays around 50%. im still in v15 gear but i dont see it jumping 20% with the upgrade to v16. Does your build stats include PVP buff server buffs?

The only differences are i run a diff skill set up. My playstyle is more solo oriented. Going to slot proxy det once i unlock it.

bar - destro staff

force pulse
    inner light
    frags
    curse
    hardened ward
    ult - overload

bar 2 - resto staff
    streak
    inner light
    power surge
    healing ward
    hardened ward
    ult - meteor

I also like to rely on overload to restore magicka when my resource is low in PVE, but for PVP i find that most people easily dodge overload, so would rather have a little higher regen.

I am ok with the 50% crit i have because any shield your enemy has in pvp negates crit completely. Of course higher is better but im not going to sacrifice anything else to get more crit.
  • Saint314Louis1985
    Saint314Louis1985
    ✭✭✭
    byCrux wrote: »
    If you just want 1500 recov then yeah that build would be good, just make sure you get all gold vet 16 mag glyphs on the armor. On console I run nirnhoned staves but I don't see a difference in damage, and I use the atronach boon for magicka recovery and then I put the rest of my gear into damage, with one recovery glyph on my jewelry. With 1500 recovery you might not have as good sustain as you might want tho. Having a lot of magicka will help you, but I would shoot for around 2k recovery.

what armor you running? and what is your spell damage if you dont mind me asking?
  • Saint314Louis1985
    Saint314Louis1985
    ✭✭✭
    just figured id put an update on here, and had another question regarding molag kena.

ive been playing around with different armor, and have come up with a setup that seems to work pretty good for me.

gear is currently:
    destro/resto staves
    5pc Julianos
    1pc molag kena
    2pc archmage
    mundus stone - apprentice

with inner light & surge, my stats are:
    39k magicka
    3400 spell damage
    1050 magicka regen (which i dont mind because im using overload to regen magicka)
    48% crit
    some gear is still v15 with purple enchants and archmage traits arent ideal. also, my race is dark elf.

now to my question.

i was recently lucky enough to score a medium molag kena helm to finish my set. my problem is that i cannot figure out how to fit it into a staff build without wasting an armor slot, and i dont have a maelstrom staff.

another problem with using the molag kena helm is that it increases the cost per overload, which means it burns faster and doesnt restore enough magicka to help with my sustain.

i would like to use the helm, but want to stick with a staff. any ideas on how to do so without lowering my spell damage?
    Edited by Saint314Louis1985 on March 14, 2016 1:41PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    x2 kena, x3 willpower, x4 overwhelming, x2 Torug, vs x3 willpower, x5 Julianos, x1 kena x2 torug

(If u use gold willpower staff and x1 succession jewelry) the difference is: less than 40 spell damage and 7% crit chance without the proc to kena.

Imo that's more than worth it, darn close stats and then the option to proc kena.

Edit: if you want to increase your odds of hitting with Overload, put streak on that bar.
    Edited by Waffennacht on March 14, 2016 8:13PM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Saint314Louis1985 your answers will vary depending on PvP or PvE. Unfortunately you're not going to run a One set fits All armor build.

Some will stand by Julianos for PvP, others will not. I stay away from it for the facts:
    - Almost all stam builds run impen
    - The other half of PvP'ers run shields and you can't crit shields

• crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi check this build.

hmm thats pretty much the armor sets i came up with lol (i swear i didnt cheat off you).

im unsure why your crit % is so high though mine stays around 50%. im still in v15 gear but i dont see it jumping 20% with the upgrade to v16. Does your build stats include PVP buff server buffs?

The only differences are i run a diff skill set up. My playstyle is more solo oriented. Going to slot proxy det once i unlock it.

bar - destro staff

force pulse
    inner light
    frags
    curse
    hardened ward
    ult - overload

bar 2 - resto staff
    streak
    inner light
    power surge
    healing ward
    hardened ward
    ult - meteor

I also like to rely on overload to restore magicka when my resource is low in PVE, but for PVP i find that most people easily dodge overload, so would rather have a little higher regen.

I am ok with the 50% crit i have because any shield your enemy has in pvp negates crit completely. Of course higher is better but im not going to sacrifice anything else to get more crit.

I'm v11 with shadow stone and my critical is at 48%. It seems you should be more than 60 with thief.....

Quickly. Base 10, Thief and mundus 15+, prodigy 10, mage light 10, spell precision 10, some set items, 5.
    Edited by crislevin on March 15, 2016 1:10PM
  • Saint314Louis1985
    Saint314Louis1985
    ✭✭✭
    I switched mundus stone at that time. Wasnt running thief.

I usually run thief or inner light, but not both.
    Edited by Saint314Louis1985 on March 15, 2016 1:48PM
  • Saint314Louis1985
    Saint314Louis1985
    ✭✭✭
    x2 kena, x3 willpower, x4 overwhelming, x2 Torug, vs x3 willpower, x5 Julianos, x1 kena x2 torug

(If u use gold willpower staff and x1 succession jewelry) the difference is: less than 40 spell damage and 7% crit chance without the proc to kena.

Imo that's more than worth it, darn close stats and then the option to proc kena.

Edit: if you want to increase your odds of hitting with Overload, put streak on that bar.

hmm.... so looks like i need to farm a couple more pieces of overwhelming to try it out. kind of worried about the low regen though. would i be better of changing cps all over to spell reduction cost or vice versa? ive got a 50/50 split between regen and cost reduction atm.

thx btw
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kinda different but I like running 4 magus gift and 5 suducer is really good for magical regen and great sustain used to run this for a bit long time ago it's pretty easy to get.
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also you could try 5pc kagrenac instead of Julianos, you'll lose the crit and like 70ish SD but you still get around 220-230 Spell damage plus you get recovery and health bonuses.
  • DjSolJAH
    DjSolJAH
    ✭✭✭

hmm.... so looks like i need to farm a couple more pieces of overwhelming to try it out. kind of worried about the low regen though. would i be better of changing cps all over to spell reduction cost or vice versa? ive got a 50/50 split between regen and cost reduction atm.

thx btw

If you run atronach mundus for increased magica you should lean toward magica recovery CP as you get a much higher percentage in this star and it will give you much better sustain
    Zee blues are coming!!!! Always.... Always coming...