Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is it worth a Sorcerer to use other things than a Staff?

Benie
Benie
✭✭✭
The title says most of my question. Wanna know if it's worth, say... a Sorcerer going with Dual Weld swords and the like, or are we just too squishy and only serve as backup for more stronger classes (except we're the only class that has combat pets)?
--Char info updated as of March 23rd, 2016 - PC NA--
Benie - VR1 Argonian Stam DragonKnight (2H Sword/Bow/WW)
Beniee - VR3 Nord Mag Sorcerer (Destruction Staff)

Well-known hotbar button spammer
  • mertusta
    mertusta
    ✭✭✭✭
    Squishy? Bro you have a great damage shield, burst, mobility, magicka sustain. What else you want? Sorcerer does not serve as backup; sorcerer is the strongest class and they backup themselves!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, you typed (Main) Beniee - VR2 Nord Sorcerer (Destruction Staff/Bow) on your forum sign. Maybe that's the main problem. Are you stamina or magicka based sorcerer? I've never heard destro/bow combination before.
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dual wield has benefits and drawbacks. The main benefit is the increased spell/weapon damage you get from carrying 2 weapons, the main drawback is not being able to light/heavy attack from range. Generally speaking sorcs in pve use destro staff on their main rotation bar to weave light and heavy attacks between skills, and then dual wield on their overload/execute bar for for more damage when they can't weave. Most sorcs use destro/resto for pvp. There are some sorcs that use dual wield/resto for pvp but that playstyle is more risky and less sustainable. There's a lot to be said for being able to send a light or heavy attack towards your opponent between every skill. If what you care about is tooltip damage then dual wield might be for you though.
    PC | EU
  • Benie
    Benie
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that info, Fried. That pretty much answered my question.
    --Char info updated as of March 23rd, 2016 - PC NA--
    Benie - VR1 Argonian Stam DragonKnight (2H Sword/Bow/WW)
    Beniee - VR3 Nord Mag Sorcerer (Destruction Staff)

Well-known hotbar button spammer
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When i reached VR1 on my sorc i donned heavy armour and a sword and shield for at least 13 VR levels.. i just found it easier to survive in cyrodiil then, with my shields and heavy armour i was doing ok...

I see now that you are a nord sorcerer, TOUGH class race match to play....

Have you thought of dropping the magicka and going full stam?
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• Bdawwg
    Bdawwg
    ✭✭✭
    I'd advise to stick to destro resto until higher veteran ranks, it's a lot more difficult to duel wield without a spam able dps ability and no medium weaving.
    As it's said above though, if you've got a nord sorc you might better off going as a stam sorc instead using the storm calling skill line as a magicka dump and 2h/duel wield or 2h/bow if you're a fan of that gameplay.
  • DephlaterMouse
    DephlaterMouse
    ✭✭✭
    For leveling I did a stamina sorcerer with 2 pets and the Curse that boosts their damage then 2 hand. It was ridiculously fun. I wouldn't PVP with it, but it was fun.
    Edited by DephlaterMouse on March 9, 2016 6:24PM
    USA to New Zealand transplant.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried dual wield on my mag sorc, and I hated it because it was much harder to generate ultimate at range. Like others, I would only recommend it on your off bar for Overload.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ha ha sorc as back up. That's a good one. no one would or could say sorcs are not a strong class. Op no best probably not but back up... Hardly.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • Lord_Wrath
    Lord_Wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If im by myself in pvp ill run sword & board sometimes to play with it. I put max magicka enchant on the shield for extra juice, and its a little extra armor too.

5 Kagrenacs hope (6 with shield)
    3 Archmage
    1 Kena
    3 Willpower jewelry
    1300+ CP | Lørd Wrath | - Sorcerer - Palatine - Grand Master Crafter - 30000 Achievement Points
    Launch Player - PC - NA - EP