Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

No longer works in Wine

howardeb17_ESO2
I know it's not officially supported, but it had worked fine on 2.2.x and older. What happened? It's somehow connected with DirectX11? I would really need it to play in Linux. Now I cannot play on all my computers :(
Action stations, action stations. Set condition one throughout the ship. This is not a drill.
  • NerfPlease
    NerfPlease
    ✭✭✭
    also VMware stop working with teso

need to find DX11 VM support soft
    anyone?
  • sidebyside
    sidebyside
    ✭✭
    Yes me too just trying now whatever possible but it crashes...
  • BDB_Inc
    BDB_Inc
    I can't start the game in Linux, either. I've been playing a year using OpenGL in my UserSettings.txt file, but that doesn't work now. I've tried a number of things to get this going, different versions of WINE, deleting files, etc., with no effect.

I don't know if this is DirectX 11 related, they changed a lot of things. Seems likely, though, since it's so widespread. Last month they did a server update that kept some of us (Linux and Windows users) from getting past the character selection screen. I spent a lot of time and effort scouring the Internet and trying everything I could find without finding a fix, so I gave up. Another server update 2 weeks later and I was able to get back in by changing WINE version. Other people could not, Linux or Windows. I played for 2 weeks and now I'm cut off again, not able to even launch the game. I'm not up for even trying again.
  • Billtheman
    Seems the Theives Guild patch disables OPENGL support. They need to fix this ASAP and allow OPENGL or lose a lot of customers.
  • TheBrownWiener
    TheBrownWiener
    ✭✭✭
    Billtheman wrote: »
    Seems the Theives Guild patch disables OPENGL support. They need to fix this ASAP and allow OPENGL or lose a lot of customers.

Pretty sure Macs are using OpenGL.
    I though wine emulated dx9? (I might be wrong)
    And they don't dx11, which is the real issue.
  • Billtheman
    No the real issue for us folks that are using WINE is OPENGL. Macs are using it but if you edit UserSettings.txt and put OPENGL in the line on a PC it will still make a call to DX11 for some reason, thus causing the crash. This at least is how it appears since it mentions that the renderer is DX11 during the crash screen and not OPENGL. WINE can emulate DX9 as well, but OPENGL is native to Linux and tends to run a bit better. All the Linux users have been running this game through OPENGL as far as I know, and mostly with PlayonLinux. Unfortunately, Zenimax seems pretty keen on meeting the system requirements though, and even though they support Macs they do not support Linux so they don't have to keep OPENGL on a PC system if they don't want to. I will give them them a couple days and then uninstall it. So very disappointing, they will lose a big customer base, at least until Code Weavers can implement a true DX11 into WINE which will likely take some months. I've already starting looking for new MMO games. What a waste of money, can't believe I just bought this last week AND a new video card.
  • Avianographer
    Avianographer
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure why you're disappointed. You purchased a game that does not have native Linux binaries or even a supported code wrapper. This is not the fault of ZeniMax at all. Have you considered dual-booting into Windows to play the game? You can purchase a license for Windows 10 Home for USD 100.
  • Billtheman
    Lol, why am I disappointed in a game that worked fine before the patch and now doesn't work that was tested to work by the Linux community and did work and now doesn't since they patched it? Why would I be disappointed? For the record it was running perfectly fine and I never said they were at fault, but it is definitely disappointing and no thanks to Windows. Oh only 100 bucks for Windows? Lol.
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    FakeAlGore wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you're disappointed. You purchased a game that does not have native Linux binaries or even a supported code wrapper. This is not the fault of ZeniMax at all. Have you considered dual-booting into Windows to play the game? You can purchase a license for Windows 10 Home for USD 100.

To kind of reiterate Bill's point I purchased this game after thoroughly checking that it worked well in wine beforehand. At present this game is the only software I'd need to dual boot into Windows for and I'm hesitant to pay $100 and take up a lot of room on my hard drive for a single game.

The problem for us wine users at present is that Zenimax seemed to also discontinue Windows OpenGL support with this patch. So they're maintaining a ton of OpenGL work for the Mac client but not incorporating it into the Windows client which is now DirectX 11 only.

It's a bit disheartening to know that Zenimax has the vast majority of the work done for OpenGL support on the Windows client because of their Mac client work and seem to be refusing to do the last little bit of gluing to help out Windows users that want to be using OpenGL as well as us Wine users.
  • howardeb17_ESO2
    Bad thing is, that i can no longer play on my laptop with Linux. So I can no longer play while travelling (for instance on a business trip or while visiting my parents in the evening) .

And worse is, that it no longer works even on my wife's laptop with Win 7.
    I can understand, that Linux is not supported. But there are many people compaining about problems in Windows.

I'm disappointed.
    They will have less players (and less potentially paying customers).
    Edited by howardeb17_ESO2 on March 9, 2016 9:32AM
    Action stations, action stations. Set condition one throughout the ship. This is not a drill.
  • sidebyside
    sidebyside
    ✭✭
    And unfortunately we have no similar to wine program in order to do the other way around and play the mac version. Many years ago I remember there was a close to wine emu called pearpc or similar name. (memory may betray me here. I tried it a few times but from administrative point of view was meaningless as few PCs were running mac back then. I suspect it doesn't exist anymore?
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    sidebyside wrote: »
    And unfortunately we have no similar to wine program in order to do the other way around and play the mac version. Many years ago I remember there was a close to wine emu called pearpc or similar name. (memory may betray me here. I tried it a few times but from administrative point of view was meaningless as few PCs were running mac back then. I suspect it doesn't exist anymore?

https://darlinghq.org/

It's still in its infancy and has no chance of running games yet.
  • Avianographer
    Avianographer
    ✭✭
    @sidebyside bring up an interesting point. Would it be possible to install OS X as a "hackintosh" of sorts and play it that way? I don't recall seeing a similar post about OpenGL requiring version 4.1*, so it might be a possible solution. You can purchase a legitimate license for OS X 10.6 from Apple for only USD 20 and then get the free upgrade to OS X 10.10 via the Mac App Store.

While you're still violating the EULA by installing it on non-Apple hardware, at least you can't say that you've pirated it.

* The patch notes specifically state "We have upgraded the Mac client to use OpenGL 4.1", but it does not say that OpenGL 4.1 is required. The DirectX 11 note states "We will no longer support graphics cards and operating systems that are not compatible with DirectX 11".
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    FakeAlGore wrote: »
    @sidebyside bring up an interesting point. Would it be possible to install OS X as a "hackintosh" of sorts and play it that way? I don't recall seeing a similar post about OpenGL requiring version 4.1*, so it might be a possible solution. You can purchase a legitimate license for OS X 10.6 from Apple for only USD 20 and then get the free upgrade to OS X 10.10 via the Mac App Store.

While you're still violating the EULA by installing it on non-Apple hardware, at least you can't say that you've pirated it.

* The patch notes specifically state "We have upgraded the Mac client to use OpenGL 4.1", but it does not say that OpenGL 4.1 is required. The DirectX 11 note states "We will no longer support graphics cards and operating systems that are not compatible with DirectX 11".

I'd been following the OpenGL changes and a card with 4.1 actually is required now on Mac. This also makes the statement "cards require DiretX 11 support" true for Mac's because only cards with DirectX 11 support also support OpenGL 4.x+

I have a GT 640 so if OpenGL support for Windows were re-enabled I could play but I have my doubts Zenimax will keep moving forward with OpenGL for Windows.

As for the Hackintosh idea it could work but it's kind of a crapshoot. Because Mac is only made available for specific hardware found in the Mac lineup it's uncertain whether there'd be support for a random persons configuration. It could very well not work with some motherboard chipsets, cpu architectures, or video cards.
  • sidebyside
    sidebyside
    ✭✭
    Yes it was far fetched indeed.
    So unless we somehow solve that openGL/wine/windows conundrum we are run out of luck gentlemen.
    Unless ''Z'' do the decent thing and re-introduce the openGL support back on windows :(
  • Billtheman
    2 things.

1. I just dropped 400 bucks on new system parts but NOT Windows ... raspberry noise Zenimax....

2. I can now get past the login and splash screen into the loading screen but NOT into the character select screen using DX11 and some know how. I suspect that CodeWeavers DX11 implementation will not work for a few months no matter what. Still, it's promising to get SOMEWHERE.

3. Eve online works really well on WINE and it's pretty fun. Let me know if you have trouble installing it.
  • Billtheman
    I can now get all the way into the game past the character creation screen. I can see other ppl talking and I can move around as if all was well, however the main screen is black so it doesn't work. It was good just to see that screen again though and hear that music. The new processor doesn't crash but we can't display anything yet I guess in DX11 just a black screen.
  • BDB_Inc
    BDB_Inc
    @Billtheman,

Can you give a few brief details of what you've been doing to get to the point you have?
  • NerfPlease
    NerfPlease
    ✭✭✭
    when Wine will support dx 11 who knows?
  • sidebyside
    sidebyside
    ✭✭
    Billtheman
    Billtheman wrote: »
    I can now get all the way into the game past the character creation screen. I can see other ppl talking and I can move around as if all was well, however the main screen is black so it doesn't work. It was good just to see that screen again though and hear that music. The new processor doesn't crash but we can't display anything yet I guess in DX11 just a black screen.

Aye I want to second that,
    Could you please provide a few details abt how you manage to reach that point
    We may be able to solve this with joined effort..
  • howardeb17_ESO2
    Something happened :)
    Yesterday I tried to run ESO in Linux on my desktop computer with AMD Radeon HD 7850 graphics card and it worked.

But it doesn't work on my computer at work with Nvidia GT610. But as I said, maybe it's a good thing that I can no longer play at work :). I think my employer did this - conspiration theory :)
  • NerfPlease
    NerfPlease
    ✭✭✭
    @howardeb17_ESO2 impossible
    how you can play at linux if Pc client no longer support Wine and opengl?
  • sidebyside
    sidebyside
    ✭✭
    Something happened :)
    Yesterday I tried to run ESO in Linux on my desktop computer with AMD Radeon HD 7850 graphics card and it worked.

But it doesn't work on my computer at work with Nvidia GT610. But as I said, maybe it's a good thing that I can no longer play at work :). I think my employer did this - conspiration theory :)

Did you tried it previously and didn't work or is it your first try and worked straight away?
    Did you upgrade the wine version or something?
  • howardeb17_ESO2
    I'm not sure.
    But I didn't upgrade anything. Wine 1.7.15, PlayOnLinux 4.2.10, OS openSUSE 13.1 with kernel 3.12, AMD Catalyst (FGLRX) from december 2015.

But this is the only computer where I can play ESO.
  • sidebyside
    sidebyside
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure.
    But I didn't upgrade anything. Wine 1.7.15, PlayOnLinux 4.2.10, OS openSUSE 13.1 with kernel 3.12, AMD Catalyst (FGLRX) from december 2015.

But this is the only computer where I can play ESO.

Pretty much we have the same O/S ( OpenSUSE 13.2 here) The rest of my rig is VGA HD 7770 OC 2 GB 16GB RAM 120GB SSD disc
    If it worked for you it must work for me as well..
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    It looks like the crashing has been resolved and I can log in now but everything is black but the HUD. The console is spitting out a ton of D3D11 messages so it is still looking like OpenGL is no longer available. Game won't be playable in Wine until it has DirectX 11 support unless Zenimax decides to bring back the Windows OpenGL client.
  • Billtheman
    Agreed. This game is a lost cause. However, Alien Isolation is now 15 bucks on steam and supports Linux. I just bought SOMA from gog and it's awesome. Unfortunately EVE online also stopped working. They want to support Linux but they don't know how so maybe I can get that to work again.
  • NerfPlease
    NerfPlease
    ✭✭✭
    still no official answer
  • ZOS_MollyH
    Greetings all,

OpenGL used in Windows can use up twice the memory as using DX11, which is likely why it's not working. On OSX, OpenGL is a requirement as well.

ESO has never provided support for Wine or any Linux environments, and as such we are unable to assist with any troubleshooting.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • NerfPlease
    NerfPlease
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_MollyH hey, did you guys testing on Pc client - OpenGL still working or not?
    id like to play in OpenGL mode at my Windows 10 - because i liek graphic more than with D3D11

but after TG dlc i cant

if i change the value in usersettings.txt game automatically switching back to D3D11 on launch

so i think you guys dropped OpenGL support for PC client at all
    but you forgot to mentio it in the patchnotes? or its an oversight?

i have enough RAM - 16GB, or VRAM - 2GB to play in OpenGL mode

please, ask the developers - if its real and OpenGL for Pc was cutted?