The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
The connection issues for the North American megaservers have been resolved at this time. If you continue to experience difficulties at login, please restart your client. Thank you for your patience!

No More DirectX9 support based on PTS patch notes going forward - PC (DirectX 11 Upgrade) -

NewBlacksmurf
NewBlacksmurf
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I read this in the PTS patch notes and thought it was worth creating a thread

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2656308/#Comment_2656308

DirectX 11 Upgrade
We have upgraded the ESO graphics engine to be DirectX 11 specific.

You will no longer be able to launch or run the DirectX 9 version of the game.
We will no longer support graphics cards and operating systems that are not compatible with DirectX 11.
This will allow us to implement new graphics features only possible with the removal of DirectX 9, as well as improve the overall performance of the engine.
-PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Arkadius
    Arkadius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, this basically means the game won't run on Win XP anymore. I could imagine there are still people playing on XP. They won't be happy...

Edit:
    Wait! After thinking again, the GL renderer should still work with XP.
    Edited by Arkadius on February 3, 2016 10:20PM
    Options
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xiana wrote: »
    Well, this basically means the game won't run on Win XP anymore. I could imagine there are still people playing on XP. They won't be happy...

Edit:

That's the odd thing about this "new" DirectX change: WinXP was off the list since Update 6 already. Not sure why they're making such a big fuzz about the game requiring DX11 now.

Btw, until Update 6, I actually WAS running the game on WinXP, but the OpenGL renderer which I tried then was a mess. Upgraded my system (and with it, automatically from DX9 to DX11), no issues anymore.
    Edited by Moonshadow66 on February 5, 2016 12:12PM
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

Options
  • Spottswoode
    Spottswoode
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use opengl. It's more backwards compatible anyway.
    Proud Player of The Elder Bank Screen Online.
    My khajiit loves his moon sugar.
    Steam Profile
    Libertas est periculosum. Liberum cogitandi est haeresis. Ergo, et ego terroristis.
    Current main PC build:
    i7 3770 (Not overclocking currently.)
    MSI Gaming X GTX 1070
    32gb RAM

Laptop:
    i7-7700HQ
    GTX 1060
    16gb RAM

Secondary build:
    i3 2330
    GTX 660
    8gb RAM
    Options
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what versions of Windows are gonna work with ESO after this update?
    Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU
    Options
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jura23 wrote: »

7 8 10 not sure about vista
    Options
  • infraction2008b16_ESO
    infraction2008b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xiana wrote: »

Edit:

That's the odd thing about this "new" DirectX change: WinXP was off the list since Update 6 already. Not sure why they're making such a big fuzz now about the game requiring DX11 now.

Well as they stated having the game compatible with DX9 limits what they can do with DX11, a lot of DX11 titles only release with DX10/11 support these days due to it being impossible to implement some newer features while still maintaining backward compatibility.

Also the move to using DX11 API only might be a sign there may be the slimmest chance that DX12 support might be on the cards. I mean it's awfully suspicious that they are making radical changes to the game this far down the road like the fact they come out of the blue with the upcoming 64 bit update for instance, although I doubt it will be on any roadmap soon.

Options
  • Lolssi
    Lolssi
    ✭✭✭

Vista had DX10 so I'd guess that unless you have new graphics card it's a no go.
    Personally I'm happy if they can give us bit more eye candy. Just please no DA:Inquisition kind epileptic effects.
    Options
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lolssi wrote: »

Vista had DX10 so I'd guess that unless you have new graphics card it's a no go.
    Personally I'm happy if they can give us bit more eye candy. Just please no DA:Inquisition kind epileptic effects.

Windows Vista will be fine until April of next year when extended support expires on it

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3274

the Platform Update for Windows Vista backported DirectX 11 to Windows Vista

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=209

the Platform Update Supplement for Windows Vista backported most of DirectX11.1 to Windows Vista

So long as you have Vista SP2 + both of those updates installed, ESO will run just fine on Vista at DirectX11 feature granted you have updated drivers from your GPU Vendor that support DirectX11 and your GPU supports it of course.

Any AMD Card 7000 series or up and the R9 200 series works on Windows Vista

Any Nvidia GPU 600 Series or greater supports DirectX 11 and Windows Vista SP2

Hope this helps
    Edited by RinaldoGandolphi on February 5, 2016 2:16PM
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

Options
  • mattymaats
    mattymaats
    ✭✭✭
    I thought more people would be complaining about the Mac 64bit system as now it requires 8gb min memory up from 4gb which could leave a lot more people unable to play than this change.
    Options
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LOL, poor players who can not run direct X 11

bought the game, enjoyed it, then suddenly update, sorry, only direct X 11 from now on!!

Options
  • DeVoDeVo
    DeVoDeVo
    ✭✭
    altemriel wrote: »

bought the game, enjoyed it, then suddenly update, sorry, only direct X 11 from now on!!

Yep, that describes me except my rig runs Direct X 11 just fine on all games except ESO.

ESO + DX11 = frequent screen freezes on my system.

I got around the problem by modifying the config file to start the game with Direct X9….and that will soon not be an option.

I’m hoping the switch to 64bit will help this game run DX11 better because I won’t spend a lot of time trying to make the game work. It will be end game for me.
    Options
  • WalkingLegacy
    WalkingLegacy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DeVoDeVo wrote: »

Yep, that describes me except my rig runs Direct X 11 just fine on all games except ESO.

I got around the problem by modifying the config file to start the game with Direct X9….and that will soon not be an option.

I’m hoping the switch to 64bit will help this game run DX11 better because I won’t spend a lot of time trying to make the game work. It will be end game for me.

If you're referring to DX11 on PTS, last I heard they have not pushed the 64bit client to the PTS yet.
    Options
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run on two firmware modded sli gtx 460 at max voltage/over clock. Runs about the same as a high 500/low 600 card. Glad it will still run - dodged a bullet on that one.

Here is the guide on how to do it if you need to do an upgrade and want to use old parts and or spend as little as possible - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU FRY YOUR CARD(S) -http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=3839831

If done correctly each card can reach 950mhz@1.215v

These cards WILL support dx12, and I have been able to run 63:9 resolution with triple monitor support at lower frames and settings.
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
    Options
  • WalkingLegacy
    WalkingLegacy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cathexis wrote: »
    I run on two firmware modded sli gtx 460 at max voltage/over clock. Runs about the same as a high 500/low 600 card. Glad it will still run - dodged a bullet on that one.

Here is the guide on how to do it if you need to do an upgrade and want to use old parts and or spend as little as possible - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU FRY YOUR CARD(S) -http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=3839831

If done correctly each card can reach 950mhz@1.215v

These cards WILL support dx12, and I have been able to run 63:9 resolution with triple monitor support at lower frames and settings.

There's also a small amount of 460s out there that you can flash to unlock them to 470s. (If done wrong or attempting on a card that isn't really a 470 locked to a 460 on firmware, then you can brick your card doing this)

I also want to remind everyone that the 400 series of cards run really hot and overclocking them will drain their life expectancy if not cooled properly.
    Edited by WalkingLegacy on February 8, 2016 5:04PM
    Options
  • Mix
    Mix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lolssi wrote: »

Windows Vista will be fine until April of next year when extended support expires on it

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3274

the Platform Update for Windows Vista backported DirectX 11 to Windows Vista

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=209

the Platform Update Supplement for Windows Vista backported most of DirectX11.1 to Windows Vista

So long as you have Vista SP2 + both of those updates installed, ESO will run just fine on Vista at DirectX11 feature granted you have updated drivers from your GPU Vendor that support DirectX11 and your GPU supports it of course.

Any AMD Card 7000 series or up and the R9 200 series works on Windows Vista

Any Nvidia GPU 600 Series or greater supports DirectX 11 and Windows Vista SP2

Hope this helps

Thank you so much for this post!

I can't afford a new computer at the moment and still run vista and a poor old Nvidia card. I already have been looking at new cards but was also wondering if I would have to upgrade to Windows 10. If I can just upgrade the card and keep windows vista for a little while longer, then I can upgrade everything else at once. (and by upgrade the card I mean getting the least expensive one that will run ESO lol, I know I need a whole new system but it has to wait until I finish my degree:p)
    Options
  • chinojuan1990rwb17_ESO
    DeVoDeVo wrote: »

and me!
    Options