Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

So how exactly do you level crafting?

Jaemeson_Foster
Jaemeson_Foster
✭✭✭
I've been told repeatedly to ignore mats and just decon to level. I find that hard to believe. What should I really be doing with all my iron ingots?
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your crafting level and skill points are still at that level then use them for daily writs as they often give decon bonus items. If not then sell them and either use the cash to buy decon bonus items (~300-500g each) or simply use as you wish.
  • Jaemeson_Foster
    Jaemeson_Foster
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the response! So use them for writs?
  • Oh_Skrivva
    Oh_Skrivva
    ✭✭✭
    To expedite the process it is best to have a buddy who also is trying to level crafting or just kind enough to take time to help you with leveling your craft up. You get a small amount of xp from crafting a item. If you decon the item you crafted. You do get xp for it. But it is a very low amount. So what you do is, craft a ton of whatever craft it is your leveling. Than give all those crafted items to your buddy so he can decon them and vice versa til your maxed. You get the most xp from deconstructing items that are picked up as loot. But if you deconstruct items that someone has made for you. You also gain good xp. Although it is not as good of xp as random looted items. It is definitely still worth while and is significantly higher xp gains then deconstructing your own crafted stuff. I have 2 eso accounts, so I didn't need to find a buddy to level my crafting up. I just logged in both accounts and traded crafted items between the two and decon. I maxed crafting on all my toons on both accounts (only 1 of my toons I did all research on). So I can do all daily writs and max hirelings on each toon. It's a nice passive way to make mats and gold.
    Costco member

Message brought to you by Cat Queefs Emporium
  • LordSidious
    LordSidious
    ✭✭✭
    All I do is deconstruct a ton of stuff higher level than me. One of my friends is a VR5 and I'm a level 39 so they send me a bunch of gear they don't want and I'll deconstruct it. If you purchase the ability where you have a better chance of extracting materials from something it really helps build your inventory too.
    Admiral of the Salty Swordsmen
    "A man of the seas and I captain I be, 'ole Pinkbeard, a many booty I please."

Xbox One NA - Aldmeri Dominion
    Gamertag: Bogeh
  • Eshelmen
    Eshelmen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure to research as much as possible too, you'll hate yourself if you don't. I know from experience :(
    PC and PS4 EP only player
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I just deconstruct anything intricate on my character and then I sell the rest ( when you reach VR level and your crafting is still around 20 or so your inspiration gains from intricate start to catch up fast and you level the playing field ).

However IF this is your first crafting character I would recommend deconstructing everything that you don't want to sell ( like superiors, ornates ect. ).

Also don't save items with traits you want to research rather have a friend craft you an item you need when you need it...

Pro tip: don't sell ornate Rubedo/ Ruby Ash/ Rubedite items (VR15&16). The mats are usually worth more than the gold from selling if you plan on selling. If you plan on crafting VR16 gear for yourself well you only get 1 mat / decon so you need as many as you can get...

@Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • The_Tip
    The_Tip
    ✭✭✭
    Daily Writs (wish I had them when I needed to level)
    Decon everything you don't need for mats
    whatever you CREATE, sell or TRADE for other items someone else creates. You gain WAY MORE XP for deconstructing OTHERS crafted items, as opposed to your own which gives little to none.