Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I would love to take your advice about how to return to ESO

pwhite222
pwhite222
Soul Shriven
Hello there.

My brief story is that I had to quit playing ESO 1 year-ish ago because life happened. Recently, stuff has calmed down a bit and I've been looking for an MMO to play. I bought and tried out Black Desert Online and... Did not like it, at all. In fact, I disliked it so much that it created within me a desire to play ESO again - A clean, interesting game with good sensibilities.

Plus, I'm playing games on a 55" 4k TV now, so that didn't hurt my cause, wanting to see ESO's world in glorious 4k.

So, I've installed the game now, I've logged in, only to find myself completely lost. I have a V2 character (Imperial, Templar) that I would love to pick back up, but I'm totally lost as to what to do, how to build, and what I should be working on in terms of gear and progression. I think I have some decent gear (screenshot album below), but my build is an unmitigated disaster.

I love PVP and group PVE content, dungeons and raids, and I typically find myself in games very engaged by tanking. I've just about 10k gold I could use to reset all of my skill points and everything, but I am hoping for some guidance as to how to build. If you had a blank pallette V2 Templar, how would you build it?

Also, I am looking for some advice as to how to start doing group PVE content (I believe "veteran dungeons"). I don't know if my current gear is solid enough, and if not, what I'd need to work toward to make it so.

Here is the link to screenshots of the gear and character info: http://imgur.com/a/Nv9WS

Thank you in advance for any responses.
  • Daraugh
    Daraugh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I'm not "the Templar person" as mine is only vr8 and mostly healer/dd, but I have a few general words that can help. Magicka is in a stronger place right now than stamina builds for the Templar and how it sounds you like to play. Hybrid builds really don't work well now, unfortunately. I don't recall now when the Champion Point system was introduced, but here is the wiki link to the basics of how it works. I would suggest you don't change any skills or champion points until after Monday since with the patch, there's going to be changes to both skill lines and CP.

Lots of good builds at Tamriel Foundry, while it's more fun to build your own, gotta start somewhere :)This one sounds relevant to your pve style.

There's some upcoming changes with the Thieves Guild that releases on Monday and there's a bunch of new sets that came with Orsinium, the previous dlc. I really recommend checking out the Orsinium dlc, great stuff there! Cadwell's Silver and Gold are going away, so you can choose which order to do those questlines in for leveling. Daily pledges, especially not vet, are worth doing just to learn the basics of the dungeons. It will level up the Undaunted skill line for you, if you haven't already got that done. Vet ones are harder, well worth it, but get your build in shape and get comfortable. As always, finding a nice guild can make it all that much better.

Welcome back!
    May all beings have happiness
    May they be free from suffering
    May they find the joy that has never known suffering
    May they be free from attachment and hatred
  • DephlaterMouse
    DephlaterMouse
    ✭✭✭
    I recently returned also after about 7 months off. I have several types of characters that I used to PVP with friends in A.D. so I could fill in with range dps, heals, or tanking at various levels.

I've decided that for my comeback I'm just going to start fresh with a new toon in a new alliance and see what happens while I get used to the game again.
    USA to New Zealand transplant.
  • Bowdowntogreatness
    I just started myself after taking a 5 month break life happen with me as well. I honestly started over with a new character so I could have a fresh experience and I'm glad u did.
    What doesn't kill you can only make you stronger
  • llSRRll
    llSRRll
    ✭✭✭
    I dont advise starting over bc at some point ( I think its two DLC's from now) all people that have VR16 characters get a 40 champion point bonus. Who ever knows the specifics please elaborate more for these guys.
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all welcome back,

A hell of a lot of changes have happened since you left and the meta of the game changed ALOT....

Magicka builds suffered alot and in particular the poor old DK got the bejesus nerfed outa him.... RIP,

Having said that with the Thieves guild coming out tomorrow i would keep an eye on Deltia's Gaming for PVE builds and Sypher, Fengrush and King Richard for PVP builds...

Your Gear you linked is not ideal,
    The ashen grip is still ok but the other mixture of pick me up gear is not going to put you in good standing in cyrodiil or even the veteran dungeons...

The meta of the game changed not necessarily for the good of the game and hopefully with the thieves guild release tomorrow some of the damage done will be reversed....

Updates to a lot of templar and DK skills so lets see what tomorrow brings.
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Johngo0036 wrote: »
    i would keep an eye on Deltia's Gaming for PVE builds and Sypher, Fengrush and King Richard for PVP builds...

Those are 3 of my 4 favourate ESO players ( Lefty Lucy being the 4th & in no particular order I love all of them! )

Some of the names you mentioned already have builds out for the new build actually I checked yesterday.

OP - All magicka , Champion points ( Thaumaturge is your friend for damage ) , puncturing sweep is your main attack, breath of life is your main heal, Julianos x5 is a good set, so is Mara's Gift tbh.

The 40 champion points for VR16 is really not that much you can make 40 CP relatively quickly yourself so if you feel you want to reroll to get back into things do so.

Might I suggest a Sorc or DK as with this new update both those classes will be ideal (Please note the most fun class is probably the NB, especially if you like rogues/ assassins...)

If you want to quest you can hit VR16 in about a month ( so you can easily reach VR16 before Dark Brotherhood releases ), if you grind you can reach it in a week or less ( more if you take your time and do delves, dungeons, dolmens ect. in between ).

Psyjiic Ambrosia is your friend when you want to level ( you gain +50% exp for 30mins when using it ).

If you max your provisioning to 50 and you put 3 points into connoisseur you can increase that time to 50mins I believe.

Given how easy it is to hit 50 in provisioning ( costs less than 5k and takes less than 20minutes ) I would recommend this.

A nice idea is also to perhaps try a different alliance? Maybe EP or DC? Since you already have a AD char...

Up to you

Remember that racials are important when creating a char:

Guidelines:
    Sorcerer:
    Altmer
    Breton

NB:
    Khajiit
    Redguard
    Woodelf

DK:
    Dunmer
    Imperial
    Orc

Templar:
    Altmer
    Breton
    Nord
    Imperial
    Orc
    Argonian
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • phillyboy7897
    phillyboy7897
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your race will benefit the most from being stamina unfortunately stamina templars are in a rough spot as far as PvP and its getting worse next patch (sorry bro). Stamina would of course be the way to go for PvE tanking

Should you choose to go the magicka route I have a build video of a PvP heavy armor tank for you, but this one is going to help you either way. You can get probably a level an hour if you do what I am showing in this video and get around 40k cash/hr for your new gear which it sounds like needs replacing, also hella CPs of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyTLbIvZHs4
  • phillyboy7897
    phillyboy7897
    ✭✭✭✭
    As far as the veteran dungeons do some farming and selling on guild traders like I am showing in this video first, then get some crafted gear your level, then you can start doing those without it being to frustrating.

The whole process of farming and crafting gear will only take probably 4-5 hours, though it may be best to just power through to v16 then worry about your gear, this will save you time and money in the long run
  • phillyboy7897
    phillyboy7897
    ✭✭✭✭
    to get to the mobs from the video just head from the DC sewer base (or where AD and EP port in closest to DC base) toward the center, you will pass through the rooms on the video