Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Creating ESO: Maw of Lorkhaj"

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
This is the official discussion thread for the blog article Creating ESO: Maw of Lorkhaj. We take you behind-the-scenes in the creation of ESO's fourth 12-player Trial, Maw of Lorkhaj, in our latest Creating ESO!
Edited by ZOS_JessicaFolsom on March 2, 2016 6:35PM
Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • Dunkmeister
    Dunkmeister
    ✭✭✭
    Cant wait to run it.

Do the same sets drop on vet and normal mode?
    Dunkmeister - DK Firemage AD NA Server
    PVE Achievement Collector
  • Legoless
    Legoless
    ✭✭✭✭
    First and foremost, we realize that all the hard work that goes into creating a Trial is wasted if only a small portion of the community is able to experience it.
    So happy to see this mentality extended to trials. I'm hoping it will be retroactively applied to Craglorn eventually so more people can finally conclude the Celestial storyline.
  • PrimeSeptim
    PrimeSeptim
    ✭✭✭
    Nice. If only it were more accessible to casual players... Or, you know just those inexperienced. I've yet to enter any trial. But, at the same time it's been a long, long time since I've seen anyone asking for people in zone, so there's really been zero opportunity and even then most people expect you to have "experience" or to link an achievement. How about an option for trials in the group finder? ? ?
    Edited by PrimeSeptim on March 2, 2016 9:06PM
  • Contraptions
    Contraptions
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The trial looks great aesthetically, and kudos to the art and design team for their work. However, what looks nice on paper doesn't translate well into gameplay. My biggest concern is the red clay ground of the trial blending in with the red colour of enemy AOEs. In frenetic fights I often have to look twice to discern where is safe and where is not. It's precious time that I don't have. The time of day matters too, at night the trial is dark so red AOEs contrast much better.

However, the dro-Mathra style looks hideous. The blue striped look is EXTREMELY UGLY. If the dro-Mathra skin looks like that, well, no reason to do MOL I guess.

The normal mode is claimed to be as easy as normal MA, but with the one hit mechanics and the first boss being a DPS race, I highly doubt that. But we will see when it goes live. No soul limit is also nice.

"Content that is hard just to be hard or has unforgiving chance elements doesn't constitute fun."

Where was this design principle when vMA was being created? Oh well.

"We'd be remiss not to mention the loot—what's a dungeon or Trial without cool loot? The toughest encounters should have some of the best, most recognizable rewards, and Maw of Lorkhaj spoils are no exception. The dro-m'Athra-themed item sets that come from this Trial are not only stunning, but they also provide better group-based PVE bonuses."

Of course you forgot to mention that it's RNG, with added BOP and PVE only bonuses. That is a wrong move IMO. Loot should be useful no matter where it is. "5% less damage from Boss Monsters" as a set bonus makes most MOL sets functionally useless for PVP and even normal questing.

Overall rather lackluster, not really excited for the new update.
    Patroller and Editor at UESP
  • AzuraKin
    AzuraKin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legoless wrote: »
    First and foremost, we realize that all the hard work that goes into creating a Trial is wasted if only a small portion of the community is able to experience it.
    So happy to see this mentality extended to trials. I'm hoping it will be retroactively applied to Craglorn eventually so more people can finally conclude the Celestial storyline.

lol craglorn isn't hard, I was soloing content in craglorn before cp, and even after cp with just the 70 cp they gave us. and I am only an average, at best slightly above average player.
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 battlemage (sorcerer)
    v160 warrior (DragonKnight)
    v160 assassin (nightblade)
    v160 swordsman (sorcerer)
  • AzuraKin
    AzuraKin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. If only it were more accessible to casual players... Or, you know just those inexperienced. I've yet to enter any trial. But, at the same time it's been a long, long time since I've seen anyone asking for people in zone, so there's really been zero opportunity and even then most people expect you to have "experience" or to link an achievement. How about an option for trials in the group finder? ? ?

join a pve guild and get in on their training runs. most guilds like scream and panic, nightfighters, and forget name to several other big trial guilds generally have set days for their runs, certain days are for training teaching people the trials, and other nights are for their more experienced players to get on leaderboards.
    v160 battlemage (sorcerer)
    v160 warrior (DragonKnight)
    v160 assassin (nightblade)
    v160 swordsman (sorcerer)
  • Dagonthir
    Dagonthir
    ✭✭✭
    I'm always a little disappointed because these "Creating ESO" videos because I'm expecting more of a "Making of" instead of a fly-through since that was the title kind of implies. It's neat to see the upcoming content and all, but watching a making of video with some explanation of the thought process and maybe some art work would be really cool.
  • AdamBourke
    AdamBourke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AzuraKin wrote: »
    Legoless wrote: »

lol craglorn isn't hard, I was soloing content in craglorn before cp, and even after cp with just the 70 cp they gave us. and I am only an average, at best slightly above average player.

Three vr16 characters implies that you are in fact, not an average player.

On PS4, most players have not finished the main quest. The numbers are likely to be similar on Xbox, although on the PC I expect more people have finished it - but there will still be a lot of people who haven't.

You MAY be average for people on the forums, who tend to be the people most invested in the game. But Zenimax needs to take all players into account.
    PS4 - EU

Please put the Eyevea/EarthForge wayshrines back on the map?