The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

2x GTX 980 SLI....40 fps?!?!

Sparky617
Sparky617
✭✭✭
I've been running a single GTX 980 in 5760x1080 across three 27" monitors at 40-50 fps on High texture, High subSampling, off,off for shadow and water for over a year now. I just bought a 2nd GTX 980, hooked up SLI, configured it all, set it all to ultra max everything and i'm getting 40-50 fps.... What am I missing? I thought that 2 of these cards would be running butter smooth at 60+fps
  • Sparky617
    Sparky617
    ✭✭✭
    hmm... That was in Wrothgar, Daggerfall, and Shornhelm..... maybe it's player traffic? Oh, wait... I have 180Mbt internet connection.....
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings!

Welcome to the world of ESO where Multi-GPU simply has poor scaling. :)

I have participated in AMD Beta driver feedback progame for a few years and i always test their beta driver releases and provide feedback.I tried giving feedback and testing to AMD bout getting a Crossfire profile for ESO finally i was nicely told a little over a year ago they were not going to invest time to create a CrossfireX profile for ESO because the game engine simply scales poorly for it. This is pretty much the 1st AAA game title ever to not receive an offical CrossfireX profile from AMD.

Nvidia came to the same conclusion and made a standard AFR profile and then simply gave up on it citing the game engine is far too CPU bound to get proper SLI scaling, the same conclusion AMD came to.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/749866/sli/elder-scrolls-online-sli-profile-released-feedback-requested/2/

you can maybe get 35-50% scaling by using Optimize1x1 profile for AMD and AFR 2 for Nvidia, but don't expect much. This game engine won't let you get 99% usage across both GPU's and get a 90-100% FPS increase simply isn;t going to happen. I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Those 980's will serve you well for other games though, great cards!
    Edited by RinaldoGandolphi on February 26, 2016 12:47PM
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• Sparky617
    Sparky617
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the info.... That makes me sad....
  • Euphoria666
    Any chance the new 64bit client will somehow improve the situation or its hopeless?
    Im also using 980Ti SLI and the scaling is so poor, 50-60% usage only most of the time.
    Edited by Euphoria666 on February 27, 2016 10:07PM
  • JRockwater
    Have you verified that the 2nd card is actually active? I made the mistake of buying a second card only to discover that the mainboard chipset didn't support SLI. The card was active in the nvidia control panel, but was just assigned as an additional geometry/compute device rather than actually sharing the load with the primary GPU.

I fixed the issue by putting the second card in my girlfriend's rig. :neutral:

Chances are you know what you're doing, though.
  • LaughingJack
    LaughingJack
    ✭✭
    JRockwater wrote: »
    Have you verified that the 2nd card is actually active? ..... Chances are you know what you're doing, though.

This^. and this: i just built a new box for Squad and now i can plsy ESO all-epic, all-on, at 60(v-sync)Hz and it barely loads the vidcard to 50% - whereas before on the old box it was 40-90fps with all-medium, all-off(except grass). new hardware will make a massive difference (for ref. the new box is a DDR4 based with r9 fury-X

Seeker of Shiny Objects
    Vapour Vehiculo De Dolor
    I7-920(2.6GHz), Win7-64, 8GB, HD4870-512, 40-90fps.
  • Sparky617
    Sparky617
    ✭✭✭
    Have you verified that the 2nd card is actually active? I made the mistake of buying a second card only to discover that the mainboard chipset didn't support SLI. The card was active in the nvidia control panel, but was just assigned as an additional geometry/compute device rather than actually sharing the load with the primary GPU.

oh yes, it's engaged. I was running 2 GTX 560 Ti before i bought my first 980. However, as an update... FPS is only low in the populated cities, or Wrothgar...Cyrodiil is, well, Cyrodiil.... But when I'm out questing most zones are 70-99 fps with everything maxed.
  • Euphoria666
    Sparky617 wrote: »

oh yes, it's engaged. I was running 2 GTX 560 Ti before i bought my first 980. However, as an update... FPS is only low in the populated cities, or Wrothgar...Cyrodiil is, well, Cyrodiil.... But when I'm out questing most zones are 70-99 fps with everything maxed.

You oc your 980's? And im basiclly gettiing the same fps outdoors, espcially in populated cities the fps is bad.
    The only difference im running eso/games at 4K resolution and i oc my gpus with the cpu.
    Edited by Euphoria666 on February 29, 2016 3:52PM