The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Sap Tank PvP build help needed

Tzadik
Tzadik
Hello people.

I have vet11 Dunmer magicka nigtblade which I'm playing as a sap tank. But I would need some help from experienced players - if somebody plays a sap tank :) My main problem is that I don't do enough dmg in PvP and that I can't stay alive long time on my own (or if focused) which pretty much destroys the whole point of a sap tank build.

So, here is my build:
1 bar (s&b) : swallow soul, mass hysteria, sap essence, defensive stance, siphoning attacks - ult: devouring batstorm
2 bar (resto if alone or small scale, dual wield if zerging): swallow soul (I use it on both bars for healing buff), concealed weapon, proxy/refreshing path/healing ward, impale/blessing of restoration, dark cloak, ulti: replenishing barrier/shooting star

I run 2x heavy and 5x light. 5x Kagrenac's Hope and 3/4x Magnus. I'm thinking of switching to Clever Alchemist once patch comes out (which kinda made me sad for not picking an Argonian lol). Right now my gear is vet9 purple.

I have around 300 CP. I also have Alchemy passive Medicinal Use which I find to be really good for this build.

With all this I don't even have 2k spell power :( Aslo, I don't really know what to do in 1v1 :neutral:

Anyhow, I saw few sap tank builds for pve, but I haven't seen anything for pvp. I would appreciate any help :)
Ebonheart Pact - PC EU
Hasidic Chant - magicka templar
Na Nach - magicka nightblade sap tank
  • jpeltor
    jpeltor
    ✭✭
    Tzadik wrote: »
    Hello people.

I have vet11 Dunmer magicka nigtblade which I'm playing as a sap tank. But I would need some help from experienced players - if somebody plays a sap tank :) My main problem is that I don't do enough dmg in PvP and that I can't stay alive long time on my own (or if focused) which pretty much destroys the whole point of a sap tank build.

So, here is my build:
    1 bar (s&b) : swallow soul, mass hysteria, sap essence, defensive stance, siphoning attacks - ult: devouring batstorm
    2 bar (resto if alone or small scale, dual wield if zerging): swallow soul (I use it on both bars for healing buff), concealed weapon, proxy/refreshing path/healing ward, impale/blessing of restoration, dark cloak, ulti: replenishing barrier/shooting star

I run 2x heavy and 5x light. 5x Kagrenac's Hope and 3/4x Magnus. I'm thinking of switching to Clever Alchemist once patch comes out (which kinda made me sad for not picking an Argonian lol). Right now my gear is vet9 purple.

I have around 300 CP. I also have Alchemy passive Medicinal Use which I find to be really good for this build.

With all this I don't even have 2k spell power :( Aslo, I don't really know what to do in 1v1 :neutral:

Anyhow, I saw few sap tank builds for pve, but I haven't seen anything for pvp. I would appreciate any help :)

You'll have a tough time in a 1v1 with <2k spell damage. My PvP sap tank had 2.3k spell damage unbuffed and I had trouble killing people 1v1.

Once you hit v16 you could go 5 kags, 3 arch-mage, 1 molag kena for added spell damage. Also, do you have a jewelry set? And does your jewelry have spell damage enchants?
    PS4 NA - Solo/Duo PvP
    V16 Wood Elf Nightblade AD, Azura
    V16 High Elf NightBlade AD, Azura
    V16 Kahjiit Templar AD, Azura
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sap tank is ok for pve but don't try it in pvp the 3-4 ppl that do use it can pull it off in a big group with other support and healing. You will get totally wrecked also when I do see it I stay at range and burst them down. Sap tank did used to be viable but not anymore. The damage and healing nerf in 1.6 severely impacted that skill and play style. For those few ppl to pull it off the damage is less than three k per cast so to kill someone with that little damage is unlikely you could do equal damage doing funnel health... likely more and better healing. Now is sap essence is a great ability to cast in conjuction with other abilities yes it is. Works really well on a keep flag in lag or in a keep postern... On a scroll, resource, etc...
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DHale wrote: »
    Sap tank is ok for pve but don't try it in pvp the 3-4 ppl that do use it can pull it off in a big group with other support and healing. You will get totally wrecked also when I do see it I stay at range and burst them down. Sap tank did used to be viable but not anymore. The damage and healing nerf in 1.6 severely impacted that skill and play style. For those few ppl to pull it off the damage is less than three k per cast so to kill someone with that little damage is unlikely you could do equal damage doing funnel health... likely more and better healing. Now is sap essence is a great ability to cast in conjuction with other abilities yes it is. Works really well on a keep flag in lag or in a keep postern... On a scroll, resource, etc...

Not true. I run sap tank and am very successful in pvp. Now if your eluding to the fact that this build doesn't have burst you are correct. This build is more about running your opponent out of resources and healing through the damage. This build is extremely effective in group pvp play or 1vx vice 1v1.
    Hello people.

So, here is my build:

Sap tank is not an easy role to play but if you can master it, it is very fun and extremely effective in both pvp and pve. Your on the right track. Go 5 piece krag and 4 piece Magnus with dual wield swords. The ultimate goal is to get the undaunted scourger malubeth monster helm set for the extra healing. Get your undaunted mettle up. Get willpower rings and necklace. If you use 4 piece Magnus you can get away with replacing magicka recovery with spell damage on all jewelry pieces. Get the Orzegna (SP?) food (5k Max health and 400+ magicka regen). Use atronach mundus stone. Put all cp points in quick recovery, thermaturge, bless, magicka reduction, magicka recovery, and split evenly between hardy, elemental resistance, and crit resistance. if I use 4 piece Magnus with krag I'm sitting at 2504 magicka recovery and 2660 ubuffed spell damage. But since you will be spamming sap essence you will always have the 20% damage increase running pushing you abive 3k+. Use swallow soul for 8% more healing and for situations at range like shield stacking mine laying sorcs. Use sap essence against DKs since it can't be reflected. Spam sap essence and refreshing paths in large groups during group pvp play. Put refreshing path, swallow soul, sap essence on bar 1 because they will benefit most from increased spell power for heals.go resto on bar 2. You can go sword and board but I've noticed that as a magicka based build I don't have the stamina to sustain blocking on sword and board for large group pvp and I lose a lot of damage vice dual wield. And of course to be most effective you need gold vr 16 gear.

Feel free to pm me with questions.
    Edited by LegacyDM on February 20, 2016 8:36PM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • Tzadik
    Tzadik
    Thank you very much for the insights!

I will message you with question :)
    Ebonheart Pact - PC EU
  • Scamandros
    Scamandros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DHale wrote: »

Not true. I run sap tank and am very successful in pvp. Now if your eluding to the fact that this build doesn't have burst you are correct. This build is more about running your opponent out of resources and healing through the damage. This build is extremely effective in group pvp play or 1vx vice 1v1.
    Hello people.

So, here is my build:

Sap tank is not an easy role to play but if you can master it, it is very fun and extremely effective in both pvp and pve. Your on the right track. Go 5 piece krag and 4 piece Magnus with dual wield swords. The ultimate goal is to get the undaunted scourger malubeth monster helm set for the extra healing. Get your undaunted mettle up. Get willpower rings and necklace. If you use 4 piece Magnus you can get away with replacing magicka recovery with spell damage on all jewelry pieces. Get the Orzegna (SP?) food (5k Max health and 400+ magicka regen). Use atronach mundus stone. Put all cp points in quick recovery, thermaturge, bless, magicka reduction, magicka recovery, and split evenly between hardy, elemental resistance, and crit resistance. if I use 4 piece Magnus with krag I'm sitting at 2504 magicka recovery and 2660 ubuffed spell damage. But since you will be spamming sap essence you will always have the 20% damage increase running pushing you abive 3k+. Use swallow soul for 8% more healing and for situations at range like shield stacking mine laying sorcs. Use sap essence against DKs since it can't be reflected. Spam sap essence and refreshing paths in large groups during group pvp play. Put refreshing path, swallow soul, sap essence on bar 1 because they will benefit most from increased spell power for heals.go resto on bar 2. You can go sword and board but I've noticed that as a magicka based build I don't have the stamina to sustain blocking on sword and board for large group pvp and I lose a lot of damage vice dual wield. And of course to be most effective you need gold vr 16 gear.

Feel free to pm me with questions.

All good advice, can confirm malubeth is great for sap tank. Had a couple funny moments where I got knocked down out of stamina but just my HoTs and the hp leech beams kept me alive through it all.

Also you can cast refreshing path on either bar, when you swap to dual wield/resto the damage and healing ticks will update to the new spell damage.

Also I'm sure you all know already, but I will mention impen is love, impen is life. No more random 10k crits to ruin your fight
    Aeryj
    Fantasia
    Blades of Vengeance

Mighty Eagle by serjustin19 for your viewing convenience.
    Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle.
    I fell out of my nest

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I screech I screech
    but no one hears me

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I started to wonder off
    I want to come back but lost my way.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I came face to face
    Of Mighty Lion

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I came to fall in love with Mighty Lion
    Who's claws is sharp and just

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Then suddenly
    Mighty Dragon Came

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Dragon roared aloud
    Who's mighty paws make earthquake
    that quivers underneath our feet

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Soon battle rages
    Between the Mighty Lion and Mighty Dragon

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    My heart grows heavy
    For who do I belong in Scourge PS4 EU

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I continue to battle.
    But Battle I must do within myself

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I screech, I screech
    Long and hard. I made a fuss

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Then suddenly
    As if I was dreaming

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I heard a screech
    But suddenly, I attack Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle had to defend

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I know I was fighting for Mighty Lion
    So I fought back.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I attack I attack
    But to no avail

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    The Mighty claws who's mighty claws
    Felt unnatural to me and very clumsy to me

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Why I have chosen to not stay with you
    I do not know. I am complicated at that.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I have destroyed Mighty Eagle
    My own kin in Scourge PS4 EU

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I crawled into a ball
    Weep to no avail

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Lost in my whirling thoughts
    My heart and mind is clouded

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I have served Mighty Lion over a year
    I thought Mighty Lion is were I belong anew

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I finally contacted
    Mighty Eagle

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle says they love me
    In reality I love them also.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I continued to clash
    At Mighty Eagle however

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    But clashing with Mighty Eagle
    Just not feel right

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I have made a wrong choice I now believe
    Terrible and unjust of what I did

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    For am I not a monster
    For attacking a faction who loves me instead

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I was wrong
    Mighty Eagle was right

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Come. Please take me back Mighty Eagle
    For I believe I now know

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Were I truly belong
    For indeed I thought

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    That Mighty Lion
    Is were I belong.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    O how I was so wrong Mighty Eagle
    I was gravely wrong and such a fool I was.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    You have met
    Princess Justine

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Princess Justine who attacked
    Mighty Eagle

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I know this was wrong
    And so to does Princess Justine

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    With our clashing together
    I now know were I truly belong in Scourge PS4 EU I believe.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Have you all not heard
    The famous saying. That is very wise and so very true?

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Let me repeat the famous saying
    that is very wise and so true

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    It is
    My Enemy, Enemy's, Enemy's
    Is my friend

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I come to thee Mighty Eagle
    And so to Princess Justine.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Who used to serve Mighty Lion
    But Now serve Mighty Eagle
    For the very first time in her career.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Princess Justine and are one in the same
    Were I go. She will go to. For she believes it is right choice

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    We are all yours
    O Mighty Eagle

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    No one else but you
    I feel peaceful. Unafraid

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I belong to you O mighty Eagle
    I am so relieved to hear myself to say that

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Princess Justine and I

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Now flies and fights alongside with Mighty Eagle
    Who's Mighty talons stand for sacred Freedom

Written by Serjustin19
    Written on this day
    September 27. The day when My troubled mind is not clouded no longer.
    In the year of my troubles end
  • Gamerscape2007
    Gamerscape2007
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Important thing about Being a Sap tank (Imo.) Is 1. Healing received. Get enough Healing received to counter both the Cyrodil debuff and the defile debuff. Remember, while your healing is nerfed, you'd still have more healing than other players.

2. Boost Magicka/Spell Damage. Not just because you can burst your opponent, but since healing is increased with spell damage as well, it's a damn good idea to boost it. That also means that dualwielding can be a more offensive option to tank.

3. Damage mitigation. The more damage mitigation you have, the more likely your heals (And more importantly, Hot.) can catch up the damage you're getting

So yeah, all three can really make you a powerful tank if you wanted to. I can share my build if you want.
    Edited by Gamerscape2007 on February 24, 2016 2:55AM
  • Tzadik
    Tzadik
    Thx.
    I can share my build if you want.
    I would really appreciate that.

Also what are your (and others) thoughts on being vampire. Imho vampire is quite good for sap tank (cause of bonus regeneration, cool ulti, sneak stuff and dmg reduction) and i don't see too much downfalls in pvp except in IC where enemies are likely to use fighters guilds abilities.

Also, what are your thoughts on Clever Alchemist set? Would that replace Krag?

Edited by Tzadik on February 24, 2016 3:12AM
    Ebonheart Pact - PC EU
  • Gamerscape2007
    Gamerscape2007
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Tzadik Right, So I'm an Argonian Nightblade. Argonian for their healing received passive. The Equipment I'm planning on using next patch is...

5p Clever alch. (Magicka Enchant.)
    2p Heavy Mark of the Pariah. (Magicka Enchant.)

Debating whenever or not to use Impent on all of them vs Reinforced. Anyway...

3p Jewelry Mark of Pariah. (Spell Damage Enchant.)

Torug's pact Dual Wield swords. And Maelstorm Restro. All having the defending trait.

Skills in order:
    Dual Wield: 1. Swallow Soul/2. Cripple/ 3. Sap Essense./4. Magicka Det or Lotus fan/5. Refreshing Darkness. U Soul Teather.
    Restro: 1. Dark cloak/2. Rapid Regen./ 3.Siphoning Attack./ 4. Double Take./ Quick Siphon or Blessing of protection.

http://deltiasgaming.com/champion/?b=640032000000000000000011004300006400000000000000001e35000000000000002f1e

Using all 501 Champion Points.

And for Mondus Stone, Ritual.

And yes, I am a vampire.
    Edited by Gamerscape2007 on February 24, 2016 5:07AM
  • jimijac0me
    jimijac0me
    ✭✭✭
    I play a siphon/funnel based build in PVP and it's very effective... A couple of things to remember regarding your lower spell damage - you're not VR16 yet or using Gold VR16 weapons/gear so your spell damage will be a bit low compared to a lot of numbers posted around the place until then.

I think you will struggle until that point to do much as much burst damage.

For a long time I had a very hard time doing decent damage with this play style but once I reached the higher spell power and a good burst rotation while keeping Minor/Major Ward/Resolve up for mitigation, my build finally came together and is very well rounded.

Edit: I'm a Vamp as well.
    Edited by jimijac0me on February 24, 2016 5:59AM
    Guild Leader Rats of Tobruk (RoT) DC PVP Guild
    Jacome Enakis (DC NB)
    Jacome Dibella (DC Sorc)
    Tealc Enakis (DC DK)
    Jacome Lightbringer (DC Templar)
    Jacome Gro-Longenfirm (DC Sorc)
    Baron Humbert Von Gikken (DC Warden)
  • Torbschka
    Torbschka
    ✭✭✭✭
    keep in mind, key from a sap tank was always to recover your stam / magicka with siphoning attacks. U can do this by path or (right now the btter option) through caltrops.

Anyway, next patch this playstyle gets again a huge nerf with the change to siphoning attacks, it will not longer procc on dots (so no caltrops, path etc.)

I wouldnt recommend dual swords on THIS patch, cuz u can have nearly endless stamina and perma blocking while casting sap essence and because of SA gains through caltrops / path. Next patch, we know less then Jon Snow how this playstyle will work, maybe there are a more offensive builds with dual wield which are more effective (not saying it is bad now, I just dont think it is very good, key for a sap tank was always to perma block and manage stamina through SA).

Some exmaple videos:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4BZuvPMIFlk (current patch)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=BejB-bzkJ9w ["classic" sap tank)
    Edited by Torbschka on February 24, 2016 9:56AM
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The Important thing about Being a Sap tank (Imo.) Is 1. Healing received. Get enough Healing received to counter both the Cyrodil debuff and the defile debuff. Remember, while your healing is nerfed, you'd still have more healing than other players.

2. Boost Magicka/Spell Damage. Not just because you can burst your opponent, but since healing is increased with spell damage as well, it's a damn good idea to boost it. That also means that dualwielding can be a more offensive option to tank.

3. Damage mitigation. The more damage mitigation you have, the more likely your heals (And more importantly, Hot.) can catch up the damage you're getting

So yeah, all three can really make you a powerful tank if you wanted to. I can share my build if you want.

You missed the 4th rule: Block everything (sap essence woks in permablocking)
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • mchermie
    mchermie
    ✭✭✭✭
    You wont be able to 1v1 skilled players with a sap-tank-build this patch, but it can work really well in a group or while zergsurfing.
    Try to get an as high as possible magicka-pool while also having quite a bit of stam so you can continue blocking. I would recommend invisbats over devouring as you will be able to get quite a bit of stam back + get drained a lot less from enemy attacks (if youre bosmer/khajit your damage will also increase by 10% when invisible)
    I always have purge on my offbar to remove mark which will keep me visible while using invisbats
    For solo/smallman I would recomend Malabeth, while in a group of 8+ Bloodspawn would be better so you can bomb with your group more often
    Retired
    NA DC
    K-Hole
    McHermie NB - AR 42
    McHermes DK - AR 18
    Lord Typh Templar - AR 11