Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Abnur Tharn is my favourite *contains spoilers*

SedoUmbra
SedoUmbra
✭✭✭
I am making this post because all of my friends hate him, so it seems to be an unpopular view and I'd like to explain my view.. I think they hate him because he is demonised because he sided with Mannimarco after he betrayed the rest of the 5 companions. But he is my favourite of them all. I hate the Prophet because
he tells you AFTER he gets you to do all this crap for him that he is Varen Aquilarius. He tells you we need to save Sai and get Chim-El-Adabl and doesn't even tell you his real name
I don't like Lyris because she is... weird. She is a traumatized, little giant. Hating herself for things that aren't her fault she channels all other emotions into anger and releases it with her axe. Abnur is quick witted and chilled. Sai is cool but I feel like I met him too late in the story for me to give a s*** about him.
  • Auricle
    Auricle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you on this one. Abnur is kind of an ***, but at least's he's funny. Villains are always more interesting anyway.
  • SedoUmbra
    SedoUmbra
    ✭✭✭
    Auricle wrote: »
    I'm with you on this one. Abnur is kind of an ***, but at least's he's funny. Villains are always more interesting anyway.

ikr, I am always rooting for the bad guys. Why can't I side with Molag Bal and get awesome Necromancy Powers?
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Abnur's an interesting character. I don't like him as a person, but he is entertaining to listen to. Lyris IMO seems to lose too much of her character once they start the romantic sub-plot with her. :\
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • SedoUmbra
    SedoUmbra
    ✭✭✭
    Abnur's an interesting character. I don't like him as a person, but he is entertaining to listen to. Lyris IMO seems to lose too much of her character once they start the romantic sub-plot with her. :\

Yeah, kind of wish they had left that out.
  • Nichordius
    Nichordius
    ✭✭
    The higher ranking necromancers say he's a joke, and I'm not impressed by anything else to really like him. I like hearing what he has to say, because he was deep in the Order of the Black Worm.
  • Nichordius
    Nichordius
    ✭✭
    I guess I should explain. He may say witty, sophisticated things constantly, but I've known so many people to do that, only to fail without the dignity to accept the turn of an argument. If the necromancers are saying he's a joke, I imagined we just haven't seen him pressured.
  • Nichordius
    Nichordius
    ✭✭
    It actually says more about how you want to see yourself, and why.
  • SedoUmbra
    SedoUmbra
    ✭✭✭
    Nichordius wrote: »

Umm.. no..?
    I guess I should explain. He may say witty, sophisticated things constantly, but I've known so many people to do that, only to fail without the dignity to accept the turn of an argument. If the necromancers are saying he's a joke, I imagined we just haven't seen him pressured.

He doesn't say sophisticated things, at least I don't think he does. But as you said, he says witty things constantly. The other Companions seriously lack a sense of humour. And he usually comes of with one liners or talks to you, so there is seldom an argument to have turn that he can't accept. And what other Necromancer's say he's a joke? Have a missed a large part of the story?

• Nichordius
    Nichordius
    ✭✭
    SedoUmbra wrote: »

Umm.. no..?

He doesn't say sophisticated things, at least I don't think he does. But as you said, he says witty things constantly. The other Companions seriously lack a sense of humour. And he usually comes of with one liners or talks to you, so there is seldom an argument to have turn that he can't accept. And what other Necromancer's say he's a joke? Have a missed a large part of the story?

I'm going to ignore the first part, because even if I did mean it rhetorically, it could work in another way.

When I say sophisticated, I mean the style of speaking is what you would expect from a politician of the imperial throne, or a religious author (or an altmer). And yeah, you did miss something. Two mobs in Coldharbour are laughing about what a joke he is, and that Mannimarco is just going to get rid of him. Which is why I say I'm not impressed like you are. ... Anyone can do what we have seen ... There is evidence to believe what we don't see is incompetent.
    Edited by Nichordius on August 29, 2015 2:19AM
  • Scorpio_Alik'ri
    Abnur Tharn is truly a genius and is very witty with his insults and use of language in general.
  • Rodvic
    Rodvic
    ✭✭✭
    Lyris is my favorite. I can't stand Tharn personally.
  • Lyrebon
    Lyrebon
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's necroing but I'm gushing over Abnur. Yeah he's immoral, manipulative and cold but that's only because he's a realist. He doesn't let emotion affect his judgements and he's ruthless because he's efficient, and efficient because he's ruthless. In an era of war and backstabbing (quite literally), Tharn is exactly the type of person you want protecting your Empire: unquestionably loyal, cunning and decisive.

Also, he insults people in the best ways.
  • Mason22
    Mason22
    ✭✭✭
    I like Tharn because he doesn't hold back with what he has to say.
  • Dread_Guy
    Dread_Guy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like his snarky attitude. It speaks to cynic personality
    "My name is Julius Decimus Heraclius, Guildmaster of the Scions of the Sun, Brigadier of the Covenant Army, loyal servant to the High King Emeric. Brother to a betrayed legion, son to a fallen empire. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." ---Julius Decimus Heraclius (Imperial Templar)
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I love Abnur.He's such a twisted guy.lol
    The one I cant take is Uncle Sheo.
    He drives me nutz!