Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Every name imaginable already taken?

• annarr1117nub18_ESO
    I always use lore friendly character type names in every TES game that I play, names such as Alar the Savage.
  • VamppireGhost
    VamppireGhost
    ✭✭
    I know this post is as Old as time but i have really been wanting the name "Indoril Nerevar" and would pay real money if who ever has that name to allow me to use it for one of my character names....right now I'm stuck with "Indoil Nerevar" and just hate it. So my question to my rant is there a way to find who has these names and communicating with them to see if they would be willing to sell their name...I"m down to pay as long as its not outrageous.
    "What a fool you are. I'm a god. How can you kill a god? What a grand and intoxicating innocence. How could you be so naive? There is no escape. No Recall or Intervention can work in this place. Come. Lay down your weapons. It is not too late for my mercy."
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vampire ghost NECROMANCER of sorts !

Why not just name it Indoril Nerefar?

400px-necro2-jpg.97066
    edited to add the pic
    Edited by Duiwel on February 19, 2016 2:37PM
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this post is as Old as time but i have really been wanting the name "Indoril Nerevar" and would pay real money if who ever has that name to allow me to use it for one of my character names....right now I'm stuck with "Indoil Nerevar" and just hate it. So my question to my rant is there a way to find who has these names and communicating with them to see if they would be willing to sell their name...I"m down to pay as long as its not outrageous.

They ban lore friendly names you know ;)
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use a name generator, and choose a name with both a first and last, maybe even add a middle name

http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/namegenerator

http://fantasynamegenerators.com/imperial_names.php
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Kaktus
    Kaktus
    ✭✭✭
    Not lore friendly, but I use Polish animal names, they're virtually never taken. I've got Lyska (fox), Szakal (jackal), Tygrys (tiger) and Zmiya (viper).

Though as an Xbox one player, I've been wondering if character names ever actually show up. I think I only ever see gamertags
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaktus wrote: »
    Though as an Xbox one player, I've been wondering if character names ever actually show up. I think I only ever see gamertags

For now, all you see is the gamertag, no one sees the character name. There has been talk of making it so you can see the character names.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Espionage-
    Espionage-
    ✭✭✭
    Use accents on vowel letters, thats what I do.
    I have:-
    Espionage
    Espionåge
    Espïonage
    PS4 | DC |
  • Lyrebon
    Lyrebon
    ✭✭✭
    I always use a forename and surname in my characters and have never come across a conflict. I've used the same surname as someone else but that's it. I like lore-friendly games in an RPG so it feels like my character actually belongs in that world.

I kinda hate people who run around with stupid names like "NOT-A-NOOB-4165415515".
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I dont use lore proper names.I use names I really like,Mostly Germanic names.I have one named Skorzeny,in the EU server that is a great DK.
  • nordsavage
    nordsavage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should have got to the party sooner. I was on here the minute the servers opened to secure my most awesome of Nord names. Kodaav or "Bear" in the dragon tongue. If you think a name is cool so do a hundred others.
    I didn't choose tank life, tank life chose me.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All my characters are named after potatoes.

The heal Potato
    The sneaky Potato
    The Flying Potato

I gave up trying to name it something cool after a while..
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To add to my earlier comment,I have never had a problem with naming my chars.Not once. What type of names are you guys having problems using?
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Volkodav wrote: »
    To add to my earlier comment,I have never had a problem with naming my chars.Not once. What type of names are you guys having problems using?

Well I don't know german and I bet very few people do so the fact that you know those names gives you a lot more options.
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is when people try to use names of existing characters from other games, or books, movies, TV shows etc. Especially other Elder Scrolls games.

If you wanted to call your character Dovahkiin/Dragonborn or Nevarine you'd pretty much have to be the first one onto the server at launch. (And accept that 1/2 the people who get the reference will disapprove because your ESO character is not Dragonborn and certainly isn't the reincarnation of Indoril Nerevar).

Likewise for Gandalf, Aragorn, Arya Stark, Tony Stark, Link, Harry Potter etc. (You might have some luck with Daenerys Targaryen since so many people misspell it and she's got about 15 titles to choose from.) I have seen Flick Ohmsford and Rincewind the Wizzard in-game, but they might well have gotten those names at launch.

Even if you're going for something relatively obscure you might be surprised. I've not tried in this game but in another one I tried to register Zanthia the Mystic (a character from a 90's point-and-click adventure I think about 10 people have heard of) and even that was taken.

So basically the best bet is to be original. I often use the same surname for my characters, which is a word I made up about 15 years ago (as a surname for RP characters) and that usually guarantees that the name won't be taken, no matter what I use for a firstname.

An easy way to do it is to come up with a name you like, or a few words that describe the character, and then translate it into a language that isn't supported by the game (in ESO that's anything except English, French and German). Or even a mix of languages - in another game I have a character with an old Irish firstname and a Welsh last name because I didn't like how it looked with both words in the same language.

It doesn't even have to be a language you speak. There are plenty of free translation programs out there which are pretty good if you're doing single words, nouns particularly - you need to be a bit more careful if you're translating concepts or feelings, particularly between languages that aren't closely related. It's very easy to go from "mysterious" to "weird". And if you extend it to ancient or fictional languages there are whole free dictionaries you can browse for ideas.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Volkodav wrote: »

Well I don't know german and I bet very few people do so the fact that you know those names gives you a lot more options.
    Well,not all my names are German though. Just some of them.I have other names like Skipjack,Liberty Valance,and other English worded names.People can think outside the box for names.That gives a whole lot more options.
    I think of something like Spirit Warrior,use Google translate and what comes up is usually pretty cool.
    Warrior Spirit is "Kreiger Geister: in German.
    Or,
    Dragon Slayer is "Drachentoter" in German.

Also doing searches for ancient Norse or Germanic gives you names like:
    Adalwulf: Noble Wolf
    Barahthraber: Briught Raven.
    Edited by Volkodav on February 23, 2016 4:05PM