Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Nord in the DC

Jaemeson_Foster
Jaemeson_Foster
✭✭✭
Hello!

So I'm always a nord in es games. Love 'em. Always love the viking barbarian archetype. However, I really really don't like the Ebonheart Pact. The theme is bleh, I don't care much for dark elves, and the environments/flora/fauna just don't tickle my ES fancy. So I'm considering buying the Imperial Edition so I can make my Nord be a part of the much more visually pleasing DC.

From a roleplay perspective, why would my Nord be in the DC. If they're at war with the Ebonheart Pact, why wouldn't the people of the DC kill me on sight? I'm thinking this:

The Nord has no care for the Ebonheart Pact because they wrongfully imprisoned him for questioning orders. He finds himself in Coldharbour after being executed and after all of that bit of story, he finds himself in the Daggerfall covenant, and joins the Fighters Guild as his only means to fit in without others being suspicious of the lonely Nord amongst them.

Eh?
  • xerasia
    xerasia
    ✭✭✭
    Good story! I had to come up with stories for my elf and my orc to be in EP as well :)

Xerasia - Bosmer Magicka Templar | NA EP
    Galasha - Orc Stamina Dragonknight | NA EP
    Haileigha - Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | NA EP
    Zaxaria - lvl 21 Argonian I don't even know what to do with this one Nightblade | NA EP
  • Father_X_Zombie
    Father_X_Zombie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello!

So I'm always a nord in es games. Love 'em. Always love the viking barbarian archetype. However, I really really don't like the Ebonheart Pact. The theme is bleh, I don't care much for dark elves, and the environments/flora/fauna just don't tickle my ES fancy. So I'm considering buying the Imperial Edition so I can make my Nord be a part of the much more visually pleasing DC.

From a roleplay perspective, why would my Nord be in the DC. If they're at war with the Ebonheart Pact, why wouldn't the people of the DC kill me on sight? I'm thinking this:

The Nord has no care for the Ebonheart Pact because they wrongfully imprisoned him for questioning orders. He finds himself in Coldharbour after being executed and after all of that bit of story, he finds himself in the Daggerfall covenant, and joins the Fighters Guild as his only means to fit in without others being suspicious of the lonely Nord amongst them.

Eh?

I think you have to buy the adventurer pack for that. The Imperial edition just gives you the race.
    And welcome to DC!
    GT: AK x Zombie

Marcurio Avidius - Breton Sorcerer - The Flawless Conquerer - General
    Raven Avidius - Imperial Nightblade - Stormproof
    Cicero Avidius - Imperial Templar - First Sergeant
    Audens Avidius - Breton Templar - Stormproof
    Jimi Hendrix - Redguard Dragonknight - Stormproof
    Leliana Artaine - Breton Nightblade - Stormproof
    Brutus Decinus - Imperial Sorcerer - Stormproof AD
    Wait aren't you DC - Dark elf Nightblade EP
    Achilleus Infernium - Breton Dragonknight
    Claudia Aurella - Imperial Warden
    DC NA XB1

RIP XB1 NA Chillrend 2015-2017
    Home to emp farmers and roleplayers
    Put out of its misery by Brian Wheeler

• Firerock2
    Firerock2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest your story be that you were enslaved during the war as you fought for your pathetic elven brethren. You were then taken to Daggerfall where you were given a choice to fight for DC or die a horrible death. You pathetically chose the cowardly route since that's what elf lovers do and now you are forced to fulfill your contract or the your masters will have you dyed yellow, skin you alive, and then wear your hide like a cape. You could have an internal struggle of fighting for your own life vs fighting against your friends (the putrid elves).

Whatever you choose have fun! Just remember though to watch your back because I am quick with the *** elves and I'll be quick with you too. I, a noble Imperial, spit on you Nord.
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By way of another example, perhaps your character has lived for several years in or near the settlements now forming the DC, and you have developed a natural empathy for their culture or way of life. Maybe you just feel an attachment to the land. If so, it may help if you put some thought behind the reasons for travelling across Tamriel to pastures new - a desire to wander and explore; a chance to learn something new in a distant city, or disillusionment with something closer to home?

When it comes to choosing sides therefore, you could face some internal conflict between fighting alongside your kin folk or with the people you now share your life with. Those moral dilemmas can add a bit of spice to RP and can make the game a bit more interesting to play.

There are many, many reasons why your Nord could be in the DC. And that is one of the simple pleasures of the Elder Scrolls when you RP. Happy gaming!
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • MikkeOfGreenRiver
    MikkeOfGreenRiver
    ✭✭✭
    A Nord could easily be born and raised in any province. Race doesn’t have to dictate culture or politics. I think your plan to use the Fighters Guild to anchor you Nord in foreign territory is a good one. Enjoy! :smile:
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just because you're Nord doesn't mean you grew up in EP either, and I think in terms of beliefs a lot of Nords are not happy with aligning themselves with the Dunmer, a long time enemy. Think about it, Nords historically have had their communities invaded by Dunmer slavers. The Dunmer occassionally try to occupy land that the Nords see as theirs. Ideologically the Dunmer beliefs are anathema to what Nords generally believe is right. In terms of belief systems, the Bretons and Redguards come far closer to Nord way of life, and Orcs at least share common terrain and in some cases lands. The Orcs also share a similar fatalistic sort of warrior culture, though the Nord culture at least is a bit more joyful about it. If you play in some of the Skyrim-based stories of ESO you'll see not all Nords are happy about aligning with any elves much less the hated dark elves.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Jaemeson_Foster
    Jaemeson_Foster
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of cool ideas!

I ended up with this one: At a young age he was sent to a monastery/temple/what-have-you in skyrim to train to become a storm warrior (a type of battlemage that is more attuned to lightning spells). Once students graduate they have the option to be sent to the fighting military, the fighters guild, or the mage's guild. Mine chose the Fighters' guild, and that's how he ended up in Coldharbour- he got captured on a mission. Now he's with the Guild Division in DC, as he never liked the AD, nor did he agree with the alignment with the Dunmer, as he's never liked the smell of the three banner war. After the initial events of Coldharbour, it seems his suspicion and doubts of the real happening behind the scenes of the three banner war are more realistic than others thought..

I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's allowing me to not only play a Nord in DC, but this specific type of monastery-taught warrior also has reason to delve into other avenues such as alchemy, enchanting, and even helping the mage's guild without it seeming out of character for a hardened warrior to do. I'm so glad I dished out the cash for adventurer's pack, i'm finally playing the game the way my own way \m/
  • Richard_scottub17_ESO
    How about this, your child hood friend was a breaton and at the start of the war EP soldiers arrested and executed him under the suspicion of being a DC spy and you return his body to high rock for a proper buriel and join the DC to avenge him.
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pacts do not hate the races that are not in their pact, necessarily, though they surely could be more suspicious of outsiders. You will find that to be true even with the npc's. You really do not have to come up with any special reason. The pacts are formed by political alliances, not necessarily a racial one. Just obviously you see more of this race or that race on one side or another due to the alliances.

I write about my Nord, Krist, on here quite often and he will be traveling throughout Tamriel. Once you hit Veteran's rank, on a game mechanics side of it, you can travel to other lands without being attacked, so the mechanics even support it.
    "Krist the Lionheart? No. Lionheart was my dog" -Krist
    "Darling, if looks were everything, I would be king of the world" -Luke
    "That place, between day and night, that purple color just before dark, that is where you will find me"- Hughe
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ethnicity is not nationality. Maybe he was born in DC? Plenty of Americans of Japanese descent fought for the allies during WWII. Mostly in Europe, against nations allied with Japan, but some even served directly in the Pacific against Japan. The current royal family of England was originally the House of Hanover because they are of German descent. They changed it to House of Windsor about a hundred years ago to sound more English. And, obviously, they supported England and fought against the Nazis in WWII.

Basically, I just don't think you need any complicated backstory for why a Nord would be in DC. He might be a Nord in DC because, literally, he is a Nord who lives in DC!
  • jkemmery
    jkemmery
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Nord main plays in DC. I invented a mental backstory about how her father was a travelling merchant, and along her travels with him as a young girl she fell for some Redguard warrior and moved to Daggerfall when she could only to discover he had been killed in wars with EP.