Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

EARNABLE mounts make ALL MMO's much more enjoyable. This is shameful.

Zephlar
Zephlar
Soul Shriven
I pre-ordered (got suckered into buying) the Imperial Edition and stopped after 3 months. The conditions were awful. Recently started playing again. You are telling me there are STILL no mounts you can earn outside of horses?

EARNING cool aesthetic *** make's MMO's WAY more fun. That's half the MMO experience for many, aesthetics. You have an avatar, and that avatar deserves to look friggin rad on bitchin unicorn many know you worked really hard to get. I understand the need to pay upkeep to keep things running, but christ give the players SOMETHING cool to actually earn.
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah this reminds me of swtor. you can literally earn 90% of speeders over there.
    Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do feel some items could be filtered into gameplay a little more.

However this seems to be working for them as a revenue stream now so if it's supporting the game maybe it's not all bad?
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I, for one, second this proposal. Mounts has to be earnable in-game. I am not saying it should be easy to earn them; on the contrary, the harder, the better, ideally ridiculously hard, next to impossible to earn. No matter how supposedly cool a mount is, if it is only available through the cash shop, it confers zero prestige because everyone knows you had to buy it with dollars; it is as though every mount had registration plate saying "credit card warrior" attached. A mount can only be cool as long as there is a chance, if slim, you might have completed some heroic quest to earn it. The Monetization Department really should look into this issue!
    Besides, mounts that could be, in theory, earned in-game would allow us to semi-credibly pretend the game is not P2W, that one does not have to pay to achieve objectives.
    Edited by JamilaRaj on February 16, 2016 5:11PM
  • Trayzard
    Trayzard
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. I was never a fan of that "Crown shop" Mounts. It's really sad that they arent epic mounts you can only get through quests or from dungeons etc. But i think this will never happen ;( ... they have already gone too far on that path.
    Edited by Trayzard on February 16, 2016 5:59PM
  • Paazhahdrimaak
    Paazhahdrimaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least some unlockable mounts.
    That was the stuff that kept me playing other mmos for a long time.
  • Zephlar
    Zephlar
    Soul Shriven
    JamilaRaj wrote: »
    I, for one, second this proposal. Mounts has to be earnable in-game. I am not saying it should be easy to earn them; on the contrary, the harder, the better, ideally ridiculously hard, next to impossible to earn. No matter how supposedly cool a mount is, if it is only available through the cash shop, it confers zero prestige because everyone knows you had to buy it with dollars; it is as though every mount had registration plate saying "credit card warrior" attached. A mount can only be cool as long as there is a chance, if slim, you might have completed some heroic quest to earn it. The Monetization Department really should look into this issue!
    Besides, mounts that could be, in theory, earned in-game would allow us to semi-credibly pretend the game is not P2W, that one does not have to pay to achieve objectives.

I could not agree with this more. When you know everyone on a cool mount simply bought it there is almost zero wow factor at all. When you have to earn the f*** out of a cool mount that has less than a 1% drop rate, and someone sees it, it's like wow this motherf***er is gangster!

The marketing from day 1 has been absolutely shameful. The feeling of being truly rewarded is a rare feeling in ESO.
  • Whatzituyah
    Whatzituyah
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't agree more this should apply to pets and some costumes aswell.
  • cote-bmsb16_ESO
    cote-bmsb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I just want a dwemer car
  • myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want a dwemer car

Would love a dwemer bike, but yeah that would be cool.
    Edited by myrrrorb14_ESO on February 19, 2016 6:56PM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm clearly not against crown store mounts since I own 3 of them, but I also agree that at least some mounts should be earnable in-game.

It's a fun reward for doing that content, a way of showing people what you've achieved and if it's done right it can even be an incentive to get people to try content they wouldn't normally bother with.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Darkonflare15
    Darkonflare15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zephlar wrote: »

I could not agree with this more. When you know everyone on a cool mount simply bought it there is almost zero wow factor at all. When you have to earn the f*** out of a cool mount that has less than a 1% drop rate, and someone sees it, it's like wow this motherf***er is gangster!

The marketing from day 1 has been absolutely shameful. The feeling of being truly rewarded is a rare feeling in ESO.

Tbh, mounts earn because of a droprate just mean they were just lucky and it is a lackluster reward. I rather have mounts rewarded because of achievements.
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is not what I meant, however. I suggested there should be a way to earn mounts not because anyone would go and actually earn them, but because if there was a way, whales riding on cool mounts could not be ridiculed right off the bat, because nobody would know if they bought them or not. They most likely did, but there would be slim chance they did not.
    I am by no means suggesting bragging rights should be playwalled!!!
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Tbh, mounts earn because of a droprate just mean they were just lucky and it is a lackluster reward. I rather have mounts rewarded because of achievements.

I agree. A low drop rate doesn't make it impressive, someone could have gotten it on their first try. In most cases it just means you were grinding the same (usually relatively easy) content over and over. If they were going to be in-game rewards they should come from achievements or other activities where they're a guaranteed drop and the challenge is in reaching and/or completing the challenge, not in getting a lucky 'roll'.

That is not what I meant, however. I suggested there should be a way to earn mounts not because anyone would go and actually earn them, but because if there was a way, whales riding on cool mounts could not be ridiculed right off the bat, because nobody would know if they bought them or not. They most likely did, but there would be slim chance they did not.
    I am by no means suggesting bragging rights should be playwalled!!!

Ridiculed? I use the clouded leopard senche on my main character and I've never been ridiculed for it. I've had people ask where I got it, people telling me another crown store mount (or the tiger) is better and people switching to theirs so they can roar at each other but I've never been ridiculed.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is a valid idea and would be interesting to have a mix of bought and earned ones BUT given the epic levels of complaining from players on having to earn anything at all in this game be it PvP ranks/skills, PvE set drops or just levels I think they'd all end up being in the crown store anyway :)
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We get a spider from a dungeon why not a mount?
  • DragonSamurai360
    DragonSamurai360
    ✭✭✭
    Although earnable mounts would be fun to have, the Crown Store isn't a bad idea for those that have the Crowns to buy them. I do think that if there were to be mounts you could earn it really needs to be a hard thing to accomplish like certain Dyes with achievements as an example, this would ensure their rarity and high value. The mounts would also need to be associated with something other than achievements to ensure they unlock correctly for the collections on the ESO users account.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can earn mounts ingame already,ya know.
    I earned my Horse ingame.I worked till I got the 42,000 gold to buy it.And this was early on,just after ESO came out.I was poor folke,and it was hard for a noob to get all that gold! XD
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "shameful" is a huge exaggeration lol
  • DragonSamurai360
    DragonSamurai360
    ✭✭✭
    Well you can earn a pet or two if you own Thieves Guild and Orsinium, or are subscribed to ESO PLUS in the upcoming content update in March. To clarify you earn one if you own Orsinium and one for Thieves Guild totaling two pets if you own both, or if you are subscribed to ESO PLUS then you get access to both, since the subscription gives you the DLC for the length of your subscription. It's possible they could add mounts in the future for future DLC's if enough popularity is reached.