Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

An Uncomfortable Truth: Glyph of Potion Speed and Other Forgotten Glyphs

Junkogen
Junkogen
✭✭✭✭✭
These glyphs have been neglected by the developers. From the most basic trifling normal glyph to legendary truly superb, the glyph only reduces the potion cooldown by 5 seconds? 5 seconds? Why would I trade legendary damage or regen glyphs for only 5 seconds of cooldown at the legendary level. This issue needs to be addressed. Glyphs of potion speed need to be adjusted to account for the sacrifice of a legendary damage or regen glyph. How about legendary superb glyphs reduce the cooldown by 10 or even 15 seconds. Perhaps you could make them work like a set or transform them into a set where if you use 3 glyphs of potion speed you get an augmented cooldown reduction of like 20 seconds or maybe add some damage or regen increase or some increase to potion effectiveness. I just think this strain of glyphs as well as others have been forgotten while the damage and regen glyphs reign supreme. This game needs build diversity and making unique enchants that rival the current standard are a great place to make it happen. The potion speed glyph is obsolete because it doesn't add much value compared to others, especially when you factor in a cooldown like the abysmally long 45-second potion cooldown.

Or how about a unique set of alchemy or potion-based jewelry to go along with these enchants? Don't give up on these other types of less popular glyphs. With the right adjustments and some creativity, these could become something unique and awesome.

Please give the forsaken glyphs more attention and creativity.

Thank you.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you just want this because of the new Clever Achemist set that's coming out and right after you consume a potion you gain 638 Weapon Damage and Spell damage for 15 seconds.

So where I am standing you want to stack that...

The cooldown is fine because of this new OP set.

No one wants ppl to have a perma 600 weapon and spell damage because they can potion spam...
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you that most of the more unique Glyphs you can make seem underpowered, hence most get ignored in favour of the classic options. Same with potions. Its a shame as powering up the more unique options would make the whole game a bit more spicey.

But concur in this instance that they need to keep balance if there are other factors such as this new set.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • SkylarkAU
    SkylarkAU
    ✭✭✭✭
    Duiwel wrote: »
    I think you just want this because of the new Clever Achemist set that's coming out and right after you consume a potion you gain 638 Weapon Damage and Spell damage for 15 seconds.

No one wants ppl to have a perma 600 weapon and spell damage because they can potion spam...

If you trade gold v16 damage glyphs for the equivalent in potion cool down it's not really that amazing though.

3 x damage enchants will give you 522 weapon/spell damage all the time
    3 x cooldown enchants with the alchemist set will give you 638 weapon/spell damage half the time (and zero for the other half)

It's still an interesting combo don't get me wrong but I don't think it's OP..
    Edited by SkylarkAU on February 15, 2016 1:33PM
    Skylärk // v16 Stamina DK (AvA 23)
    Elizabeth Skylark // v16 Magicka Sorc (AvA 29)
    Tauriel Skylark // v16 Stamina NB (AvA 12)
    Alexander Skylark // v2 Magicka Templar
    Terra Australis XI // v2 Magicka DK
    Nocturnal | RÀGE
    << PC/NA/AD >>

Youtube
  • Azarath_tiberius
    Azarath_tiberius
    ✭✭✭
    SkylarkAU wrote: »

If you trade gold v16 damage glyphs for the equivalent in potion cool down it's not really that amazing though.

3 x cooldown enchants with the alchemist set will give you 638 weapon/spell damage half the time (and zero for the other half)

It's going to be more than just interesting in PvP. I fear that the one-shot builds will make a return in the next DLC.
  • SkylarkAU
    SkylarkAU
    ✭✭✭✭

It's going to be more than just interesting in PvP. I fear that the one-shot builds will make a return in the next DLC.

I haven't seen any one shot builds yet on PTS but yeah the TTK is going to be shorter next patch
    Skylärk // v16 Stamina DK (AvA 23)
    Elizabeth Skylark // v16 Magicka Sorc (AvA 29)
    Tauriel Skylark // v16 Stamina NB (AvA 12)
    Alexander Skylark // v2 Magicka Templar
    Terra Australis XI // v2 Magicka DK
    Nocturnal | RÀGE
    << PC/NA/AD >>

Youtube
  • Azarath_tiberius
    Azarath_tiberius
    ✭✭✭

I haven't seen any one shot builds yet on PTS but yeah the TTK is going to be shorter next patch

Too early for that. Only duels happen atm on PTS. But if you think about it we get Alchemist (which is crafted) + empower from magelight is already enough for some high burst builds from stealth. But we'll see when its live.
  • Junkogen
    Junkogen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It only lasts 15 seconds and the cooldown for potions is 45 seconds. Taking 20 seconds off that would hardly make it OP. It costs a lot of time and/or gold to maintain that kind of potion spam. Remember, once your potions run out so does the benefit.

Also, like I said in my OP, there is no difference between the legendary and normal potion reduction. I just think they could at least tack on a couple extra seconds to a legendary glyph. You might think it's overpowered, but I don't. It's a huge trade off to sacrifice all or some of your jewelry spots for cooldown.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Junkogen wrote: »
    These glyphs have been neglected by the developers. From the most basic trifling normal glyph to legendary truly superb, the glyph only reduces the potion cooldown by 5 seconds? 5 seconds? Why would I trade legendary damage or regen glyphs for only 5 seconds of cooldown at the legendary level. This issue needs to be addressed. Glyphs of potion speed need to be adjusted to account for the sacrifice of a legendary damage or regen glyph. How about legendary superb glyphs reduce the cooldown by 10 or even 15 seconds. Perhaps you could make them work like a set or transform them into a set where if you use 3 glyphs of potion speed you get an augmented cooldown reduction of like 20 seconds or maybe add some damage or regen increase or some increase to potion effectiveness. I just think this strain of glyphs as well as others have been forgotten while the damage and regen glyphs reign supreme. This game needs build diversity and making unique enchants that rival the current standard are a great place to make it happen. The potion speed glyph is obsolete because it doesn't add much value compared to others, especially when you factor in a cooldown like the abysmally long 45-second potion cooldown.

Or how about a unique set of alchemy or potion-based jewelry to go along with these enchants? Don't give up on these other types of less popular glyphs. With the right adjustments and some creativity, these could become something unique and awesome.

Please give the forsaken glyphs more attention and creativity.

Thank you.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert

Reducing the cooldown by 10 seconds gives you the option to have potions up constantly. I think that's a bit much.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

.... and if you're using weapon/spell power potions and can have them up constantly (which would be possible by reducing cooldowns by 10 seconds as the OP suggests)?
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree it's not OP...now, however if they listen to OP and reduce it plus you are rolling Argonian...

Then I can see that there might be a possibility of it being quite OP.
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would need a lot more than a cooldown buff for me to even begin to consider it over the options.

I wouldnt hold my breath.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It could also improve the potions potency so you restore more resources or have a longer lasting effect.

There are multiple ways to improve some of these useless enchants.

Most people are running spell/weapon dmg, mag/stam regen or mag/stam/block cost reduction on jewelry. Thats only 7 useful jewelry enchants out of 18 options.

The ones that are least used (shock, disease, frost resist etc) could also improve dmg or improve the chance to proc the status effect.

Long story short, improve useless jewelry enchants.
    Edited by Septimus_Magna on February 16, 2016 7:34AM
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't seen any one shot builds yet on PTS but yeah the TTK is going to be shorter next patch[/quote]

Took me one search to find one shot Willey the Argonian Nightblade Clever Alchemist and that is someone who will post his finding for everyone not keep it super exert till its hits live and go one a killing spree.

If there is 1 there is 10
  • ontheleftcoast
    ontheleftcoast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    acw37162 wrote: »

Took me one search to find one shot Willey the Argonian Nightblade Clever Alchemist and that is someone who will post his finding for everyone not keep it super exert till its hits live and go one a killing spree.

If there is 1 there is 10

One-Shot Willie is going to be even deadlier in Live. Apparently Argonians are getting a buff to their racial passives to reduce cool down time on potions. From the comments it seems with 3 glyphs of reduced time it will be about 5 seconds between potions for Argonians (By that I mean 15 seconds of buff from Clever Alchemist and 5 seconds of down time, so 20 seconds total). If the rumors of this buff are true expect to see lots of lizards quaffing potions when this goes live.
    Edited by ontheleftcoast on February 19, 2016 3:38AM
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    couple of things to remember:

1. afaik it can be a level 1 potion. yes you are using up your potion cooldown for little benefit, but it isn't going to be 'expensive' at all to keep that extra 600 up as much as possible.

2. yes, in theory you lose a % of dps over other sets because of the potion cooldown, but that really isn't a valid argument because you control when the cooldown happens. If the set randomly had a cooldown where it just wouldn't work for x period of time, then sure talk about it, but saying you lose potential DPS when you are sitting around doing nothing is a strange argument.

fracture > empower > potion > snipe > GG
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.