Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Anyone have any pvp advice?

dereck_phantom
I have a level 48 sorc in non-vet pvp and I'm STILL trash lol. Stamina builds run all over like crazy anyome have any type of advice or can forwarded me to any earlier post or guide that someone made?

Best Answer

• leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you use your shield? Hardened/harness.

For vs stamina builds, use hardened ward, mines and streak to keep pressure off you, always keep shield up. Deal some burst dmg with a curse/proc frag.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
    Answer ✓
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in similar boat as OP, and yeah learnt its all about shields otherwise you get smashed. Still do to be fair with bar swapping and timing complexity.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • dereck_phantom
    Thanks I'll keep it up
  • RobbaYaga
    RobbaYaga
    ✭✭
    For a Magicka Sorc, dump any Champion Points you have into Bastion to improve your shield. If you don't have any CP, that's something to worry about later.

Protection in PVP can come from (in no particular order):

Armor - though if you're a Magicka build, you should be using light armor which is not much protection, so a lot of people use one or two pieces of heavy on their largest body sections (Head, Chest, Legs) to get some extra protection without losing the magicka passives from light armor

Light Armor Skill - protects against Magicka (though it also offers protection against things like flames and poisons and such)

Medium Armor Skill - simply makes ~20% of attacks miss you, but costs substantial stamina

Heavy Armor Skill - gives a huge armor buff, but costs substantial stamina

Hardened Ward [morph of Daedric Summoning-Conjured Ward] (never let it drop) - protects against all attacks

Streak (morph of Storm Calling-Bolt Escape) - If you are getting pounded, this moves you away and stuns (and damages) those in your wake. With a lot of Magicka, you can just Streak away until you can hide.

Defensive Rune (morph of Dark Magic-Rune Prison) - this is a life saver against annoying NB surprise attacks or those people who like to use macros. It stops the attack sequence in its tracks and gives you a moment or two before they break free to regroup. It also lasts a full minute after casting, though needs to be recast once triggered.

Bound Aegis (morph of Daedric Summoning-Bound Armor) - gives a nice boost to your physical and spell resistance and increases your max magicka, which makes your Hardened Ward stronger

Restraining Prison (morph of Dark Magic-Encase) - this Crowd Control (CC) ability stops opponents in their tracks and leaves them slowed for a few seconds after

Defensive Stance (morph of Sword & Shield-Defensive Posture) - this buff is nice because it lasts 30 seconds after casting, but only reflects one magic projectile and then needs to be recast. It costs stamina, but its not a huge amount

Learning to Block Power attacks and crap like the ever-abused Wrecking Blow will help a lot too as not only do you take a lot less damage, but you don't end up on your arse. Good blocking is an art all in itself.

Daedric Minefield (morph of Dark Magic-Daedric Mines) - this is great defensive spell as it drops a field of very damaging mines that also CC the opponent. And this leads to the next thing ...

Use terrain as well. Get out of line of sight, Streak somewhere and go around a corner. I see a lot of Sorcs get into a small crack between rocks and drop Daedric Mines and while their opponent is stuck, they pound them or heal or whatever. Speaking of heals:

Healing Ward (morph of Restoration Staff-Steadfast Ward) - gives a big damage shield that heals you a lot when it drops.

You're going to have to try different things out and mix and match and see what works for you. If you're wanting to be offensive, then the Wards may be all you need. When you want to be Defensive, maybe a Ward with the Daedric Mines and something else. Maybe set up the add-on Dressing Room and flip between builds (when not in combat).

I actually run a very strong Magicka Sorc Tank in PvE who is able to get through any dungeon situation I've come across, but his DPS is crap, so in PvE, it would be of limited use. Also be aware of Shield Breaker sets when you get to the Vet PvP. It sucks for Ward users.

Good Luck.
    Dragon kings, dying queens; where is salvation now?
  • dereck_phantom
    @RobbaYaga thanks man I have conjured ward well harden ward and harness magicka and dedric minefield just my shields are crap. But I'll try heavy armor as well
  • Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seems like you're on the right track. CP in Bastion is also a good call. Persevere with it. Mag Sorc is in a good place for sure.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RobbaYaga thanks man I have conjured ward well harden ward and harness magicka and dedric minefield just my shields are crap. But I'll try heavy armor as well

Don't bother with heavy, go 5light/1medium/1heavy if you have the undaunted passive for max stats, if not go 7 light.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • CamBam370
    CamBam370
    ✭✭✭
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAllllllllllllllllllllllwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyysssssssssssss wait for the ticccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkk
  • RobbaYaga
    RobbaYaga
    ✭✭
    @dereck_phantom

If your Shields are crap, it makes me wonder if you're a split attribute build. You should be all magicka or close to it. After all, the higher your magicka, the harder your spells hit and the bigger your Ward gets. I run around with no attribute points in Health at all because my Ward is huge. I supplement with tri-food, but regardless, as long as I keep spamming my Ward, I'm hard to kill.
    Dragon kings, dying queens; where is salvation now?
  • dereck_phantom
    @RobbaYaga nah all my attributes are in magicka tho and I have the Mage mundus stone
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dereck_phantom - dont forget boundless storm it also gives some protection.

When you can get mines get them, they are a good barrier for you to keep between you and those stamina builds,
    I have stam sorc in BWB now,
    I wreck most magicka sorcs with crit rush, light attack, Wrecking blow and executioner...

Keep those shields up they do help a lot...

Yes CP into the Bastion and also CP into Light armour focus will help..

Streak is a good offensive skill and can also be used defensively..

I assume you damage rotation is good,
    curse, weave light attack, crushing shock, frags when proc, mages fury when health low?

My bars on my sorc look like this
    Destro staff
    Crushing shock
    Curse,
    hardened ward,
    Frags,
    streak,
    U - Greater storm attronach/meteor

Resto Staff
    Healing ward,
    boundless storm,
    harness magicka,
    daedric minefield,
    mages wrath,
    U - Energy overload
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)