Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Best time to do Main Quest/Guild Quests

VaXuS
VaXuS
Hi Guys,

I'm wondering when do you guys suggest would be the best time to do these quests? as soon as possible or should i save them for later and just focus on the Alliance Quest Chain? I'm after immersion and i find that i have too many quests to do at the same time and i'm already out of level range for some. for example on my new char on EP i just completed Bleakrock and Bal Foyen in their entirety arrived back at Davon's watch at lv8 and the next quests are for lv.6 lol, so would it be better to just continue doing the alliance quest-chain because from what i've read the Main Quest and Guild Quests are scaled to your level?

Cheers!
  • Fellenore_Ewalion
    Fellenore_Ewalion
    ✭✭✭
    The blue jewelries may be useful at lower levels, but really, each piece can be bought for a very moderst price at almost any guild trader. They don't worth a strategy to build up for them.
    My Great House Telvanni did not join the Pact.
    But it does not mean I don't want to be Emperor.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You should do the main quest line as it is offered to you.When the Prophet shows up go to the Harborage for the quest.The Alliance stuff is a sideline.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One piece of advice I'd offer is to finish the Fighter's Guild questline right before you start Coldharbour (which will be after you do the five main zones of your alliance). Lots of daedra in Coldharbour, and you'll be happy you have a daedra-killin' weapon at your current level when you get there.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • VaXuS
    VaXuS
    Ilsabet wrote: »
    One piece of advice I'd offer is to finish the Fighter's Guild questline right before you start Coldharbour (which will be after you do the five main zones of your alliance). Lots of daedra in Coldharbour, and you'll be happy you have a daedra-killin' weapon at your current level when you get there.

Duly noted thanks! What about the mages guild quest-line? do you happen to also have any advice when it would be optimal to do the quests?

Cheers!
  • Peel_Ya_Cap_517
    Peel_Ya_Cap_517
    ✭✭✭✭
    You should do whatever you feel like, whenever you feel like, and in any order you want to :smiley:
    N64 NA EP
  • VaXuS
    VaXuS
    You should do whatever you feel like, whenever you feel like, and in any order you want to :smiley:

That works too i guess :D
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your first time through, do it whatever order you'd like. On subsequent characters, save the main quest and guild quests once you complete cold harbor, as you get more XP per quest that way.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    VaXuS wrote: »
    Ilsabet wrote: »

Duly noted thanks! What about the mages guild quest-line? do you happen to also have any advice when it would be optimal to do the quests?

Cheers!

I don't think it matters as much for the Mages Guild questline since the weapon reward isn't as fancy as the one the Fighters Guild gives out (and the other reward you may get - depending on your choices - can be used at any time).

I had the same issue you did with being overleveled for quests, so I put off most of the main quest line and the last few Mages Guild quests for quite a while. (Ironically given my earlier advice to you, the Fighters Guild is the one questline I finished earlier, so I was using a level 43 bow at V1 in Coldharbour. :D) I finally did them right before I started Coldharbour, which put me at level 49 and 99% when I started that area. The entirety of Coldharbour (which is designed for 45-50) gave me the entirety of the V1 level, so that gives you an idea of what the exp curve looks like after you hit level 50. The good news is at Vet levels I don't need to worry so much about being 5+ levels over what I'm doing now. I'm currently V3 in a V1 area.

So I guess I'd say if you want to reduce your overleveling up to level 50, hold off on the main quests and guild quests until you get to Coldharbour and/or hit V1, but this also means delaying getting the skill points from the main quests, and all of your jewelry rewards from those quests will be bunched up at one or two levels.

Ultimately though it's up to you. Doing the main/guild quests as they come up may feel more natural, and I managed to mostly skirt the 5-level line on the quests I was doing in my alliance even though I had done a bunch of the main/guild quests earlier. It's also nice to get the progression of the main story before you start the Coldharbour business, since all of that has kind of an endgame feel to it.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    on my last characters i want to keep the fighters guild questline till i am vR16.. want to see what the prismatic weapon you get at the end will be and if it is worth keeping then..

PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Johngo0036 wrote: »
    on my last characters i want to keep the fighters guild questline till i am vR16.. want to see what the prismatic weapon you get at the end will be and if it is worth keeping then..

I love my Prismatic----. It works even though it is far below my present level.For some reason it just keeps on being highly useful.