Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Imperial Templar Tank Build?

Kukuii
Kukuii
I have been trying to find a build for my Templar. I am almost 50, and have been unable to find a good working build for tanking. I play as Imperial.

If anyone has a decent build to use, that would be awesome.
Edited by Kukuii on January 22, 2016 4:41PM
  • Kukuii
    Kukuii
    Forgot to mention Im looking for a PvE build.
  • dantheman1972
    Considering you may not have any champion points yet, it will definitely hurt you, but I think you should be able to tank any non-hard content with this setup (not city of ash, wgt, icp)

Bar 1: sword and board
    1. sun shield - not a great shield, but it's health based, which makes it great for tanks, meaning it will have good damage absorption for a stamina tank - Adriatic spear ability slotted as well, so more dps
    2. Repentance - one ability DK Tanks will ALWAY be jealous of
    3. Absorb magic (defensive posture) - adds damage mitigation while blocking, reduced block cost - and great to spam against certain bosses
    4. Pierce armor - taunt and debuff
    5. Power of light or purifying light
    ult: wearwolf - purely for Stam regen - I have embarrassingly transformed by accident only twice, which sucked as you have no taunts, and I did not even have a single WW ability slotted - haha, any ways, if this happens just hit ultimate again to transform out of it)

Bar 2: sword and board
    1.Rune focus - I prefer thus morph for the magic return, to be able to spam sun shield
    2. Breath of life - emergency heal when healer goes down - I've saved many wipes due to this. It's not Thar powerful, but with Templar passives and CPs, make it worth slotting
    3. Defensive flex - bone shield, ring of preservation, harness magic
    4. Heroic slash - boss damage debuff - I used to run resto staff on back bar, to increase BOL effectiveness and have options for things like healing ward, but when I did, I have to slot heroic slash on front bar and sacrifice power of light
    5. Offensive flex - blazing spear or caltrops

I've tried magic tank setup (50/50 final magic/Stam stats) and pure Stam tank - Stam tank seamed to work better, but still use atronoch mundus to get that maguc regen to around 1000

Now, the best upgrade you can do for a tank is to get engine guardian from dark shade cavern. Ironically, you don't really need a tank for that vet Dungeon, so run DPS gear there. With engine guardian I had my imperial Templar setup as a magica tank and I had 27k health, 25k magic, 23k Stam, with 1k mag recovery, and 2k Stam recovery. With this setup, engine Guardian helped tremendously as all 3 stats have relatively big pools. No matter which resource I got, it helped me stay alive. Having more magic made BOL and other magic abilities perform better. Now since obtaining engine guardian, I haven't tried Stam tank, but with a solid team, I've tanked wgt with this. A Stam tank would probably be a trade off of defenses going towards better damage with attacks. however, I suppose you could spam bone shield instead of sun shield, however bone shield is only physical damage. Shield spamming is great for engine guardian proccing.

Gear - I use hist bark, but not certain I would trade it for armor master - DK tanks love it, as they don't have to cast their armor buff (they get it free from casting shuffle, which is the same effect of hist bark, but not requiring a block). But shuffle is an expensive cast. However Templar tanks want to cast rune focus, due to the magic return. It lasts 26 (18 plus 8 more after it expires) seconds, and pays for itself in 4 seconds. I use mismatched monster gear for head and shoulders (preferably blood spawn and anything else), until engine guardian. Also 3 endurance and 2 agility (sword , shield, necklace, 2 rings).

Have fun with it. Tank non vet dungeons first and then try easy vet dungeons next (fungal grotto, wayrest, spindle clutch). Templar tank is definitely not the best tank, that's for DKs, but I know they are not the worst - I tried a sorc tank, magic and Stam - using pets was fun, but too limiting due to having to double bar the skills. NB tank can give Templar tank a run for the money, haven't tried it yet.
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use pretty simliar setup to @dantheman1972 on my imperial templar tank. But mine is a bit more magicka focused attribute wise, mainly so I can tank&heal easier VR dungeons.

Sword and Board. Bar 1:
    Channelled Focus(spam to proc Engine Guardian and 480 more magicka recovery)
    Breath of Life
    Purifying Light to help a bit with dps, proc minor sorcery + some free healing
    Puncture (mele stamina taunt)
    Defensive posture
    Ulti: Remembrance, Empowering Sweep or Dawnbreaker if undeads

Sword and board and my bar for pulling and clearing trash. Bar 2:
    Inner Fire (ranged taunt)
    Caltrops
    Blazing Spear
    Rest is flex. But usually 2 of these: Blazing Shield, Harness Magicka, Evasion, Purifying Ritual, Repentance or double Defensive Posture.

Ulti: Aggressive Warhorn. I rather be the Warhorn *** and have the healer with decent spell dmg use something offensive.

I only run Repentance if there's no other templar in the group. Non-tanks get more out of the corpses.

Normal set-up I have 26k health, 27k magicka and 21k stamina. But for a few bosses in veteran IC dungeons I switch some gear for more health. Cant live without Engine Guardian. Using Willows Path atm for super-sustain build because I get bored if I cant spam skills lol. Seducer heavy would also be nice. Willpower jewellery because more spell power is the best :smile:

Sadly there's no VR16 content atm that requires tanky sets like Hist Bark or Footman. You dont need capped mitigations or 30k health either. Might change with the new trial coming out ofc. But for now, better to use a set that gives more sustain or dmg, but in 5 heavy.
  • krees28b14_ESO
    krees28b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Couple of nice builds here. My suggestion is to wait about a week or so from now. The PTS goes live this week for the new dlc and the changes will be listed and new builds will begin to emerge because of them. But, these builds will point you in a good direction to start with "hopefully" subtle changes coming later on. I say hopefully because no one likes changing their entire skill bar and gear to compensate for the changes.
  • Kukuii
    Kukuii
    Couple of nice builds here. My suggestion is to wait about a week or so from now. The PTS goes live this week for the new dlc and the changes will be listed and new builds will begin to emerge because of them. But, these builds will point you in a good direction to start with "hopefully" subtle changes coming later on. I say hopefully because no one likes changing their entire skill bar and gear to compensate for the changes.

Well, im still using the same build I did since level 40. Most of my skills are ranked up to at least the point where I can morph them, so its not a big deal if I have to respec. As for my gear, well its going to get replaced in 2 VR levels anyway, and unless the changes go in this month (and from what I know, the PTS is all the new DLC, so not till next month) I still need to be effective for the rest of this month while I level up.

But, thank you for your help guys, it has given me some insight, showing me that I guess I will have to take part in some PvP for some of those skills.
  • krees28b14_ESO
    krees28b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Kukuii wrote: »

Well, im still using the same build I did since level 40. Most of my skills are ranked up to at least the point where I can morph them, so its not a big deal if I have to respec. As for my gear, well its going to get replaced in 2 VR levels anyway, and unless the changes go in this month (and from what I know, the PTS is all the new DLC, so not till next month) I still need to be effective for the rest of this month while I level up.

But, thank you for your help guys, it has given me some insight, showing me that I guess I will have to take part in some PvP for some of those skills.

Yeah, try to grind out those pvp skills now while the time passes for the dlc on March 7. No need to waste time and mats on gear that could change in a month.
  • Jerin.burgan
    Got some good advice on here so I'm gonna piggy back off this and see if any one has any advice on where to drop vet points on a build like these
  • Gordon906
    Gordon906
    ✭✭✭
    Is stamina templar bad against magic?