The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Healer/DPS

jkloza
jkloza
✭✭
Hey all, returning player here. I'm looking for some advice on class choice. I really love the smaller dungeons & solo play aspects of mmos. I'm looking for a class that's viable both healing, and dpsing smaller instances.

Is there a class that can swap between healing and dps easily?

Currently I have a v3 Templar / v3 nb, and a v2 sorc. Looking for a bit of advice as to which one I should finish up.

Thanks!
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka nightblade or magicka templar.

As nightblade changing between dps&heal or doing both, you only need to grab a resto staff. Keep using your main dps skill Funnel Health and main AoE Sap Essence, both heals for big amounts. Mix it up with some Healing Springs and Healing Wards.

As templar you do even less, just add Breath of Life and maybe Repentance to your current dps-setup.

Really comes down to if you want easy mode healing or easier dps.

Magicka nightblade is easier dps since range, mobility and good resource management. All dmg skills can be used while blocking and running around. Templar comes with way easier healing, but harder to play if you want good dps since channelled, with casting time, mele or all of it.

• Flameheart
    Flameheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All classes can do that in PvE as long you use a magicka build. As a healer you in fact should add dps or even function as a DD (by changing gear) if encounters allow it and your group members aren't "red circle seekers".

Templar's healing might be a discussable degree better, especially when it comes to buffing, but for existing 4-man-group-content all are fine. The NB has the advantage to do dps and heal by using the same skill (Funnel Health, Sap Essence).

I have the speedruns and no death runs for WGT and at least the speed runs for ICP with all my V16 Chars, achieved on V16 and often played as healers.

Edited by Flameheart on January 29, 2016 12:41PM
    Sometimes the prey turns and nips us... it's a small thing.

So let the snow flakes and unicorns dance alone until they melt or vanish from existence, we will finish up with those smart enough to stay in the glowing circle of love.

Selissi - CP 1k+ Redguard Stamina Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Silmerel - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Templar (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sunja - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Suldreni - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sulhelka - CP 1k+ Altmer Magicka Sorcerer (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sylundine - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Warden (Ebonheart Pact)

• jkloza
    jkloza
    ✭✭
    Gotcha gotcha, what about for msa? Which class between magicka based Templar / nb would be better?
  • Flameheart
    Flameheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For MSA you will need to adapt your build, equip, skill bars a lot for either class, but I would rate NB as better in general for that instance, hands down.

MSA is possible to acomplish by any class, but it isn't that balanced that you might do that on equal ease. For NBs alone I would rate alone the 40 % movement buff skills and the fact that you do damage and heal yourself by using the same skill a big advantage.

So let the snow flakes and unicorns dance alone until they melt or vanish from existence, we will finish up with those smart enough to stay in the glowing circle of love.

• Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty much been said, but a Templar is going to make a better pure healer and a NB is going to make a better pure DPS. In terms of doing both at same time (which is current meta), a good templar healers can still pull 18-20k DPS while healing without breaking their DPS rotation all that much. NBs are gonna pull better DPS on their own, and they passively provide a ton of off heals. Problem is that you need to equip a resto staff to deal with burst damage. Healing on a NB is very doable, but will require a slightly bigger modification to your DPS build than with a Templar.

In terms of VMA, its a bit of a double edged sword. There is no question that Magic Sorc and Magic NB are the clear favorites in terms of ease of clearing VMA. The place simply favors ranged builds that passively heal. However, sorc leaderboards are full and NBs will be soon. It will be a while before Templar boards are full, so a clear is likely a guaranteed weapon once a week for some time to come.

If I could only have one V16 toon and my choices were magic NB and Templar, I would personally go NB unless you really love healing. Templars are the undisputed best healers in PvE group content, but it can certainly be done on any magic class. Magic NBs are in a far better spot for PvP if that has any factor in your decision.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on January 29, 2016 5:23PM
  • jkloza
    jkloza
    ✭✭
    Gotcha gotcha, is it a problem that both my Templar, and my NB are imperials? Is it that much of a difference for magicka based builds? I'd rather not reroll, but if it's a notice or difference in the end, I may have to..

Thanks!
  • Flameheart
    Flameheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperial isn't the overall best choice for a Templar/NB magicka build, but it isn't the worst by far and it depends on your playstyle (PvP, PvE or both?) and role.

PvE: Best overall choices for PvE magicka DD builds are Breton, Altmer and Dunmer. Imperial NBs make great tanks though.

PvP: Imperial is a very good choice. The health bonus makes a remarkable difference in PvP. For a stamina build it would be even better.

My NB (see signature) is imperial, because as an Imperial Edition user I wanted to be "special" at least once. You won't have any issues to put all your attribute points into magicka at V16 while still having enough health while wearing a Mola Kena shoulder. You are able to play "glass cannon" without actually being a glass cannon. Your max magicka will be less as with a Breton, Altmer or Dunmer and a min/maxer might be bothered by that, nevertheless it makes just a small difference.

Race changes will come, so I wouldn't be worried. It might cost gold or crowns though.

My small lvl 11 Breton NB will replace my Imperial NB once and my Imperial NB will be a tank.