The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Does ZOS' stance against 'un-fun PVP' mean we won't be able to put hits on charas via DB?

WarrioroftheWind_ESO
WarrioroftheWind_ESO
✭✭✭✭
Exactly what it sounds like, I had the expectation of Dark Brotherhood operating in the sense that you would either be able to delve into a skill line that works specifically with the justice system to kill fellow players to fulfill contracts, or 'hire' a NPC elite to track down and murder someone. There's more than a few people who've made the grave error of earning my everlasting wrath in-game, and I'd happily sink 50, heck even 100k gold to pay a professional to put these unsavory players in their place.

Now you might say 'well just kill them in cyro'. Here's the thing. Alot of these players aren't in enemy factions. Hence why I'd prefer the middleman. I understood ZOS's original intentions for the justice system being that players couldn't just go willy-nilly ganking everyone in sight, or that you couldn't just 'arrest' someone if you saw them sneaking in the back of that merchant tent in Belkarth. Paramaters would have to have been established, similar to how bounties operated in Morrowind. If anyone remembers the "Larrius Varro tells a Story" quest, where you were tasked with 'taking out' members of a dunmer criminal syndicate, if you made the newbie mistake I did, you went in swinging and butchered EVERYONE in the corner club. The first time I did the quest I put a mark by Larrius so I could avoid the guards. Little did I know, but killing 5 npcs in a row puts a 'Death Warrant" on a player character. Meaning you cannot pay off your bounty at all, you will not be arrested and do time, you are considered KOS for the rest of the game (with the exception of console commands and reloading a save).

I do want ZOS to stick to their guns in the sense that there should be consequences for actions, but at the same time there have to be boundaries. I know more than a few people who made 'criminal' alts and just went to town on innocent NPCS, garnering themselves bounties in the octuple digits. Those players obviously can have no expectation of playing 'normally', and must forever resign themselves to living on the fringe of society.

I would like ZOS to find a way to work in 'PVEPVP', within reasonable paramaters. But ESO is already becoming 'dailyrific' as it is. if DB is going to release where you do daily quests to track down some bumpkin in Wayrest or Rawl'kha, that's not the DB I want. That's not the DB I think alot of people want. I want to be able to either pay gold outright or pay gold to buy 'components' from a 'merchant' to perform myself a little Black Sacrament and put out a contract for someone who has severely honked me off.

And you might say 'don't get mad, get even'. Well you can't gank members of your own faction in Cyro no matter how hard you try, and I prefer to take these people down a peg in a more creative fashion than more established-yet highly detestable and vulgar- methods
  • Toxic_Hemlock
    Toxic_Hemlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your idea would kill the game for many, myself included, faster than a heart attack.

If you could take out contracts on players in PvE land what is to stop you from putting said contract on anyone that you find "distasteful" and where would it end?

Don't like my armor.. contract
    Don't like my mount, or are jealous ... contract
    Don't think I did enough DPS.. contract
    Are having a bad day and I cast a shadow on you.. contract

A world wide PvP area is not why I play this game, and I may as well be playing WoW on a pvp server if that was my thing.
  • WarrioroftheWind_ESO
    WarrioroftheWind_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your idea would kill the game for many, myself included, faster than a heart attack.

If you could take out contracts on players in PvE land what is to stop you from putting said contract on anyone that you find "distasteful" and where would it end?

A world wide PvP area is not why I play this game, and I may as well be playing WoW on a pvp server if that was my thing.

Hence why there would have to be parameters. Perhaps make the cost extremely high so that it'd have to be something you'd only want to do once in awhile, or make it to where if enough 'requests' are made, then a contract would be issued. That ways players wouldn't have free reign to just kill whoever, but would have to abide by certain rules.
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hence why there would have to be parameters. Perhaps make the cost extremely high so that it'd have to be something you'd only want to do once in awhile, or make it to where if enough 'requests' are made, then a contract would be issued. That ways players wouldn't have free reign to just kill whoever, but would have to abide by certain rules.

A 1 week cooldown if you *** off a trade guild owner they can torture you forever with any price since they are that rich.
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • Toxic_Hemlock
    Toxic_Hemlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Excuse me, as I am new to this game, but are there not players with insane amounts of gold? I hear that some trading guilds have gold to burn and for them getting a few members to sign on at a whim would be easy. If they were to implement such a system, even if using a high amount of gold as a deterrent, I still would not feel as "safe" within PvE as I do now.
  • WarrioroftheWind_ESO
    WarrioroftheWind_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

A 1 week cooldown if you *** off a trade guild owner they can torture you forever with any price since they are that rich.

That reminds me of one jerkwad who sent me an angry tell when I sold a piece of Martial Knowledge back in the day to someone else for cheap, and they argued that they would've made a profit off of it then proceeded to brag about how they had 13 million gold. Well mister rich jerkwad, enjoy your 13 million gold.

But yes probably would have to be a severely long cd. Week, or heck maybe even a month. Though your chara should be 'killed' for a significant period of time, anywhere from an hour to several.
  • Decayed_Inside
    Decayed_Inside
    ✭✭✭✭
    I vote no for contracts in PVE. But in pvp I'm so down for that. It could be a member from any alliance you just put down gold and available agents get the contract. It would be awesome if say a member of your alliance was being a butthead you could just take out a contract on him. Get hate mail from someone you killed? Take a contract out on him and teach him to pipe down. You should have to preform the black sacrament too. After you kill someone in cyro a synergy pops up and you start stabbing the corpse. "Sweet mother sweet mother, send your child unto me for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    Edited by Decayed_Inside on January 31, 2016 4:59PM
  • WarrioroftheWind_ESO
    WarrioroftheWind_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I vote no for contracts in PVE. But in pvp I'm so down for that. It could be a member from any alliance you just put down gold and available agents get the contract. It would be awesome if say a member of your alliance was being a butthead you could just take out a contract on him. Get hate mail from someone you killed? Take a contract out on him and teach him to pipe down. You should have to preform the black sacrament too. After you kill someone in cyro a synergy pops up and you start stabbing the corpse. "Sweet mother sweet mother, send your child unto me for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"

That's another thing that's fairly vague. See from what I gather in established lore from Morrowind, the Dark Brotherhood is an Imperial-sanctioned assassin guild that is a offshoot of the more ancient Morag Tong from Morrowind. (Naryu Vivian from EP questline), and that the Tong was driven into hiding when inter-faction squabbling resulted in the assassinations of Emperor Reman III, his heir, and both Akaviri Potentates Versidue-Shaie and his son Savrian-Chorak. The Dark Brotherhood is considered to be far more unscrupulous, taking contracts for gold, whereas the Morag Tong abode by strict rules of honor and justice. (there is a quest in the Tribunal faction where a NPC agonizes over having to appeal to the Dark Brotherhood over the Tong because the Tong might consider the contract 'too dishonorable'). Oblivion and Skyrim introduced a larger split in their beliefs; DB reveres Sithis as its progenitor and god, claming to be the first, while the Tong is guided by Mephala.

I suppose we'll know more once DB is announced (Summer I'm assuming?), but I would like there to be options to get back at people. Because I used to be able to use my Crows Wood Whistle until ZOS took mah damb birds!

Give me back my GD crows ZOS!
  • Unsent.Soul
    Unsent.Soul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it could work like in GTA5. Their mercenaries were pretty cool, but if you were a moron you'd be buying a new car or respawning somewhere.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As much as I like ESO, this would make me stop playing - people with a tendency to grief other will just use that to put grief on random people in zones, which currently are to the most part grief-free. I am strictly against to introduce any pvp-content or hate-supporting features into PvE zones. ZOS will not do that, though, they know how to make money, that got clear to me, they won't implement something, what would drive their main audience away - and what the OP suggested would do that.
  • RoamingRiverElk
    RoamingRiverElk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be awesome if it was an opt-in system where you can't hire contracts or fill them without also being available as a target yourself.

But, as we know, it's not coming so... meh.
    Dalris Aalr - Magicka (Stamina) DK | Dalfish - Magicka Sorc | Dal Aalr - Magicka Warden | Dalrish - Mag/Stam NB | Irana Aalr - PvE Templar
  • NativeJoe
    NativeJoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Deltia puts out another bad guide...contract! hahahahahaha... implement this so we can have a more "creative" way... of dealing with unsatisfactory blabber mouths :open_mouth:
    650cp+ Sorcerer 100+ days /played
    Broken'Stick North American Server
    https://www.twitch.tv/trixytricks
  • jcasini222ub17_ESO
    jcasini222ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've always been hoping ZoS would implement something similar to the bounty hunter profession in SWG.

I would love to be able to go to a board pull a contract then begin the hunt. Note this may take days or I may fail. First stop at a tavern see if any news about your target is there, get some details, track track (come up dry first two locations) zero in on a third locale. Then its time for the dog to catch a sniff of your prey (clothing item acquired from inn or basket work with me), and the dog delivers stopping in a town square at attention... my mark is here.

Then on foot locate the player and collect the bounty. Or locate the player lose and the mark takes something from me.

Epic sandbox huntfest. Endless replays. Endless hunt. Woo woo

Yea its a pipe dream but I'd love it.
  • AFrostWolf
    AFrostWolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see what's wrong with adding in this system if it was Opt in. Doesn't bother anyone who doesn't want to participate.
  • TheTwistedRune
    TheTwistedRune
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, at least in PVE zones, I do not think anybody should be at risk from other players unless they choose to be. I can understand that PVP players want to do something different, which is fine. But turning ESO into what would be in effect a PVP server would drive away just as many people as would welcome it.

Money is not hard to come buy for most people, and nomination by numbers would be open to abuse.

A lot of dedicated PVP players I know are mystified by why many dedicated PVE players are so bothered by being killed in some form of PVE/PVP. I for one do my utmost not to die in game, ever. I have a level 49 Sorc who has yet to die and I'd like to keep it that way. Why? Because that's how I like to play. I've even deleted characters that have died. If there was a Hardcore mode I would use it exclusively.

We all have a right to play the game how we want to without interference. I understand its an MMO but the nature of these games is changing, with solo players and PVE only players becoming more and more prevalent.

I agree PVP players need a working IC/cyrodil and an equal share of content, but not at the expense of ruining PVE players experience.

Edited by TheTwistedRune on January 31, 2016 6:41PM
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the true secret about PvE. It's all about high reward, low risk. When you were playing the Dark Brotherhood quests in skyrim, you never thought for a minute that one of your assignments would actually kill you. You were the Dovahkiin, the little god of the world, and the entire story revolved around you.

PvE'ers want to look dangerous, making big scary looking orcs with names like "Gorek the BoneSplitter" and slaughter thousands of NPCs with ease but never be in any real danger or risk any real loss - just like skyrim. Gorek is terrified of setting foot in the Imperial City and actually getting ganked. But that is the majority of players in this game. It would make no sense for ZOS to allow PKing in a pve zone if it only caters to a small percentage of the game's population. I would rather they focus on PvP Arenas and Dueling anyway so the people that like fighting human opponents instead of easybutton braindead mobs will have something to do.
    Edited by Yolokin_Swagonborn on January 31, 2016 6:46PM
  • Heindrich
    Heindrich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha if I could use gold to get players killed... the rivers will run red with blood! >:)

... But that's not gonna happen, it would alienate all the PvE'ers and casuals.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the true secret about PvE. It's all about high reward, low risk. When you were playing the Dark Brotherhood quests in skyrim, you never thought for a minute that one of your assignments would actually kill you. You were the Dovahkiin, the little god of the world, and the entire story revolved around you.

PvE'ers want to look dangerous, making big scary looking orcs with names like "Gorek the BoneSplitter" and slaughter thousands of NPCs with ease but never be in any real danger or risk any real loss - just like skyrim. Gorek is terrified of setting foot in the Imperial City and actually getting ganked. But that is the majority of players in this game. It would make no sense for ZOS to allow PKing in a pve zone if it only caters to a small percentage of the game's population. I would rather they focus on PvP Arenas and Dueling anyway so the people that like fighting human opponents instead of easybutton braindead mobs will have something to do.

I think that same faction dueling should be implemented so that guilds can train their members properly instead that those have to learn it "on the job" in cyrrodil in an actual alliance fight. It would make sense to experience it before while your fellow guildies can tell you exactly what you did wrong and can instruct you how to improve - I think that's important and would help, but it should not just be a duel between 2 opponents, but as well same faction groups by the same reason of preparation for the actual battles in the Alliance war.

Edit: as a side note - some players just do not like the "get killed, respawn, rinse and repeat" thing which is so common in PvP content. PvE is more about surviving, not ongoingly dying. For me that is one of the reasons, why I rarely play shooters. Those are designed to die over and over again - I like survival and any death is painful to me, while for a hardcore PvPer this is just "respawn, rinse and repeat" - that is not any PvE-like.
    Edited by Lysette on January 31, 2016 6:55PM
  • Whatzituyah
    Whatzituyah
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't like a gm? Contract! *jk I bet it wouldn't work on them anyway*
  • TheTwistedRune
    TheTwistedRune
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a sweeping generalisation. And untrue in my opinion. You find PVE content easy? Good for you. Some people don't. Mocking PVE players just makes what you say less valid.
    Edited by TheTwistedRune on January 31, 2016 7:06PM