Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Coming from GW2 WvW still need some advice...

WeyounTM
WeyounTM
✭✭✭✭
Hey everyone,
I came back to ESO a couple of weeks ago when I really got fed up with the state of WvW / AvA and Guild Wars 2 in general. At first I enjoyed playing some nice PVE here again and created a new toon to get a feel for the combat system. So far I really enjoy being back in a TES game and a couple of days ago I first stepped into a Cyrodiil campaign as I never experienced it before I left at all.

I have been exclusively playing Word versus World in GW2, got really hooked with the community and playing with other guys/gals for "our" server Riverside. I even became a part-time commander/ group leader for our server.
With that in mind, stepping into Cyrodiil for the first time was kind of a shock. The huge map really boggled my mind, since the GW2 equivalent is tiny in comparison. But I thought...hey it will essentially be the same....so be a noob and just get on with it.

During my first 3 days I could see a lot of differences which i still need to get used to. Siege for one thing is totally different than what I knew from GW2. In GW2 only the commander places the siege and it has to be build with supplies that are carried by the players. So seeing so much siege being placed by all players around me was a surprise. Or that you have to repair the damage made to the structure after you have taken it....was surprising too.

Needless to say I then went to the siege merchant guy and bought some repairkits and siege and soulgems to be of some kind of use for my alliance/group B) .
But besides learning some basics as I went along... I still am kind of at a loss if I'm doing the right thing.

Concerning siege: should anyone really place and operate siege no matter what? Or should there always be enough people around defending the siege-user?

Communication always seems to be restricted to the zone or group chat. In GW2 nearly every "server"/faction uses a community teamspeak, even if not every player will use it. But it really is better for leading a group as a commander. Using the chat is a fundemental disadvantage I think...so are there any community teamspeak server for Azura Star / Dominion alliance....or are only guilds using these sort of things? I kinda miss yelling "Inc from behind" and talking to our guys while running around. And actually leading my group around.

Now fighting other players is still a real challenge for me. I have a V6 Nightblade and I have tried to use "proper" gear (hundings and nightmother) but I seem to really be at a loss to evaluate my damage output versus other players. Does my gear and my rank and those CP really matter so much that in the end my V6 stamina NB is just a twink and cannon fodder for everyone around?
I really don't mind dieing but I don't want to be a burden for my team also. So is blue V6 gear garbage while fighting with the "big boys"? Should I level my first toon to v16 instead and then come back with proper gear?

I really enjoy playing in Cyrodiil regardless. And I do believe that GW2 World v. World pales in comparison. If only the lags...but okay, GW2 has them too.

Anyway, I would really appreciate it if any of you could help a newbie out. Any yes....another NB running around in Azura. But: I made this toon way back when NB were really not that common and hated :D

Cu around and don't teabag my noob-corpse please

Magicka-Khajiit-Player since Beta

PC-EU Vivec Sotha Sil Campaign
Heals-your-Paws Khajiit Magplar - Main Char - AD (sadly)

Little-Miss-Hurricane - Khajiit -Stamsorc - DC
Saves-your-Paws - Khajiit MagDK - DC
Lucký-Paws - Khajiit StamDK - DC
Icy-Paws - Khajiit Magden - DC
White-Paws - Khajiit Stamblade - DC
Paws-of-the-Light - Khajiit Stamplar - DC
Adusa D'aro - Khajiit Stamplar - DC
Purrs-at-the-Moons - Khajiit Stamcro - DC
Necrotic-Paws - Khajiit Magcro - DC
White-Claws - Khajiit StamDK - AD
Sticky-Paws - Khajiit Stamplar - AD
Silent-Paws - Khajiit Magblade - AD

Hides-the-Skooma - Khajiit Stamden - EP
Protector-of-the-Mane - Khajiit Magplar -EP
Leaps-your-Paws - Khajiit MagDK - EP
  • Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Concerning sieges: with PUGs not using Teamspeak or Raidcall or any other form of voice group communication software, use siege at your discretion. If otherwise, follow crown's orders.

Fighting other players: I suggest you use purple armor all throughout your veteran rank levelling, and upgrade to legendary when you hit V16. In PvP you get Battle Level, a way of balancing your stats depending on all your attributes, armor and passives variables.

Use addons to visualize your incoming/outcoming damage and heals. Lui Extended is upgraded, there is also FTC, and some others than I don't know. Google em.

Have fun bro.

Edited by Prabooo on January 29, 2016 11:19AM
  • Nermy
    Nermy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WeyounTM wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    Concerning siege: should anyone really place and operate siege no matter what? Or should there always be enough people around defending the siege-user?

We use what we call 'active sieging', that is, you don't need to be on your siege weapon all the time. Fire it then run around healing, chucking out caltrops and defending the siege. Then when you see your treb loaded, go back fire, rinse and repeat.

Have fun mate... :)
    @Nermy
    Ex-Leader of The Wabbajack [EU EP PvP guild - Now stood down from active duty]
    BLOOD FOR THE PACT!!!

Nermden - EP Warden, Nerm-in'a'tor - EP Dragon Knight, N'erm - EP Sorcerer, D'arkness - EP Nightblade, Nermy - EP Templar

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” ― Oscar Wilde

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." -General George S. Patton
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now fighting other players is still a real challenge for me. I have a V6 Nightblade and I have tried to use "proper" gear (hundings and nightmother) but I seem to really be at a loss to evaluate my damage output versus other players. Does my gear and my rank and those CP really matter so much that in the end my V6 stamina NB is just a twink and cannon fodder for everyone around?
    I really don't mind dieing but I don't want to be a burden for my team also. So is blue V6 gear garbage while fighting with the "big boys"? Should I level my first toon to v16 instead and then come back with proper gear?

With the new battle levelling, this shouldn't be too much of a problem. If your gear is your level (or close), you should be fine. Don't forget the enchants though (which for a new player, might be a problem to make / get). 600-900 extra stamina per armor piece adds up.. and +weapon power on jewelry.

If you're completely alone out there.. pick your fights... as an NB you have that option. Afterall, you're up against people that have been playing the game much longer, so know the mechanics better, have better / higher level gear, more CP and might be playing a class that isn't an easy kill for a newbie NB.

Think most of us will laugh when we see old recordings from our own gameplay.
  • WeyounTM
    WeyounTM
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your replies. This active sieging sure was a surprise to see when I first witnessed it. Again, in GW2 it felt more static...and most people didn't like to use siege weapons at all. As a commander quite frustrating at times...to beg people to build and then use it.
    So the reload for trebs and the like is quite long? Otherwise leaving the siege in between shots wouldn't be viable. I will keep an eye out for that while I will deploy my own siege weapons now.

I ran around in a lot of PUGs these days. And while I had a hard time keeping track of the crowns movement (it isn't really that visible in the HUD compared to the GW2 equivalent) I really tried to stay close to the group leader at all times. Hence I really wished to be able to use Teamspeak or the likes with the group...it would make things so much easier.

I guess besides my relative poor gear i really have to keep learning the skills and when not to engage. I am used to have a healskill for every class in GW2, so being a relative squishy nightblade without a proper heal isn't easy for me in larger battles. I use swallow-soul for a bit of healing, but I guess that skill might actually be a noob trap. Any hints as to where my "healing" should come from?

My toon is very close to V7 now and I will then use at least purple gear from now on. Can't imagine how expensive that might be in the long run, but I will try my best. At least my mount is nearly at max level, so I have no prob keeping up with a group speedwise :p
    Again thanks for helping, I will rejoin the battlefield now as fresh cannon-fodder...

Hides-the-Skooma - Khajiit Stamden - EP
    Protector-of-the-Mane - Khajiit Magplar -EP
    Leaps-your-Paws - Khajiit MagDK - EP
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get healing from the resto staff or the 2h skill line, depending on whether you're magicka or stamina based.

The biggest difference between gw2 and ESO in terms of mass pvp is for sure the lack of the frontline/backline concept. There are no people in cloth that you can easily hunt down (if you can, they're bad.. well the same was also true for gw2, apart from the gvg stuff). Also the commander functionality is missed here. There are some guilds however that run open raids with ts, but nothing in comparison to gw2.
    Lairgren | DC Dragonknight - August Palatine
    playing for eXile

I'm done, CU somewhere else.
  • JaJaLuka
    JaJaLuka
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not so much your level that counts, it's the champion points that matter when it comes to straight up combat. It's strange that they added in the scaling system the way that they did, but from my experience (and I'm talking about general players here) if you are running more CP than the other guy, you're essentially more "levelled" than he is and at a huge advantage. As an example, my level 39 DK (arguable the weakest class in PvP right now) destroys newby (low CP players) veteran level characters even if they are V16.
    Not the greatest system imo, but it is what it is.
    Thankfully you'll have a little leeway on that because CPs are capped at the moment so you can catch up.
    Krojick, DC Sorc PC NA
    Milámber, EP Sorc PC NA
    Brunack, EP DK PC NA
    General Mark Shephard, EP Temp PC NA (Worst temp NA XD )
    Krojick Nightblade, DC NB PC NA
    Others...
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    as an aside...
    Black water blade campaign is the 1-50 one which will soon be Champion point free.
    There will also be one veteran campaign that will be CP free.

Voice comms is optional and you will need to join a guild that offers that.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on January 29, 2016 2:22PM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess besides my relative poor gear i really have to keep learning the skills and when not to engage. I am used to have a healskill for every class in GW2, so being a relative squishy nightblade without a proper heal isn't easy for me in larger battles. I use swallow-soul for a bit of healing, but I guess that skill might actually be a noob trap. Any hints as to where my "healing" should come from?

Magicka based specs, resto staff (Healing ward).
    Stamina based specs, 2H -> Rally, Assault -> Vigor

and ofcourse, block, dodge roll (medium armor gets reduced dodge roll cost), line of sight and other ways to not get hit in the first place.

Swallow soul on a stamina character isn't the best option, since it scales on magicka so will not be terribly efficient on a stamina character. Killer's Blade and Mark target are good options for NB.. requires the target to die get the heal though. (deathblow doesn't have to come from you)
  • Manoekin
    Manoekin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Papacrown addon increases the size of the crown icon or lets you change it to another icon if you'd prefer. Another one, Exterminatus I think, gives you an arrow indicator around your targeting reticle of which direction the crown is from you.

Stick with it and once you're max level (or even before then maybe) a guild will surely take you in. If you're in AD Azura's on NA you may have seen me in chat. The problem with chat isn't that it's bad for communicating through the faction, it's that most people just ignore it. If people listened to directions things would go a lot more smoothly, but instead they just like to do whatever they want.
  • WeyounTM
    WeyounTM
    ✭✭✭✭
    THX again for all replies. I will level the assault line ASAP since atm i play dual-wield/bow and haven't really got the hang of 2H combat again. The 2 mentioned addons will be checked out...since stickyness with you own leader is kinda hardwired into my thinking.
    I do have aquired some CP...guess around 45 at this moment. But I agree that it makes a huge difference if most of you are already at the CP cap, while us newbies or returning players are running around with no or few points. I will keep that in mind and will not get frustrated while leveling up myself. It is good to know that there will be a campaign without CPs though.

@Manoekin : I'm from Germany and hence play on the EU-server. But I guess I will eventually get to know important guys around AzuraEU too.

That being said, I really do enjoy playing ESO AvA and despite all the major flaws around (LAG being one of them)...it seems to be more interesting for me than GW2 WvW. I'm glad I tried it out again...
    Edited by WeyounTM on January 30, 2016 4:55AM