The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

What are "World Bosses"?

munkt0r
munkt0r
✭✭✭
Are they the skull & crossbones on the mini-map?

I'm doubting that because those guys are a joke.

I've tried to google a bit, but I keep getting videos of "HOW TO SOLO X WORLD BOSS"

I just wanted to know what I should look for on the map to determine where/what world bosses are.

Thanks in advance.
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    World bosses are the skull and crossbones and I think any of the bosses in imperial city including the unmarked flag bosses. Also the wrothgar ones are no joke especially that titan the unshakable root with kamikaze banekin=dead
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • munkt0r
    munkt0r
    ✭✭✭
    World bosses are the skull and crossbones and I think any of the bosses in imperial city including the unmarked flag bosses. Also the wrothgar ones are no joke especially that titan the unshakable root with kamikaze banekin=dead

Ok, so they ARE the skull & crossbones...kinda dissapointing in the 1-50 areas. Maybe i'll pickup the Wrothgar DLC when I hit Vet Ranks.

I'm currently 45th and highly underwhelmed by them.
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They became jokes after the Beta. (Because they were a bit over the top in the beta, but its like we're at the other end of the spectrum now)

Orsinium (the dlc) has found a good middle ground. You need to be 2-3 players to take down a World Boss in Wrothgar (minimum, except for min-maxers that find a way to specialize gear into taking down the boss solo)

We can expect future zones will all follow that mold. (hopefully!)
  • munkt0r
    munkt0r
    ✭✭✭
    They became jokes after the Beta. (Because they were a bit over the top in the beta, but its like we're at the other end of the spectrum now)

Orsinium (the dlc) has found a good middle ground. You need to be 2-3 players to take down a World Boss in Wrothgar (minimum, except for min-maxers that find a way to specialize gear into taking down the boss solo)

We can expect future zones will all follow that mold. (hopefully!)

Thanks for the info!

I bought the game at release, but I was a Destiny junkie at the time and have only now gotten into ESO as the Great Destiny Malaise is upon us haha.

My girlfriend and I started playing in November of 2015, which is right after Orsinium DLC released I think, but I haven't picked it up yet.

I wasn't sure if I was just really good at building my PVE char or if the bosses were super easy. Dungeons are the only thing i'm finding a bit challenging at the moment, but I think that's mostly due to group finder not always giving me the...primest of partners =)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    munkt0r wrote: »

Ok, so they ARE the skull & crossbones...kinda dissapointing in the 1-50 areas. Maybe i'll pickup the Wrothgar DLC when I hit Vet Ranks.

There are usually two bosses per zone that are challenging to do Solo, or even in a small group. However the others can be solo'd fairly easy if you pay attention to mechanics. Wrothgar Bosses, better bring a super tight group of 4 to 6 or more if they are pug as most groups for world bosses are up there.

Two nights ago I duo'd a World Boss in Wrothgar with my weak useless Templar (weak and useless according to the responses to other thread of yours :# ). Ironically, it was a pug with another Templar.
    Edited by Nestor on January 27, 2016 4:11PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• munkt0r
    munkt0r
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

There are usually two bosses per zone that are challenging to do Solo, or even in a small group. However the others can be solo'd fairly easy if you pay attention to mechanics. Wrothgar Bosses, better bring a super tight group of 4 to 6 or more if they are pug as most groups for world bosses are up there.

Two nights ago I duo'd a World Boss in Wrothgar with my weak useless Templar (weak and useless according to the responses to other thread of yours :# ). Ironically, it was a pug with another Templar.

HA!

Yes, quite weak and useless according to the community. I'm trusting people were accurate as it applies to PVP but for PVE I feel like a boss myself as a Templar.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

HA!

Yes, quite weak and useless according to the community. I'm trusting people were accurate as it applies to PVP but for PVE I feel like a boss myself as a Templar.

PvP is a different playstyle and you can do OK as a Templar if you limit what you try to do. However if you try to play them like the other characters, it will be an awakening. Stick with Healing in Keep Defence and things like that. I have taken my Templar over there a few times and it's fun, but I am not a PvP'r so I stick to Healing when I am there.

Trials are another issue entirely, Max DPS with Resource Management is the goal there. To get competitive times, you need the most DPS possible over time. But, using Trials to justify a build for everything else in the game is like using the Indy 500 to justify how a car needs to be for driving to the store.

• munkt0r
    munkt0r
    ✭✭✭

HA!

PvP is a different playstyle and you can do OK as a Templar if you limit what you try to do. However if you try to play them like the other characters, it will be an awakening. Stick with Healing in Keep Defence and things like that. I have taken my Templar over there a few times and it's fun, but I am not a PvP'r so I stick to Healing when I am there.

Trials are another issue entirely, Max DPS with Resource Management is the goal there. To get competitive times, you need the most DPS possible over time. But, using Trials to justify a build for everything else in the game is like using the Indy 500 to justify how a car needs to be for driving to the store.

HA!

I like that analogy.

What i've read for trials is that it's VR14 max.

With dungeons, if you're a VR16 char, you get VR16 gear right? Does that mean in trials/raids you only get max VR14 gear?

If so...why bother other than the challenge and comraderie with friends?
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Normal world bosses are a joke. There are a handful or tricky ones. The wearwolf trio in Glenmore if you're DC are hare as you're like level 6 or 7. There's 3 in a tower in riverside that are hard, basically die unless you properly line of sight them.

Wrothgar ones are a bit of joke. I've soloed 3 of them and did unfinished dolmen with one more person. Really wish they absolutely needed 3-4 people minimum. You can solo them by just line of sighting
    Edited by Brrrofski on January 27, 2016 5:29PM
  • munkt0r
    munkt0r
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what "line of sighting" means...

Is that basically kiting? Or are you talking about trapping enemies on game geometry while you keep them in sight and nuke to death?
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Is that basically kiting? Or are you talking about trapping enemies on game geometry while you keep them in sight and nuke to death?

Some enemies are stationery. Like mages and archers. So you just drag the melee guys around a tree or rock and deal with them without being hit from range.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

HA!

I like that analogy.

What i've read for trials is that it's VR14 max.

With dungeons, if you're a VR16 char, you get VR16 gear right? Does that mean in trials/raids you only get max VR14 gear?

If so...why bother other than the challenge and comraderie with friends?

The other trials in the game are slated to be scaled up. However Maelstrom is VR16. Or it should be as people are currently chasing the weapons that drop from that place. Maelstrom is the only Solo Trial, the other ones are 4 and 12 player.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Line of Sight means the enemy has to be able to see you to target you.

This also applies to your character for some skills. And, this is not always apparent, but it's not your line of site as you are playing the game, but the character's line of site. For example, you can be going up a set of stairs and see the mob you want to attack, but your skills don't fire. This is because your camera is above your character so you see more. If you move the camera down to the characters head then you can't see the mobs anymore, hence you can't fire off a skill.

• munkt0r
    munkt0r
    ✭✭✭

Brrrofski wrote: »

Some enemies are stationery. Like mages and archers. So you just drag the melee guys around a tree or rock and deal with them without being hit from range.

Sounds dangerously close to glitching your way through an encounter...
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

or!
    in real life we call this Taking Cover, or Finding Cover...
    the Archer can't fire around the corner while you make quick work of the Fighter.
    :smile:

& this can also work the other way, where you make the Watcher come around the corner to keep you in line of sight for his killing stare, and you can fight it alone before you take on its three humanoid pals up the hall.
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Only Zandanudoz actually requires a big group. He insta-kills so many peops with his AoEs, its crazy....

Otherwise the riekling king can be a bit annoying (he does hit rather hard) and the poachers can get you swarmed easily so for those two a group of 4-6 is better, but all the others are a good fight for 2-3 players. (and a joke with big groups)
  • munkt0r
    munkt0r
    ✭✭✭
    Pheefs wrote: »

or!
    in real life we call this Taking Cover, or Finding Cover...
    the Archer can't fire around the corner while you make quick work of the Fighter.
    :smile:

& this can also work the other way, where you make the Watcher come around the corner to keep you in line of sight for his killing stare, and you can fight it alone before you take on its three humanoid pals up the hall.

I'm assuming by the original explanation that the mob will not move to gain line of sight and merely "waits".

Similar to messing with pathing for advantage in other MMO's (EQ comes to mind).

Which is why I said "dangerously close" - not literally is.

Since we're going to "RL example" -- In real life people could take a few steps to the left or right to re-acquire LoS and continue shooting at range =)

Do the mobs do that? Or do they just stand there?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm assuming by the original explanation that the mob will not move to gain line of sight and merely "waits".

Do the mobs do that? Or do they just stand there?

Oh no, they come looking for you.

What can happen though with the new line of sight that is odd, if you can drop a spell on a mob that is standing next to another one, but not aggro the mob right next to it, as they can't see you. Before the LoS changes, if you aggro'd one mob, 99% of the time you aggro'd all the mobs near that one. Near meaning right next to them, not a distance away like when they patrol.

Now it is possible to aggro one mob out of a group, but it is hit or miss if you get the others. Usually you get the others, unless there are structures or objects that can block the LoS. This can be a table or chairs or a rock.

Edited by Nestor on January 27, 2016 11:01PM

• Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is very much the nature of today's ESO. World Bosses in the 1-50 areas can prove to be quite the pushover for many people. It sounds like, despite being a relatively new player, you have grasped the basic concepts of this game pretty well. If you have the damage output and the survivability (e.g. moving out of bad mechanics, or using self-buffs to increase resistances or dodge) it can definitely make you feel underwhelmed by these guys.

A bit of insight into these guys: back in the post-launch days, going solo against even 2-3 trash mobs was almost guaranteed suicide. This is the absolute truth; the vast majority of the community was struggling against average mobs. This came with cries from the community for help from ZOS, who in turn scaled the difficulty of these mobs. With that scale-back, virtually everything became much easier.

I completely understand the sentiment that these guys should be challenging, or at the very least require a group. For many people, making them more difficult would add challenge, and provide a much greater experience for them. But we do also have to consider that many people still find them challenging, and if there's going to be something that a player struggles with, it's better for them to face it in something like a veteran zone, as opposed to very early on where they may be discouraged from trying again.
  • munkt0r
    munkt0r
    ✭✭✭
    Autolycus wrote: »

This is very much the nature of today's ESO. World Bosses in the 1-50 areas can prove to be quite the pushover for many people. It sounds like, despite being a relatively new player, you have grasped the basic concepts of this game pretty well. If you have the damage output and the survivability (e.g. moving out of bad mechanics, or using self-buffs to increase resistances or dodge) it can definitely make you feel underwhelmed by these guys.

A bit of insight into these guys: back in the post-launch days, going solo against even 2-3 trash mobs was almost guaranteed suicide. This is the absolute truth; the vast majority of the community was struggling against average mobs. This came with cries from the community for help from ZOS, who in turn scaled the difficulty of these mobs. With that scale-back, virtually everything became much easier.

I completely understand the sentiment that these guys should be challenging, or at the very least require a group. For many people, making them more difficult would add challenge, and provide a much greater experience for them. But we do also have to consider that many people still find them challenging, and if there's going to be something that a player struggles with, it's better for them to face it in something like a veteran zone, as opposed to very early on where they may be discouraged from trying again.

Well, i'm not new to MMO's or videogames in general so that likely gave me a bit of a heads up. I get that forums often drive buffs/nerfs to gameplay, I was just surprised at how easy they seemed.

Perusing the forums, i've read a few times that quite a bit of the gameplay was different at launch to where it is now, but that's to be expected in a dynamic world getting updated by developers.

I've only done 1 class so far (templar) and i've focused on making him a tank. I find in most RPG / MMO type games a fighter archetype will teach you most of the basic to advanced mechanics and allow you to get a strong feel for a game's overall design without having to constantly worry too much about survivability.

Once I master Templar, i'll look into creating what tends to be the weakest, a pure caster archetype (sorceror).

Thanks though for all that feedback.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

There's no glitching. I'm just moving to an area some enemies choose not to follow. They are set to keep distance. If you get close they back off.

Not my fault they are afraid to fight me behind a tree :)

Bur seriously, it's a legit tactic.
  • munkt0r
    munkt0r
    ✭✭✭

There's no glitching. I'm just moving to an area some enemies choose not to follow. They are set to keep distance. If you get close they back off.

Trust, i'm not hating on you - I just personally choose to not engage in tactics/strategies that involve abusing AI mechanics or pathing. For me, it's stripping challenge from intended gameplay. I always feel dirty afterwards haha.

I like to enter a fight knowing it was hard and I overcame it somehow, not that I found a cheesy way to beat the enemy because of limitations within software design.

• Alabyn
    Alabyn
    ✭✭✭

Trust, i'm not hating on you - I just personally choose to not engage in tactics/strategies that involve abusing AI mechanics or pathing. For me, it's stripping challenge from intended gameplay. I always feel dirty afterwards haha.

I like to enter a fight knowing it was hard and I overcame it somehow, not that I found a cheesy way to beat the enemy because of limitations within software design.

On the contrary, I always thought the developers were encouraging players to use environmental cover, as well as gauge enemy tactics and abilities. While it's largely a matter of play style, I for one will not hesitate to bash the healer, kite melee behind a tree, and leave the ranged guy looking baffled.
  • MarrazzMist
    MarrazzMist
    ✭✭✭✭

Little of topic, but is it possible Wrothgar bosses are already easier as they were at the beginnig? I remember even big groups having trouble back then. Yesterday we finished boss in four person PUG fast and easy, I was on my vet 6 healer, others propably vet 16..
  • munkt0r
    munkt0r
    ✭✭✭
    Alabyn wrote: »

On the contrary, I always thought the developers were encouraging players to use environmental cover, as well as gauge enemy tactics and abilities. While it's largely a matter of play style, I for one will not hesitate to bash the healer, kite melee behind a tree, and leave the ranged guy looking baffled.

Unfortunately, I think this particular part of the convo got off track a bit as I was misunderstanding what the above poster was saying and potentially misconstrued intent.

If previous MMO's i've played (EQ for example) you could abuse enemy pathing. Basically if you knew what paths the mobs were scripted to follow and found the specific pathing lines - you could "trap" enemies on geometry or get them to run back and forth and never be able to reach you - all the while damaging them from distance.

That is the "abuse" I spoke of.

• NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    [
    Little of topic, but is it possible Wrothgar bosses are already easier as they were at the beginnig? I remember even big groups having trouble back then. Yesterday we finished boss in four person PUG fast and easy, I was on my vet 6 healer, others propably vet 16..

I don't think they've been nerfed, it's just that we've all learned the mechanics and routine so well by now. Nothing in those encounters varies from the script.

Unfortunately it seems PUGs for world bosses in Orsinium keep getting bigger and bigger, even full raids. 6-7 is plenty for an easy, fast kill.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think most of it is people now realize that Red really means Dead with the World Bosses up there.