Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Barbaric, Wood Elf, Primal or Argonian?

BashMegaMoth
BashMegaMoth
✭✭
Hello all!

I am obsessed with gear that looks savage-y and tribal and play a young Argonian lad. I'm very fond of the tribal-like gear of the Argonian Style, but would like to find out more about Wood Elf, Barbaric and Primal styles. I have a couple of questions involving appearance and availability of these motifs.

First of all, what are your opinions on these four styles? What looks most fitting for a male Argonian character, which has the most esthetic value?
And secondly, Wood Elf motifs are easily gotten. But what about Primal and Barbaric? They cost as much as Kuta! Is there a way I can get my hands on these motifs without having to pay as much as 10.000?

Thank you all in advance!
Also, this is the character I'm referring to.
GdECQe8.png
"Every insult and every slight must be repayed in kind.''
  • EsoRecon
    EsoRecon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BashMegaMoth Just buy them from the crown store if you don't want to spend gold. And I prefer the Wood Elf style out of the ones you mentioned.
    Xbox One [ NA ]
    Gamertag - Zyzz II Legacy
    Stam Sorc & Stam NB PvP
    (I'm Just Here To 1vX)
  • BabeestorGor
    BabeestorGor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Recomend you take a look at the armour styles over at eso-fashion.com/
    Babeester Gor is the Axe Goddess, the Implacable Anger, the Avenging Daughter and the Earth Guardian.
    Vriddi gra-Yildnarz, Dragonknight and Smith
    Myrvanwe, Sorcerer and Enchanter
    Tsajirra, Nightblade and Clothier
    Vilvyni Indarys, Dragonknight and Woodworker
    Arielle Alouette, Templar and Provisioner
    Fishes in Troubled Waters, Nightblade and Alchemist
    Shanika Some Long Title I'd Change If I Could, Templar and Aspirant Jeweller
    Pippi Longhorn, Nightblade, Ne'er-do-well, and "Tribute" character
    EU PC.
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    When debating on styles like this I usually go look at the examples found on esofashion.com and usually end up with a mash-up of styles to get just the right look for a character. I have to say out of those Bosmer is also my favorite. Which weight are you looking to use, light, medium, or heavy?

They all seem to show more skin and look less refined at the lower levels. Higher levels may loose some of the primitive look as they become more complicated and more fully covering, which may be a bit disappointing.

Barbaric looks the least refined to me, there's more rough edges, less styling I'd say. It looks the most like something for someone who likes to rough it and is more about power than image.

Argonian has more embellishment with what looks like beads or embroidery and feathers. To me it can kind of look a bit too frilly in a way for a guy, even though it still looks primitive/tribal. Also there are some white parts that don't dye which seemed to me like they really ought to since they don't look like bone. The style has more square shapes than the others here.

Bosmer looks a bit more refined in style, even though it still has some bone embellishments. I personally like the overlapping, layered effect of the medium armor. The low V-neck on the iron cuirass is a bit girly in my opinion, but the collar on the higher level heavy looks less primitive. This style has a combination of curves and points.

Primal, like bosmer, seems like a mixture of refined styling with primitive bone embellishments. There seems to be more long narrow pointy/spikey shapes on this style which may give a more sharp or evil impression. It also has association with goblins. It seems to be easier to find style materials for this than it is for Barbaric.

Barbaric and Primal can of course be looted in veteran zones, but it will most likely be faster to try to make the gold to buy one from a guild store rather than searching nightstands etc. The looted/guild store ones will require you to have a fairly high number of points invested in one of the three crafts metalworking, woodworking, or tailoring. Primal is 6 points at level 25, Barbaric is 7 points at level 30. If you buy the crown store versions then you won't have the craft level restriction and can start using it right away. If you are a lower level character you will probably need to buy copper for barbaric, you might find enough primal things to deconstruct to get enough argentum but may need to buy it from guild stores as well. There is also the possibility of asking in your guilds or zone chat if someone could craft the items you want for you if you can't yet obtain or use one of the rare motifs.
    Edited by Aelthwyn on January 24, 2016 10:41PM
  • BashMegaMoth
    BashMegaMoth
    ✭✭
    First of all, I'd like to thank all of you for giving me this amazing site called ESO Fashion. It is exactly what I needed. And also, thanks for your opinions and views, it helps!

Yesterday night I finally reached Veteran Rank 1 on my first character, after a month and a half. (Been spending too much time Real Lifing, haha.) The Veteran areas are amazing in look and atmosphere, I'm astounded by the game once again.

I've also been to this ESO Fashion website now, but I don't really understand it. When I go the Argonian section, it gives me sets and images, but the sets aren't labeled logically. For example, one is called Argonian Flint, but the Flint is the style material for Argonian. Others are named by their materials. Could anyone clarify this for me? Are there different style materials for the same style?
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've also been to this ESO Fashion website now, but I don't really understand it. When I go the Argonian section, it gives me sets and images, but the sets aren't labeled logically. For example, one is called Argonian Flint, but the Flint is the style material for Argonian. Others are named by their materials. Could anyone clarify this for me? Are there different style materials for the same style?

They are a bit confusing particularly for Argonian as the game uses some different names for Argonian things that don't fit the rest of the system. The pictures are grouped by Level, though the stacks are out of order, and each level uses a different level-based material + the same style material - Flint.

Normal -> "Argonian"
    1-14 Iron / Jute / Rawhide -> "Flint" / "Shrike/Chukar" / "Anole/Gecko"
    16-24 Steel / Linen / Hide -> "Vede" / "Lory/Whydah" / "Gavial/Iguana"
    26-34 Orichalcum / Cotton / Leather -> "Chert" / "Macaw/Parrot" / "Alligator/Caiman"
    36-44 Dwarven / Spidersilk / Thick Leather -> "Whinstone" / "Ibis/Kingfisher" / "Crocodile/Komodo"
    46-50 Ebony / Ebonthread / Fell Hide -> "Obsidian" / "Quetzal" / "Largosuchas"
    Vet 1-3 Calcinium / Kresh / Topgrain Hide -> Calcinium / Kresh / "Brigandine"

The rest of the levels appear to retain the same names as other styles

Vet 4-6 Galatite / Ironthead / Iron Hide
    Vet 7-8 Quicksilver / Silverweave / Superb Hide
    Vet 9-14 Voidstone / Void Cloth / Shadow Hide
    Vet 15-16 Rubedite / Ancestor Silk / Rubedo Leather
    You mine or harvest these in the zones that correspond to that level. When harvesting, the materials will all have the same name, the special argonian names may only appear on the finished crafted item, so you won't have to search for 'chert' ore, a 'chert' cuirass would be made from orichalcum ore.
    Edited by Aelthwyn on January 25, 2016 9:27PM
  • BabeestorGor
    BabeestorGor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think Argonain and Bosmer both look good, with Argonian having a more decorative look, more suited to a shamen than a scout or warrior. Haven't played around with Primal or Barbaric enough.
    Babeester Gor is the Axe Goddess, the Implacable Anger, the Avenging Daughter and the Earth Guardian.
    Vriddi gra-Yildnarz, Dragonknight and Smith
    Myrvanwe, Sorcerer and Enchanter
    Tsajirra, Nightblade and Clothier
    Vilvyni Indarys, Dragonknight and Woodworker
    Arielle Alouette, Templar and Provisioner
    Fishes in Troubled Waters, Nightblade and Alchemist
    Shanika Some Long Title I'd Change If I Could, Templar and Aspirant Jeweller
    Pippi Longhorn, Nightblade, Ne'er-do-well, and "Tribute" character
    EU PC.
  • Peel_Ya_Cap_517
    Peel_Ya_Cap_517
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love the Barbaric style, especially the light armor. My Argonian looks a lot like yours, actually, and I'm planning on making Barbaric for him. It will make them look like a crazy lizard that wears bear pelts and gathers human skulls!
    N64 NA EP
  • xerasia
    xerasia
    ✭✭✭
    OoOooOooOoohhHhh - I like the look of your character a lot! Another vote for Barbaric here. And yeah, they are rare drops so if you've got the crowns that will be the fastest way because you'll also need to farm or buy the stle mat.
    Xerasia - Bosmer Magicka Templar | NA EP
    Galasha - Orc Stamina Dragonknight | NA EP
    Haileigha - Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | NA EP
    Zaxaria - lvl 21 Argonian I don't even know what to do with this one Nightblade | NA EP
  • BashMegaMoth
    BashMegaMoth
    ✭✭
    I've recently taken up silver pledges and a new world within ESO opened; competitive PvE. What's more stylish than burying a greatsword in the chest of a boss while wearing fancy, shiny armor? These pledges should raise my chances of getting rare motifs. I've got some friends who know the styles so before I actually get them, I'll ask them.

Probably shouldn't aks this here, but where should I put my champion/skill points in when I'm an Argonian Dragonknight tank? I play One handed n shield + bow!
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The primal and barbaric motif are cheap. 10,000 is cheap. Save crowns for glass or ancient Orc or spiffy mounts.

I don't care for argonian armor, but their swords look bad ass! Like a giant hedge trimmer. I like imperial axes, and Dwemmers mace/hammers.

10k is like 3 days of crafting writs rewards. Fairly cheap for an entire motif. Or you could sell some kuta or a couple
    Repora, temper etc.
  • BashMegaMoth
    BashMegaMoth
    ✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    The primal and barbaric motif are cheap. 10,000 is cheap. Save crowns for glass or ancient Orc or spiffy mounts.

I don't care for argonian armor, but their swords look bad ass! Like a giant hedge trimmer. I like imperial axes, and Dwemmers mace/hammers.

10k is like 3 days of crafting writs rewards. Fairly cheap for an entire motif. Or you could sell some kuta or a couple
    Repora, temper etc.
    A hedge trimmer, haha. Now that you say it...
    Argonian-Orichalc-Greatsword-Fine.jpg
  • OmniDevil
    OmniDevil
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not particularly fond of Primal, Barbaric or Argonian styles, but I do like the Bosmer styles.
    Rogue's Gallery (EP)(NA)(XB1)

Proud Member and Officer
    We’re recruiting for our ESO (Xbox One) Chapter
    ESO Application: Apply Here
    Homepage: http://www.roguesgalleryguild.com/
    TF Guild Page: http://tamrielfoundry.com/groups/rogues-gallery/
    Character List
    "Varyn Wryn" cp427 Nord Templar (Magicka DPS/Healer)
    "Maelis Artorius" cp427 Redguard Dragonknight (Stamina DPS)
    "Arius the Shade" cp427 Khajiit Nightblade (Stamina DPS)
    "Astalor Bloodsworn" Level 7 Altmer Sorcerer (Magicka DPS)
  • nbksaske
    nbksaske
    ✭✭✭
    its rare but i luckily found the barbaric motif in a draw in the dc bank :D if you dont wanna spend gold or real cash, be patient and look in everything :)
  • OmniDevil
    OmniDevil
    ✭✭✭✭
    Barbaric on XB1/NA isn't that expensive anymore. I've seen them go as low as 13k-15k.
    Rogue's Gallery (EP)(NA)(XB1)

Proud Member and Officer
    We’re recruiting for our ESO (Xbox One) Chapter
    ESO Application: Apply Here
    Homepage: http://www.roguesgalleryguild.com/
    TF Guild Page: http://tamrielfoundry.com/groups/rogues-gallery/
    Character List
    "Varyn Wryn" cp427 Nord Templar (Magicka DPS/Healer)
    "Maelis Artorius" cp427 Redguard Dragonknight (Stamina DPS)
    "Arius the Shade" cp427 Khajiit Nightblade (Stamina DPS)
    "Astalor Bloodsworn" Level 7 Altmer Sorcerer (Magicka DPS)
  • BashMegaMoth
    BashMegaMoth
    ✭✭
    As I'm rising the veteran ranks, so does my gold increase explosively. I can finally afford to get some styles. Is about time, though. I've been playing for a month and a half, full time. xD
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Repora, temper etc.

the 2H is the best of all Argonian motif!!!
  • BashMegaMoth
    BashMegaMoth
    ✭✭
    altemriel wrote: »

Repora, temper etc.

the 2H is the best of all Argonian motif!!!

I did some research. Apparently these weapons are called MaquaHuitl and were either military or ceremonial blades in Aztec civilization, used during warfare or sacrificial rituals. It was obsidian or another sharp gesmtone they used as the blade. Man, I love those blades too, thinking about making one myself in real life. So cool!