The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What group buffs/sustain skills do you like to have from a Templar healer?

Syrani
Syrani
✭✭✭✭
Hey all,
My main is a Templar healer, and I came back to the game a few months ago after taking a break before IC came out. As you know, the healing meta changed during that time, and healers are now expected to provide some group buffs and sustain abilities. Until recently, I have been running pug groups for pledges, so I didn't get much feedback as to what my group would have liked me to provide.

I usually use either Siphon Spirit, Elemental drain, or Mystic Orb for magicka sustain, and I use Luminous Shards (sometimes I use Repentance instead) for stamina. I have one more slot on my "buff/support" bar in which I can slot another group buff. I have been using Purifying Light for the group spell damage buff, and also for a bit of improved group DPS, but is there something better you can recommend? I have tried Combat Prayer and it's ok, but it would be much better and more efficient if it had a cone affect instead of a straight line. However, I would be willing to run this if it makes a decent amount of difference.

For reference, here is what my bars usually look like:

Resto (main)

1) Healing Springs
2) Breath Of Life
3) Purifying Ritual
4) Channeled Focus
5) Inner Light

*With "not so good" groups, I usually spend most of my time on this bar.
**I could probably get rid of Purifying Ritual for something more beneficial, but it is nice to have, especially if lag is bad.

Resto/Destro (off hand)

1) Purifying Light (and sometimes Mystic Orb)
2) Breath Of Life
3) Elemental Drain/Siphon Spirit
4) Luminous Shards
5) Inner Light

*With good groups, I usually spend most of my time on this bar.

**Due to weapon swap lag, I am not comfortable only having BoL on one bar, so I want to keep that on both, and inner light needs to be on both.

At any rate, if you could let me know which buffs you would prefer, or which ones you don't ever want to be without, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
S.
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would scrap both Purifying Ritual + Channelled Focus, to make more space. Templar skills becoming less and less useful sadly.

Basically there's no VR16 content where you even need to pro'c Focused Healing lol.

If a fight actually needs purifying, which is rare, than go can slot Purifying Ritual or Efficient Purge.

You should be able to maintain your magicka even when loosing the roughly 480 recovery you gain from keeping up the rune.

Slot Repentance instead, gives 10% recovery passive and extremtely useful even if no stam builds in the group. There's no stam recovery while blocking now and magicka builds+tank still jams down block like mad on trash. Also free healing.

Space for Regeneration is a must if you're planning on using Spellpower Cure set or the Maelstrom resto. Enjoy running vWGT at least 100+ times.

Than there's the Elemental Drain/Siphon Spirit/Mystical Orb dilemma or drama. Which one to use? Dps is so magicka starved atm. Templars+NB wants Siphon Spirit and sorc+DK screams for Elemental Drain and the tank wants the Orb :dizzy: Sometimes I run all 3 skills just to stop the bitching.

Rarely use Healing Springs, not many fights where AoE healing is needed other than some older VR dungeons.

Combat Prayer if the dps knows how to stack. Usually they have no clue :cold_sweat:

I also use BoL on both bars in dungeons like vWGT, CoA and vICP, otherwise someone dies every single time my weapon swap fails.

Radiant Oppression is nice to help execute bosses, if you have space. But I think Purifying Light is better overall dps and for proc'ing minor sorcery, since you always have to cancel the Beam to heal some dude standing in red.

Also use Aggressive Warhorn ulti and everyone is happy.
  • Syrani
    Syrani
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. I appreciate the response!

I forgot to mention that I don't PVP, so I don't have those skills. I may have to bite the bullet and do it though because Warhorn and Barrier would be nice.

As for Healing Springs, I have found that I rarely use that anymore except a few circumstances. I use it on pull - as the tank runs in, I hang back a second to let him get agro, and I throw down some Healing Springs on him as he is running in. I also use it on certain fights where we stack. That being said, I could swap it out for something else for most of the run, and just put it back on if we come to a stack fight.

I know exactly what you mean about Siphon/Drain/Orb. I almost never get a group that only one of those would be perfect for. Personally, I like Drain better due to it being instant cast, but like you said, it's only good for Sorcs and DK's (the magicka regen part, anyway). The cast time on Siphon makes it less efficient, plus it can be a bit scary in certain situations, but everyone benefits from it regardless of what type of damage they do.

As for Channeled Focus, I have noticed that my sustain is MUCH better now than it used to be, so I could replace that and maybe put Repentance there or Siphon (since it would be on my resto bar). Then I could also run Drain on my destro, even if it's just for the spell resistance debuff on the enemy.

Thanks again! You have given me some good ideas!
    S.
  • Nax
    Nax
    ✭✭✭
    When running with PuGs, I always ask what my Tank and DPS would like me to slot as far as support skills go as those skills should change depending on what you are working with. The ones that I rotate most frequently are Ele Drain, Orbs, Healing Springs and the "oh ***" Ward Ally/Healing Ward, depending on what is best. I always have Repentance slotted when adds will be apelenty as it's a free heal/stam regen, and always have Shards on one if my bars-- If nothing else, those are the two skills that I think should be constants in any setup. In the cases where my PuGs are clueless, I will make a point to note what kind of builds they are running-- stam or magicka-- and adjust my bars accordingly. Usually after the first trash pull, I can tell what my group will need most, be it more heals/support, or if I trust them enough to the point where I feel comfortable contributing more with DPS.

TL;DR When running with randoms, I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all style of support role to be played. Ask what your group will benefit from most and use your own judgment calls.

I love PuGs. ♡
    Edited by Nax on January 24, 2016 3:33PM