The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Wrothgar or Orsinium?

Enodoc
Enodoc
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
It appears that ZOS have started referring to the new zone "Wrothgar" more frequently as "Orsinium", and I was wondering if there was some reasoning behind that, or if I'm just reading in to it too much. From what we know from lore, Orsinium is an Orc city and it is located within the Wrothgarian Mountains. Orsinium is also the name of the Orcish political entity ruled by King Kurog which is a part of the Daggerfall Covenant, while Wrothgar is the name of the geographical region within which the Orsinium territory lies.

Therefore, assuming the new zone includes the entire geographical region, Wrothgar is the more appropriate name. If the new zone only includes the city and the territory controlled by Kurog, then Orsinium is the more appropriate name. Thoughts?
UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • goldin88
    goldin88
    Soul Shriven
    I think they have renamed it Orsinium because I think its going to be purely just the Orsinium territory unless they split it in 2 like they did with lower and upper Craglorn but your assumptions are entirly sound :)
    Officer - Magikal
    Goldin - Imperial - DK - Tank - Master Crafter - All Equipment & Consumables
    Goldi-Locks - Khajiit - NB - DPS
    Goldi G - Breton - Templar - Healer
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I figured they changed the zone name to Orsinium because that would be more recognizable to the fanbase. I guess we'll find out when it comes out.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Xinz'r
    Xinz'r
    ✭✭✭
    goldin88 wrote: »
    I think they have renamed it Orsinium because I think its going to be purely just the Orsinium territory unless they split it in 2 like they did with lower and upper Craglorn but your assumptions are entirly sound :)

+1

▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
    JOIN BLACKROSE CARTEL!
    ▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    goldin88 wrote: »
    Yeah that's possible, but they did also say that the basic plot of the Wrothgar storyline would be about King Kurog's membership in the Covenant vs. the Orcs who are devout followers of Malacath. That's essentially the Orsinium city Orcs vs. the Wrothgar countryside Orcs, so both aspects of the zone need to be there for that storyline to work.
    I figured they changed the zone name to Orsinium because that would be more recognizable to the fanbase. I guess we'll find out when it comes out.
    Possibly, but the other zone names are mostly made up for ESO as well; it's the cities within the zones with the recognisable names (everyone's heard of Wayrest and Shornhelm, but where did Stormhaven and Rivenspire come from?). Orsinium is the recognisable name, so it should be kept for the city within the region, as the lore says it is.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is very much closer now, so I thought I'd update this with my current belief of how it will work:
    • The City will be called Orsinium, because that's its name.
    • The Zone will be called Wrothgar, since it covers the majority of the Wrothgar mountains and is not composed of just the city. Parallel to that, the datamined maps and loading screens for the zone are all called Wrothgar, and Wrothgar has already been established as a region in ESO's existing background lore.
    • The DLC will be called Orsinium. This is because that is a very well-known name in Elder Scrolls lore and it will help sell the content (per WhiteCoatSyndrome).
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The DLC shall be known as "Orsinium" because it sounds like it will be a repeat of the Hytbold incident - the city will overshadow any other content.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leandor wrote: »
    The DLC shall be known as "Orsinium" because it sounds like it will be a repeat of the Hytbold incident - the city will overshadow any other content.
    A quick Google shows that that's something from LoTRO; what was the incident?
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Read up on it. Hytbold was proclaimed as solo friendly endgame content. It ended up being a half year long grind of the same 5 daily "fetch" quests to build up the city in order to buy some gear that you had to do the same daily quests again to earn the currency for.

Let's say, it was not well appreciated by the players.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read up on it. Hytbold was proclaimed as solo friendly endgame content. It ended up being a half year long grind of the same 5 daily "fetch" quests to build up the city in order to buy some gear that you had to do the same daily quests again to earn the currency for.

Hmm, interesting. As I'm sure you are aware, part of Orsinium is supposed to be rebuilding the city... :D
    There will be daily quests, but hopefully they are a bit more interesting and in line with the Craglorn dailies (but solo-friendly), and it's not just grinding those daily quests that will rebuild Orsinium.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »

Hmm, interesting. As I'm sure you are aware, part of Orsinium is supposed to be rebuilding the city... :D
    There will be daily quests, but hopefully they are a bit more interesting and in line with the Craglorn dailies (but solo-friendly), and it's not just grinding those daily quests that will rebuild Orsinium.
    Hence my reference to Hytbold >:)

As to making it better: That depends on the quests. But no matter how varied you make the dailies, if you have to repeat them hundreds of times until finished, they ARE going to grow stale.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hence my reference to Hytbold >:)

As to making it better: That depends on the quests. But no matter how varied you make the dailies, if you have to repeat them hundreds of times until finished, they ARE going to grow stale.
    That's what I thought :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, being required to repeat something over and over in order to complete something would be bad. I'm hoping that the daily quests will be entirely optional and not required to progress the rebuild; you'd want to repeat them because they were interesting (like some of the Craglorn ones), not because you had to do them. The rebuild hopefully is like a sideline quest chain that runs parallel with the main zone story.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Remember how everyone kept calling it Hrothgar? I'm glad they changed the name. Now the worst we have to deal with is Orcsinium, which isn't that confusing.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    Remember how everyone kept calling it Hrothgar? I'm glad they changed the name. Now the worst we have to deal with is Orcsinium, which isn't that confusing.
    Yeah, a good plan on changing the name of the DLC. I'm pretty sure the zone will still be Wrothgar though; calling it Orsinium when only the city is Orsinium (and the zone is much more than just the city) would be misleading (and also just wrong).
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think I heard some of the devs still calling it Wrothgar. The name wasn't completely abandoned, in any case. I believe you are correct in that it's going to be the name of the zone.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is very much closer now, so I thought I'd update this with my current belief of how it will work:
    • The Zone will be called Wrothgar, since it covers the majority of the Wrothgar mountains and is not composed of just the city. Parallel to that, the datamined maps and loading screens for the zone are all called Wrothgar, and Wrothgar has already been established as a region in ESO's existing background lore.
    • The DLC will be called Orsinium. This is because that is a very well-known name in Elder Scrolls lore and it will help sell the content (per WhiteCoatSyndrome).

If this is the case,then why when I first got to the city,it says I have discovered Wrothgar? Not Orsinium.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Volkodav wrote: »
    If this is the case,then why when I first got to the city,it says I have discovered Wrothgar? Not Orsinium.
    It doesn't. At least, not for me. When you first enter Orsinium, it says "Orsinium Discovered". Anyway, there was no need to necro this thread for that. My last post here confirmed that the City is Orsinium, the DLC is Orsinium, and the Zone is Wrothgar.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Volkodav wrote: »
    It doesn't. At least, not for me. When you first enter Orsinium, it says "Orsinium Discovered". Anyway, there was no need to necro this thread for that. My last post here confirmed that the City is Orsinium, the DLC is Orsinium, and the Zone is Wrothgar.

My bad.I was thinking backwards.I just went in with a new char and it DID say Orsinium.
    Sorry bout that. XD
    Edited by Volkodav on January 21, 2016 1:43PM