The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

2-5fps in trials with GTX 970

Cadelay
Cadelay
✭✭✭
System Specs:
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 970 graphics card
  • Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.5GHz processor
  • ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard
  • 6gb RAM
  • Windows 10 recent install (1-2 months old)
  • SET LuaMemoryLimitMB "2048" in usersettings.txt
Yesterday I was running four small addons in Sanctum Ophidia (Papacrown, DressingRoom, Weapon Charge alert, Votan's Adapted settings), had restarted my client before the run, and had set my graphics to medium.

On certain fights, including the last boss, my fps dropped to 2-5. I should not be experiencing this low of fps with my system. It's not the addons. I don't know what to do anymore, it is so disheartening. The adaptive settings addon did not do anything to help even when it lowered my graphics more.

My PC temperatures are consistently good, no overheating at all. I monitor them actively.

This happened with my previous operating system, Windows 8.1 as well, on the same system build.

Help? Any suggestions? Do I really have to play on minimum settings with my higher end system?
Edited by Cadelay on December 21, 2015 10:43AM
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How recent was your windows 10 update? My computer performance overall was incredibly bad for a couple days after updating but otherwise, eso just like runs like crap unfortunately. It's so poorly optimized.

rip decibel
  • Cadelay
    Cadelay
    ✭✭✭
    Draxys wrote: »
    How recent was your windows 10 update? My computer performance overall was incredibly bad for a couple days after updating but otherwise, eso just like runs like crap unfortunately. It's so poorly optimized.

It was actually like a month or two ago, so not that recent. I know the game is poorly optimized. But it seems like I am the only one having such severe fps issues :(
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cadelay wrote: »
    Draxys wrote: »

It was actually like a month or two ago, so not that recent. I know the game is poorly optimized. But it seems like I am the only one having such severe fps issues :(

You're definitely not. Plenty of people with machines that should run the game smoothly have reported having fps issues.

rip decibel
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Open user settings in Wordpad > normal_maps=0 (disabling bump mapping) > save the file > start the game.
    This reduces the bump details which greatly improves performance.

Note, some armor styles will look very flat (Dunmer heavy chest for example).

Edit: reducing the view distance to 30-40 also greatly reduces fps drops.
    Edited by Septimus_Magna on December 21, 2015 11:16AM
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Cadelay
    Cadelay
    ✭✭✭
    Open user settings in Wordpad > normal_maps=0 (disabling bump mapping) > save the file > start the game.

I reduced the view distance to the lowest it could be at one point. Didn't make a difference...

I don't know about reducing more settings. I feel like this problem is too intense to be something like that. My GTX 970 shouldn't have to have flat armor. :(
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cadelay wrote: »

I reduced the view distance to the lowest it could be at one point. Didn't make a difference...

I don't know about reducing more settings. I feel like this problem is too intense to be something like that. My GTX 970 shouldn't have to have flat armor. :(

I feel you, even with GTX 970, 16GB RAM and 4,0GHz CPU I still had fps drops.

The point is that you cant play trails or large pvp battles when your fps drops to 2-5.

I have tried a lot and the best way to reduce these game breaking fps drops is to turn off bump mapping.

Most armor styles look fine btw, here's are couple screenshots with bump mapping turned off.

sqdtn4u.jpg

hlDX54a.jpg
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    980ti, 64gb ram, i7-5930 = 5-8 fps at times but 80-90 fps others... this has only been a problem for me and my guildies since about 3 minor patches ago. We all reported it then, we have tested turning our add-ons off 1 by 1 with no change.

Short version - some muppet may well have made a change that accidentally screwed up FPS, go check the detailed change record to see what it could be and reverse it.

If you don't have a proper change record after all this time than I volunteer my services to ride herd on your development function and introduce a proper approach to release and testing processes.
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • Shogunami
    Shogunami
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any of you peeps have any updates on this?

I have the same issue as described in this thread.

Such a shame, really. Just started doing trials with my guild and thought it'd be something fun to do every week. But it's not fun when it can't be done/enjoyed because of these absolutely ridiculous fps drops :(
    Edited by Shogunami on January 18, 2016 4:37PM
    -
    "I think Orcs first turned a bear head into food because it looks amazing." -Orzorga.
  • Asmodean
    Asmodean
    ✭✭✭
    These issues are likely CPU-related. You should download GPU-Z, and run it in the background during your fps problems. Then tab out and check the reported gpu usage. You can also do the same with another application on the CPU side of things.

First rule of thumb when testing GPU performance issues: if reducing the graphical-heavy options doesn't have a positive affect on fps. Then it's likely CPU-related. Also if the main setting that affects your fps is view distance related, it's also fairly likely that it's CPU related. Depending on the situation.

I actually just made another post somewhat related here: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2607225/#Comment_2607225.

Try disabling addons.

Edit: also - not that's directly related. But I see absolutely no reason for your LuaMemoryLimitMB to be set to 2 GB. That's completely ridiculous lol.
    Edited by Asmodean on January 20, 2016 2:48AM
  • Cadelay
    Cadelay
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot to update. I found what was doing this for ME specifically: It was an addon called AUI. I wasn't even running the minimap portion of it, but I disabled it and suddenly, no horrendous and unplayable fps drops. I have traded the addon for LUI and no such issues.

I still have fps drops but they're the expected ones, not the extreme ones.