The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Editic memory completion scroll.

Benefactor
Benefactor
✭✭✭✭
I was thinking about convince items and what I think would be a great addition to the crown store and I believe that a scroll that completes the editic memory would be a wonderful convince item. It's difficult enough to find every book in the game and this would allow lore nerds to be able to access the complete library of texts while in the game. What do other people think of this?
  • vyrusb23
    vyrusb23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a bad idea. If you want to read all of the lore, go online. It's all available online.

What are "convince items?"
    Edited by vyrusb23 on January 14, 2016 3:47PM
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There's this add on called lore finder, it shows you where all the books are. Use that instead before asking for more crown store convince items. Finding lore books add to your mage guild rank, getting to rank 10 gets you Shooting star skill, the "Master Wizard" title and the mages guild blue dye achievement. So if you can buy all the remaining lore books in the crown store, you're either forgoing all those skills/dyes/titles, or you've moved a step closer to P2W by buying instead of earning those perks.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • vyrusb23
    vyrusb23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's this add on called lore finder, it shows you where all the books are. Use that instead before asking for more crown store convince items. Finding lore books add to your mage guild rank, getting to rank 10 gets you Shooting star skill, the "Master Wizard" title and the mages guild blue dye achievement. So if you can buy all the remaining lore books in the crown store, you're either forgoing all those skills/dyes/titles, or you've moved a step closer to P2W by buying instead of earning those perks.

This person isn't even talking about lore books. This person is literally talking about every single book/scroll in the game.
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or they could just make all the books available to us at all times by doing what they do to some and putting them out in the open, near quest locations. It kinda sucks that some of them are kept in areas that we can't access once a quest is over.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abeille wrote: »
    Or they could just make all the books available to us at all times by doing what they do to some and putting them out in the open, near quest locations. It kinda sucks that some of them are kept in areas that we can't access once a quest is over.
    ^THIS!^

I love finding books, and I love completing collections. I am not sure a "pay up and have them all" feature would satisfy me... even though if there was one such consumable, I'd prolly buy it for my "librarian" character, just because... librarian.

But I would much rather have more ways to read the books in-game. Especially the ones I missed one place or another.
  • Benefactor
    Benefactor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I by no means mean that they should add something that gives you the mages guild lorebooks but instead the editic memory books which have no impact on game play besides convenient access to the lorebooks while in game.
  • CaptainObvious
    CaptainObvious
    ✭✭✭✭
    So the quests that you can't return to usually have areas out side where pages appear that are duplicates of those regular books.

Example, when you complete the halls of torment, the books from there appear outside the Harborage. Same thing applies to many quests as you advance through the regions.
    Due to a typo in the system, the area was accosted by the Daedric Prince Moar Lag Brawls.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That defeats the purpose of why the books were put there.You can get perks from reading books.A lot.I began to realize this when I would get the notice that my skill had just increased after reading some book.
  • Lithium Flower
    Lithium Flower
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are multiple copies of several of the books. They're all lying around the same general area. Some books have single copies but they are usually placed in a very obvious position - you might miss them running willy nilly through a dungeon but if you spend a few moments scanning a new room, you should be able to spot the tell-tale glow. There is no collection you cannot complete because [reasons].

If that still doesn't work for you, get the lorebook addon or consult online resources. I was able to get an ePUB (such as are available for all past TES titles too) of all the in-game books in 2014 that I still sometimes browse through on my phone. You're supposed to 'find' and/or discover them in the course of your explorations.

Reading books can raise skills, sure but so can doing other things. You don't need to read books to get level 50 in any skill line. For Mages Guild, you only need a little over 1/3 of the total lorebooks available in the game.

I don't know why people buy games when they don't want to actually play through the content. Pay 60 USD for the game, pay 180 to unlock all the achievements.
    Dragonknight Smith of the Lith | Rayna Dreloth
    Templar Josephine Belmont | Catherine Belmont | Irene Belmont
    Sorceror Blathanna | Eta Carina
    Nightblade Adda Vorenor

Ebonheart Pact | Daggerfall Covenant | EU | Champion Points ~ 800 | Crafter of all things
  • Benefactor
    Benefactor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Again I don't believe many people are realizing I'm not suggesting the skillbooks or the mages guild lorebooks just the editic memory collections. If you don't know what the editic memory is it's a new tab in the lorebooks that allows you to read every previous book you've seen that aren't mages guild lorebooks. There are over 3000 of these books and some are in quest locations you can't get back to once you complete the area it's in. It would be nothing more than a quality of life addition to the crown store as it has no bearing on gameplay at all.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I realise you're referring to Eidetic Memory and not Shalidor's Library. But then Skill Books are part of Eidetic Memory. If you start discounting Skill Books for certain reasons, there would then be other reasons to discount other books, until you end up with something that only gives you an arbitrary selection of books, and is ultimately not the "unlock all" convenience you were after. Unfortunately I don't think it would really work.

As for books that are locked into quest locations; they should always appear somewhere else when the quest is done. If there's a certain book (or books) from a quest that does not get relocated after the quest is complete, then maybe we should make a list.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp