Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Leather nodes for clothing surveys!

JoeCapricorn
JoeCapricorn
✭✭✭✭✭
So I spent an hour and a half in Wrothgar killing everything in sight. I was merciless and brutal, slaying mudcrabs like a total boss.

18 Rubedo Leather scraps. 160 Shadowhide scraps. Now, that's not how it has always been, and I don't think this patch sneakily nerfed drop rates for Rubedo leather, so sometimes I do get more Rubedo than just 18. RNG gods were not with me today.

I wish the drop rate for Rubedo scraps were higher to make up for the lack of nodes, especially when it comes to surveys. For cloth, metal and wood, the surveys give you more than enough material for the next writ. That's why I am doing them at this level even though it requires over 9000 mats for a set of armor. But it's mainly because I only need Rubedite for metal weapons, Ruby Ash for bows and staves, and I already crafted my Vet 16 weapons.

Another idea, as I hinted in my title, is to have a leather node spawn for surveys. I'd think one way this could be is in the form of a 1 hp animal, probably a deer, that has a special name and a unique looking hide. It only appears for the player and instead of killing it by attacking, there is a kill and harvest animation like with a plant and the deer disappears. A crowd of deer might not make sense. If there were just one of these exceptionally endowed (I'm talking about hide here) deer, perhaps they drop around 25-30 scraps, and on Wrothgar this is guaranteed to be Rubedo leather.

Maybe the deer could have different color hides for whatever material they drop - such as red for Rubedo leather or black and blue for Shadowhide and so on... and they sparkle if there is that Keen Eye passive active.
I simp for vampire lords and Glemyos Wildhorn
  • DEPRE5SED
    DEPRE5SED
    ✭✭
    So I spent an hour and a half in Wrothgar killing everything in sight. I was merciless and brutal, slaying mudcrabs like a total boss.

18 Rubedo Leather scraps. 160 Shadowhide scraps. Now, that's not how it has always been, and I don't think this patch sneakily nerfed drop rates for Rubedo leather, so sometimes I do get more Rubedo than just 18. RNG gods were not with me today.

I wish the drop rate for Rubedo scraps were higher to make up for the lack of nodes, especially when it comes to surveys. For cloth, metal and wood, the surveys give you more than enough material for the next writ. That's why I am doing them at this level even though it requires over 9000 mats for a set of armor. But it's mainly because I only need Rubedite for metal weapons, Ruby Ash for bows and staves, and I already crafted my Vet 16 weapons.

Another idea, as I hinted in my title, is to have a leather node spawn for surveys. I'd think one way this could be is in the form of a 1 hp animal, probably a deer, that has a special name and a unique looking hide. It only appears for the player and instead of killing it by attacking, there is a kill and harvest animation like with a plant and the deer disappears. A crowd of deer might not make sense. If there were just one of these exceptionally endowed (I'm talking about hide here) deer, perhaps they drop around 25-30 scraps, and on Wrothgar this is guaranteed to be Rubedo leather.

Maybe the deer could have different color hides for whatever material they drop - such as red for Rubedo leather or black and blue for Shadowhide and so on... and they sparkle if there is that Keen Eye passive active.

Run a loop in the outside area of old orsinium public dungeon. In that same hour and a half you should get around 40 to 60 rubedo scraps. Still low but better than nothing. You'll also pick up random items to break down for leather and what not.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's why I am doing them at this level even though it requires over 9000 mats for a set of armor. But it's mainly because I only need Rubedite for metal weapons, Ruby Ash for bows and staves, and I already crafted my Vet 16 weapons.

You don't need to turn in VR16 gear for Writs, you can use VR15 which takes 1/10th the mats. Making higher level items is just a waste of mats.

I have often wondered about not getting any Leathers for Surveys. Perhaps that is why we don't get asked to provide leather clothing as often as cloth items for Writs.

I am not sure we need an animal, I would take a Tanning Rack or even a Container at the Survey Location that has the Mats in it. Although an Animal of some kind would fit the "lore of the survey" as it were more so than a container just being left in the field would.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• CaptainObvious
    CaptainObvious
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or there could be "downed" Mammoths/Bears/etc. that can be harvested. If they needed to own up to the Rich adjective, there was talk about a mud crab with a Top Hat and a Monocle in another topic.
    Due to a typo in the system, the area was accosted by the Daedric Prince Moar Lag Brawls.
  • JoeCapricorn
    JoeCapricorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course I'm making V15 gear for the writs! LOL

I am usually able to keep up with that daily amount with the other materials, eventually building a surplus that I stow away on a mule. I have three stacks of Rubedite, two each of Ruby Ash, Ancestor Silk and Rubedo Leather. So I'm closer to my goal than I thought.

I also found a decent grind spot with plenty of leather drops. The only thing is, what do I do with all this Shadowhide? I might just sell it to merchants and keep a stock of it for writs.

The Mud Crab with a top hat and monocle would be hilarious though! xD
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I also found a decent grind spot with plenty of leather drops. The only thing is, what do I do with all this Shadowhide? I might just sell it to merchants and keep a stock of it for writs.

On the PC, Shadowhide has dropped below what in game Vendor Merchants pay, so I just sell it to them. Don't even bother listing it in the Guild Kiosks

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I use my shadowhide and other tier 9 mats to level up crafting skills on alts. Make a ton of belts on my crafter, transfer to alt, decon everything, rinse & repeat.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • JoeCapricorn
    JoeCapricorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an idea - I am trying to get an alt to high levels of each equipment crafting skill so she can harvest nodes, but that's a very long term plan.

But Shadowhide is the only Tier 9 material that I have excessive amounts of. I still grab all the other Tier 9 mats when I can to keep up with my Tier 9 writ character.

But yeah, it's probably better to sell it off to an NPC or put it in a guild bank.

If there was a commodity market for Shadowhide I feel for anyone who thought it would retain value in the long term.
  • MiBlueEagle
    MiBlueEagle
    ✭✭
    Why is it that when deconstructing V15 and V16 items, the wood, silk, and ingots all produce multiple pieces, but when it comes to leather items you only get 1 piece of rubedo leather 100% of the time? I've been watching it closely since I need almost 1000 pieces for my gear. This seems off, especially since you can get crafting surveys to find quantities of the other items, there should be some sort of higher drop rate for the leather to compensate.