Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Magika Cloth Sorc VS Magika Cloth Templar

oxymartyr_ESO
I'm torn between the two for a main class to actually level up. I love the idea of being a dps caster using the burning power of the gods to kill people but I also like the stupid damage that my sorc is putting out at a low level. Mostly going to do PVE with some PVP when I get comfortable with the game. So how do the two compare at max level am i likely to be 1 of a million magika sorcs or will my templar be told to just respec heals?
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both do great damage. Sorcs have much better defensive capability in the formula of shields, templars are much easier to play (1-2 button rotations). IMHO I would go with templar because it is a good first class to play, since it is easy, plus you won't need to respect or change if you want to heal since you will pretty much be using the same gear/ stats for both
    Options
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, your templar will be encouraged or asked to go heal a lot. Would be lying if I said otherwise. They're best healers, so it's unavoidable.

Also templar top dps is mele(Puncturing Sweep main skill) so not really a caster archetype, even if you're a magicka user. They currently cant pull of a traditional ranged caster/mage build. At least not a competitive one. The result is like a weak version of a sorc, in both PvP and PvE.

Basically templars can do competitive dps with correct build if you dont mind being mostly mele. But sorc will always be a hint better dmg-wise and just overall easier since you can go ranged at any time, without loosing much dmg.

Sorc is also way more survivable and capable in PvP if you play a dps-oriented build. Templar needs to build more towards tank/heal if they want similar survivability, giving up their dmg.

Make a templar if you want to be flexible. You can go between tank, heal, support and dps fairly easy, you can do all of it the same time even lol. You will always be needed in PvE groups as a flexible templar. Go sorc if you want to dps as main and really dive into it, being the best possible dmg dealer.
    Options
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are wanting to play DPS. I would say go with sorc, They are more the DPS class. However, as a templar most will probably want you in group (PvP or PvE) as a healer not DPS.

But, play whatever you like however you want. Just pointing that out.
    Edited by Lucky28 on January 16, 2016 7:43PM
    Invictus
    Options
  • Mumyo
    Mumyo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both do great damage. Sorcs have much better defensive capability in the formula of shields, templars are much easier to play (1-2 button rotations). IMHO I would go with templar because it is a good first class to play, since it is easy, plus you won't need to respect or change if you want to heal since you will pretty much be using the same gear/ stats for both

Sorc saying a templar is easy to play xD u are a pathetic joke sir, look up the vma leaderboard.

First week 100 sorcs finished, 10 templars did it in the same time...
    Sorc can pull max 60k single target dps, templar does 20kish.

I love those guys... talking about easiness having no clue.
    Sorc rotation is 1button and thats left mouse click , thx overload which is so underpowered.
    Play templar if u want a pvp challenge in small scale, otehrwise u will be doomed as healer.

Play sorc if u want the easiest class in the game, stack shields, kill everything. Get a free ticket for vma.

This game is having a deep balance crisis right now.
    Edited by Mumyo on January 16, 2016 9:21PM
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mumyo wrote: »

Sorc saying a templar is easy to play xD u are a pathetic joke sir, look up the vma leaderboard.

Sorc rotation is 1button and thats left mouse click , thx overload which is so underpowered.
    Play templar if u want a pvp challenge in small scale, otehrwise u will be doomed as healer.

Play sorc if u want the easiest class in the game, stack shields, kill everything. Get a free ticket for vma.

Well templar rotation for vma is one button also and that is jabs <3 (i don´t know what the magica morph is called...)

:joy:

Edit: Jeah i did complete it with this "tactic".
    Not arguing about sorcs being a lot more failsafe. But magica templar IS easy in pve.
    Edited by Derra on January 16, 2016 10:30PM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

Options
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

Well templar rotation for vma is one button also and that is jabs <3 (i don´t know what the magica morph is called...)

:joy:

Edit: Jeah i did complete it with this "tactic".
    Not arguing about sorcs being a lot more failsafe. But magica templar IS easy in pve.

Plus mag templars can clease on round 7 ^^ Have a high dps aoe heal skill is also helpful.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
    Options
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoa chill out there it's ok. Templar is easier to level with if you just picked up the game is all they were saying. Templar is pretty damn effective at grinding mobs which is 90% of levelling up. Sorc is tricky untill you get some passives/learn to read combat cues etc. All classes present their own challenges at end game; we all have 6 slots on each bar that we try to make the most of.
    PC | EU
    Options
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For PvE sorcerer is the better one especially if you are solo. for PvP I say templar as sorcerers only AOE are lightning (ground DOT), surge heavy attacks (buggy), streak (nerf on consecutive uses), and negate (can be CC broken to render it useless seriously was it THAT hard to move out of it! this is the stupidest nerf I ever heard of.) temps spear skills can really mess up players plus the allies can synergize shards and many other temp moves for great effect. your total DPS will most likely be higher however your individual target DPS will be lower.However I suspect another nerf to templar DPS...
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
    Options
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For PvE sorcerer is the better one especially if you are solo. for PvP I say templar as sorcerers only AOE are lightning (ground DOT), surge heavy attacks (buggy), streak (nerf on consecutive uses), and negate (can be CC broken to render it useless seriously was it THAT hard to move out of it! this is the stupidest nerf I ever heard of.) temps spear skills can really mess up players plus the allies can synergize shards and many other temp moves for great effect. your total DPS will most likely be higher however your individual target DPS will be lower.However I suspect another nerf to templar DPS...

Think you got the pve/pvp mixed up there.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
    Options
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah he's right. for early in the game sorc is not so good. a Badass endgame class, it does however take a good deal of time to unlock the sorcs core abilities. the abilities that make the sorc a badass, till you unlock said abilities the sorc is fragile doesn't have many if any good heals and rather low DPS.

Late game, sorc is great. Early game, not so much.
    Edited by Lucky28 on January 17, 2016 2:23PM
    Invictus
    Options