Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Vampirism vs. Fire resist debuff -- can you negate all of it?

TBONE_OG
TBONE_OG
✭✭✭
The extra fire damage taken as a vampire is currently at 25%. However, through CP, resist glyphs, and racial passives, we can negate most if not all of this.

My question is... is their a soft cap on how much fire damage a vampire can negate? I've heard rumors that no matter how much fire resist a vampire has, they will always take a 5% increase to fire damage. I was led to believe that all soft caps were removed from the game a few patches ago.

It is possible to actually be a vampire with... say 10% fire resist (35% total, minus 25% due to passive)?

Can anyone clarify whether or not this is true, or shine some light on the subject?

Thank you.
  • TBONE_OG
    TBONE_OG
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone? I guess I could try to test it by standing in fire after messing with champion points...
    Options
  • caperon
    caperon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Simple therorycrafting:

DMG as Vampire:
    100 + 25% = 125 base dmg
    Lets say you have 100 points in elemental resistance = 25% reduction

125 - 25% = 93.75 dmg recived

DMG as no vampire
    100 - 25% = 75 dmg recived

As you see, at the same CP and resistances you will allways recive more dmg. As vampire you can use jewelry slots to get more fire resistance or be dunmer or bretton and recive a bit less dmg, but then you are trading regen or spell power o weapon dmg to recive almost same fire dmg than a no vampire. In pvp you will still get rerkt by camo and dawnbreaker but in pve you will do a bit less dmg but won't die as much because of fire.

As a general answer, yes, you can mostly negate the fire weakness if you focus your CP and built to it, but you will be trading off other aspects of your character. It's your choice.
    Options
  • TBONE_OG
    TBONE_OG
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply, @caperon

Helpful information, no doubt. But this doesn't answer the question about the soft cap. It's not a matter of how much fire resist you have when it's programmed into the game that you will always receive 5% extra fire damage no matter what.

Also, I would never use a fire glyph to knock out fire resist for the examples you mentioned. That's why it's all about the race passives, and champion points for me.

In theory... in order to negate all of the fire damage debuff on a vampire, you need a total of 25% resistance to fire. But if there's a soft cap (of the 5%), you'll only be getting 20% of that 25%. Maybe you have 40% in fire resist? Nope. With a soft cap you'd only be receiving the 20% out of the 40% because the game says you have to have the 5% debuff.

I'm only looking for proof if there is an actual soft cap... but I'm coming up empty and thinking it's all bs.
    Options
  • caperon
    caperon
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only cap i know is the magical resistance (around 33k) that means 50% resistance and its a hard cap. Fire damage uses magic resistance and fire resistance stacks with magic resistance when calculating mitigation.

So lets see at the extreme case:

As vampire:
    100 + 25% = 125 base dmg
    Max resistance = 50% mitigation
    93.75/2 = 46.875 final dmg

As no vampire
    Max resistance = 50% mitigation
    75/2 = 37.5 final dmg

As said, in equal CP and resistances, vampires recive more dmg ,but certainly, with this resistances a vampire would have "negated" the fire weakness, he would be reciving 46.875 dmg, that is a lot less than 100 (non vampire base dmg).
    Edited by caperon on January 14, 2016 7:11PM
    Options
  • TBONE_OG
    TBONE_OG
    ✭✭✭
    Equal resistances, sure. A vampire should receive more damage to fire.

So in short, it seems that there is no soft cap on how much fire damage a vampire could negate... unless they meet the total magic resistance hard cap (50%)?

Technically a vampire could have more fire resist than a non-vampire (with 0% resist fire) IF the champion points, glyphs, etc, were allotted. Does this sound correct?
    Options
  • MormondPayne_EP
    MormondPayne_EP
    ✭✭✭✭
    caperon wrote: »
    Simple therorycrafting:

DMG as Vampire:
    100 + 25% = 125 base dmg

DMG as no vampire

As you see, at the same CP and resistances you will allways recive more dmg. As vampire you can use jewelry slots to get more fire resistance or be dunmer or bretton and recive a bit less dmg, but then you are trading regen or spell power o weapon dmg to recive almost same fire dmg than a no vampire. In pvp you will still get rerkt by camo and dawnbreaker but in pve you will do a bit less dmg but won't die as much because of fire.

As a general answer, yes, you can mostly negate the fire weakness if you focus your CP and built to it, but you will be trading off other aspects of your character. It's your choice.

This is assuming that ZOS undrstand how maths works and I think it's pretty evident that they dont.
    Options
  • caperon
    caperon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Topithus wrote: »
    Equal resistances, sure. A vampire should receive more damage to fire.

So in short, it seems that there is no soft cap on how much fire damage a vampire could negate... unless they meet the total magic resistance hard cap (50%)?

Technically a vampire could have more fire resist than a non-vampire (with 0% resist fire) IF the champion points, glyphs, etc, were allotted. Does this sound correct?

Yes, its correct.
    Options
  • MrGigglypants
    MrGigglypants
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget about undeath
    Options
  • old_mufasa
    old_mufasa
    ✭✭✭✭

That doesn't really work.. I have tested many times.. standing and letting a mob kill me from 100 to 0 life and never saw a 50% damage reduction in the recap... same damage every hit till death... bah so many bugs!!
    Options
  • TBONE_OG
    TBONE_OG
    ✭✭✭
    old_mufasa wrote: »

That doesn't really work.. I have tested many times.. standing and letting a mob kill me from 100 to 0 life and never saw a 50% damage reduction in the recap... same damage every hit till death... bah so many bugs!!

I'd like to see some more research on this. If true, that's very upsetting.
    Options
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Topithus wrote: »
    old_mufasa wrote: »

I'd like to see some more research on this. If true, that's very upsetting.

It's even worse in pvp, soon as you get into that 30%~ execute range your dead either way, the little bit of DR doesn't help so essentially it's useful for 50%-->30% hp.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
    Options